Used 1991 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Paying Tribute to my 5 Series
By hb1991

1991 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

316k miles and still drives like a dream. This car has been in my family for 12 years and has not given me any major mechanical problems. This has been and will be the best car I will ever own. It has reliably performed throughout its service life. No bells and whistles, just a bare bones car that never acts up. I reliably changed the oil every 4k miles and did all maintenance myself. For a 21 year old car it shines up like a new penny. Beautiful, reliable, and a joy to drive. I will miss her when she's gone...ought to go to a BMW museum. What a joy.

1991 blk on blk 525i beamer - Luv it!
By Lovely Beverly

1991 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

I finally decided to give the 1991 525i a review. I only drive BMWs and the 525i is my 3rd beamer (automatic), I prefer manuals but... My 525i has 243,878 miles on it and it still rides smooth, tight and stiff. I did put a transmission in it at around 210k because the 3rd gear went out. Above all the regular maintenance and small things that goes wrong, like the cig, lighter(s) not working, I love this machine. It's the bomb.

Road handling A+. Rear windows go all the way down (unlike American made cars). Front grill, the width of the car, trunk space, radio, tool kit, center console (I use the intergrated phone area as a cup holder) works great! Door locks, roll up the windows with the key, all sorts of good features.

Car mats, cigarette lighter unit, dual climate control for front and back stopped working early on, windshield wipers should be better quality. Rear lining by rear speakers should be replaced with the same lining used overhead.

Awesome Vehicle
By tcana6

1991 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

This is the very first BMW that I have ever owned. It's really perfect small to my style and sporty looking.

Dash board diplays all problems, mpg rating gauge. one touch sunroof

None, excellent job guys. THANKS

Billy's Machine on Wheels
By Bill D

1991 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

I have always dreamed of having a bmw because it has been in our family for around 25 years. That same car is still driving to this day with over 200,000. When I purchased mine with 130,000 miles. I loved the way it drives and how it handles the road and curves. I had my brother who owns a lincoln continental 1991 same year as mine and he test drove it for around 80 minutes and he told me that he should purchase this car and looked at him and said we are car shopping for me not you. he said this bmw drove better then his car. So I bought it and love. I never have any issues and my bmw now has over 161,000 miles and still going strong.

I love the way the seat handles with the seat warmer. I like the alarm with the code feature in it.

They need to make more BMW's affordable for everyone to experience. Once people try one they fall in love with it!

E-34 --- The best kept secret !
By Josh S.

1991 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

I've had my 525i for about a year and a half, and have no regrets about the purchase. This car feels like a "real" car. It feels safe and solid, the 2.5 straight six is adequate, and the car handles well. The 50/50 weight distribution is one reason for this. The build quality is outstanding and the design seems straightforward and no-nonsense. It looks timeless, and as a used vehicle, I think one gets a lot for their money with this car. And besides, since this car is designed to be stable at 130 m.p.h., imagine how stable it feels at 70 m.p.h.! Since I enjoy fixing my own vehicles, I consider parts availability and dealership cooperation important. My local dealer has been obliging!

50/50 front/rear weight distribution, 4 wheel disc antilock brakes, solid feel, general look/design (including dash), heated seats, the car is a good value, nice little extras like the trip computer, "anti-strater-grind" ignition key feature, big trunk, and classic, great handling rear drive layout.

The 2.5 six cylinder could use a bit more torque. The car is reliable,but parts can be expensive when compared with other makes. The hood hits the windshield wiper arms when closed- needs some fiddling to fix). Interior parts are well made, but door panel trim can separtate.