Used 1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Nice 5 series
By 1990bmw

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

I have had this car little over 2 years and have put over 60K on it. The thing is a rock solid tank, 17 years old with 217,000 miles and counting, no problems outside of brakes and tires. Air is air cold and the heated seats are great in the winter.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders would come in handy at times???

Sum greater than its parts
By James

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for nearly a year now and I'm very pleased with it. Overall it's a solid automobile. A car this old does have its kinks and quirks but it has always, always been reliable. The feeling I get when I get behind the wheel and fire it up is irreplaceable. This is my second Bimmer and I don't think I could own anything else at this point. Buyer beware!

Favorite Features

In its day it was nearly at the top of luxury sedans. The interior and exterior reflect that. The dash makes sense. The seats are firm yet comfortable. This car is deceptively fast. No, not blinding speed. The kind that creeps up on you. Look at the speedo and you're going faster than you think.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger wheels and tires will help the grip (not that there's any lack of it). A performance chip and some mild upgrades the intake and exhaust will help performance and MPG. These are easily acquired aftermarket upgrades.

First car!
By bdelaney

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

Well I bought my 525i about 3 month ago it is my first car. The car broke down on me about 2 weeks ago and I just barely got another job so I can fix it. I love this car, greatest car I've ever drove. The crank position sensor went but she's got a lot of miles. I put some upgrades into her (Aftermarket clutch, Cold air intake and straight pipes). This car is so fast with the upgrades, but the engine does need to be rebuilt.

Favorite Features

Speed, Handling, Comfort and the girls dig it.

Suggested Improvements

Tad bit more horsepower. A power chip works great though.

Great 525i
By Jonathan W

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

Purchased with 71,000 miles now have 141,000. Car has been very reliable and fun to drive. handles great and only the lack of real power is a downside. Despite lower hp, this car cruises at 85 and handles great. Been an excellent ownership experience.

Favorite Features

Handling, brakes, build quality, style with sport wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Add 16 sport wheels and tires and it looks and handles better.

among the best in the world
By A

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan

Completely different car from my previous Honda Accord. It's superior to just about any car out there overall - smooth, elegant, comfortable, reliable, and the performance is amazing. Even after 16 years, if I go to a new car dealership and test drive some high-end model, I drive back home and think to myself how much better this one is. I was initially hesitant about it due to its age and mileage (and reports of subpar BMW reliability), but it's held up as well as my Honda, looks way better and is far more comfortable. What really sold me was feeling like I was driving 40-50mph, and seeing that the speedometer showed about 95. Too easy to get speeding tickets.

Favorite Features

Best is the combination of Cadillac comfort (needs good tires to do it justice, though) with Miata handling. The manual transmission (very rare on these, I hear) works wonderfully with the inline-6. It looks fantastic - black on black - and is one sexy beast with good window tint.

Suggested Improvements

Poor fuel economy (18-21), no rear headrests. Only the dealership is willing to work on it. Some squeaks and rattles, though less than many much newer cars. The 93-95 wider grille is much better. Typical 150k+ problems, mostly cosmetic. No aftermarket CD player fits it without expensive rewiring.