1990 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: Sum greater than its parts

1990 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

525i Sedan (2.5L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Sum greater than its parts
By James on

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for nearly a year now and I'm very pleased with it. Overall it's a solid automobile. A car this old does have its kinks and quirks but it has always, always been reliable. The feeling I get when I get behind the wheel and fire it up is irreplaceable. This is my second Bimmer and I don't think I could own anything else at this point. Buyer beware!

In its day it was nearly at the top of luxury sedans. The interior and exterior reflect that. The dash makes sense. The seats are firm yet comfortable. This car is deceptively fast. No, not blinding speed. The kind that creeps up on you. Look at the speedo and you're going faster than you think.

Bigger wheels and tires will help the grip (not that there's any lack of it). A performance chip and some mild upgrades the intake and exhaust will help performance and MPG. These are easily acquired aftermarket upgrades.