Used 1990 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By Doug

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

WOW! What a pleasurable car to drive. This car makes you want to simply go out for a drive. The design of the cockpit helps the occupants feel like they are part of the car. In the sport mode this car is a fast and tight luxury sports car. It's very agile, and responsive. I was searching for one for about a month when I just got a smoking hot deal. Be patient, and you will find a very nice model, that you will not regret buying.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the sport mode option. The car is very fast and well, sporty in this option. It turns the luxury sedan into a performance vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

NONE

1989 BMW e34 525ia
By Adam Holland

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I purchased the vehicle with over 230k and I personally have put about 90k mostly highway miles. The vehicle is in remarkable condition for its age (nicer than most 2 to 3 year old cars) and is very easy to work on. The automatic went out at 250k but I was able to purchase a rebuilt one for 1200 and installed it myself. Considering I purchased the car for 1300 this was not a bad deal. I perform all maintenance myself (including tires) and I have multiple connections across the country for parts. After installing a performance chip and tweaking the air intake system I am averaging 29 mpg highway and 25 in the city. Excellent car for the money for either the do it yourselfer or the avg driver.

Favorite Features

Design style,reliability, and comfort. The 525i makes for an excellent communter car especially when you look at the cost. While I could afford a new BMW, why bother? When I can own 4 vinatge models that look as if they rolled of the showroom floor and not have to sale my kids.

Suggested Improvements

Not a big fan of timing belts on the M20 engine. This has been the death of many an e34 due to owner neglect. (they must be changed every 60k miles) For the avg driver I reccomend either a 535i which comes with a timing chain, or a 91 and up 525i. electrical system pain to troubleshoot.

love car, hate all its problems
By alliehhhh

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

love car, hate all its problems. Many electricl problems. Battery always stalling. BMW dealership outragous!!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

seat

Suggested Improvements

more acceleration

It Sucks
By Mike76

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I thought i bought a real dream but it was all a nightmare. i bought this 90 525I with 120k on it in 98. it ran great for couple of miles then fell apart. the drive shaft fell off $600, crank shaft $1000, electrical problems. i can go on and on.

Favorite Features

the barking and handling, rides smooth. great heat and a/c.

Suggested Improvements

build quality and manicaly

Great 525i
By Jonathan W

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Purchased with 71,000 miles now have 141,000. Car has been very reliable and fun to drive. handles great and only the lack of real power is a downside. Despite lower hp, this car cruises at 85 and handles great. Been an excellent ownership experience.

Favorite Features

Handling, brakes, build quality, style with sport wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Add 16 sport wheels and tires and it looks and handles better.