1990 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Good solid Car
By C. G. B. on 06/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

This is just about the best over the road car i have ever owned. Great power and handling, Rock solid on the road. Only a few small problems in the year I have owned it. Watch out for the HVAC fan on used ones, fan only works on full blast. Power door locks also are easily broken.

Best Car Owned So Far!
By ScrumDawg on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 535i two years ago from BMW of Nashville as is. It had one previous owner who used this dealership for all services. The car was running hot and they changed the thermostat thinking that was the problem. As it turned out it was the head gasket. They replaced it for FREE. Since then I have had to replace some hoses, clamps, struts, suspension bars, brakes and tires. As long as I maintain the engine with regular fluid changes and tune-ups I plan on driving this car to 300K miles. If you are thinking of purchasing one, be sure you get the 3.5 litre engine vs the 2.5. The weight of the body and frame demand it.

I Love My Car, !!BUT!!
By Terry Akron OH. on 05/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I bought my car from a friend who purchased it new. He had it for 10yrs and kept in perfect condition.I have had for 3yrs now and things are starting to go wrong with it. I bought it with 71,000.00mi now it has 150,000.00mi it still runs great, drives great, and looks great, !!BUT!! things are starting to wear out. I wish things did not cost so much to get repaired. Someone please help!

525i classic
By bmw admirer on 05/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Bought 1989 525i new. It was my 3rd BMW. It has been great. No problems in 117000 miles. Great drive. I am going to get a new car for improved safety (i.e. airbags). Unfortunately, the next car won't be a BMW because of weird style and i-drive of coming 530i similar to 745i.

5 series eval
By steve galgoul on 04/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

the car has been quite reliable for 13 years, the interior leather should be upgraded, as is showed wear signs quite prematurely,i would consider another if sales incentives,(low finance,free finance)were available...Germany's gutless failure to support the US war effort could affect my decision

The 535i Still Looks Classy
By Silver Fox on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

A blast to drive! It looks rich, even today, its comfortable and classy. The automatic transmission is fine after 123,000 miles. I had to replace a leaking head gasket at 123,000. Otherwise, it has only needed regular repairs. The black paint still shines up well. Friends think it is a newer car than it is.

This puppy flies
By Thomas E on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I'm the third owner to this vehicle. I recently purchased it from a friend for a few grands. Besides the fact that it's a BMW, I was blessed with its color- electric red. This puppy has over 170k miles on it and still drives super smooth. Friends who drive 2002 non-bmw cars immediately feel the difference when they get into my '90 BMW. If treated right, these engines can gracefully acquire 250k- 300k miles. I've yet to spend a dime on it. It honestly feels like a $25k dollar car, which isn't even a fraction for its current retail value.

I LOVE IT
By rjs5689 on 12/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 1990 and still today she runs strong. i love hitting the parkway entrance becuase i know i can just hit it and fly on with no problem. It is very comfortablt it is black on black so it does get kinda hit. the auto transmisison shifts like a charm even with the 90000 mile son it now.

Amazing Teuton
By SemperUbi on 11/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. Despite its age, it holds up well. Ours is a 1990 Bronzit (BMW-speak for gold) auto; the slushbox is perhaps the car's only fault. It is a crime to bipass the BMW stick. Anyway, it has 208 hp, but feels like much more. Roars back and forth between CT and NYC in 2 hours (we live on the eastern side of CT) easily. Has never had any major problems. May or may not require the timing chain done; better to do it than face the risk. Reliability has been totally spotless. As Yuppies start to sell these in favor of more haute couture cars, these become great buys. Destined to be a classic.

BMW 535i
By Nate in NY on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

The best thign to do with is car, is find an open road. Even though my car is 13 years old, it still is exceptionally fun to drive. IT handles well, and has plenty of kick.