1990 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: among the best in the world

1990 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

535i Sedan (3.4L 6-cyl.)

among the best in the world
By A on

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

Completely different car from my previous Honda Accord. It's superior to just about any car out there overall - smooth, elegant, comfortable, reliable, and the performance is amazing. Even after 16 years, if I go to a new car dealership and test drive some high-end model, I drive back home and think to myself how much better this one is. I was initially hesitant about it due to its age and mileage (and reports of subpar BMW reliability), but it's held up as well as my Honda, looks way better and is far more comfortable. What really sold me was feeling like I was driving 40-50mph, and seeing that the speedometer showed about 95. Too easy to get speeding tickets.

Best is the combination of Cadillac comfort (needs good tires to do it justice, though) with Miata handling. The manual transmission (very rare on these, I hear) works wonderfully with the inline-6. It looks fantastic - black on black - and is one sexy beast with good window tint.

Poor fuel economy (18-21), no rear headrests. Only the dealership is willing to work on it. Some squeaks and rattles, though less than many much newer cars. The 93-95 wider grille is much better. Typical 150k+ problems, mostly cosmetic. No aftermarket CD player fits it without expensive rewiring.