Used 1990 BMW 5 Series 525i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

1989 BMW e34 525ia
By Adam Holland

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I purchased the vehicle with over 230k and I personally have put about 90k mostly highway miles. The vehicle is in remarkable condition for its age (nicer than most 2 to 3 year old cars) and is very easy to work on. The automatic went out at 250k but I was able to purchase a rebuilt one for 1200 and installed it myself. Considering I purchased the car for 1300 this was not a bad deal. I perform all maintenance myself (including tires) and I have multiple connections across the country for parts. After installing a performance chip and tweaking the air intake system I am averaging 29 mpg highway and 25 in the city. Excellent car for the money for either the do it yourselfer or the avg driver.

Design style,reliability, and comfort. The 525i makes for an excellent communter car especially when you look at the cost. While I could afford a new BMW, why bother? When I can own 4 vinatge models that look as if they rolled of the showroom floor and not have to sale my kids.

Not a big fan of timing belts on the M20 engine. This has been the death of many an e34 due to owner neglect. (they must be changed every 60k miles) For the avg driver I reccomend either a 535i which comes with a timing chain, or a 91 and up 525i. electrical system pain to troubleshoot.

love car, hate all its problems
By alliehhhh

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

love car, hate all its problems. Many electricl problems. Battery always stalling. BMW dealership outragous!!!!!!!!

seat

more acceleration

It Sucks
By Mike76

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I thought i bought a real dream but it was all a nightmare. i bought this 90 525I with 120k on it in 98. it ran great for couple of miles then fell apart. the drive shaft fell off $600, crank shaft $1000, electrical problems. i can go on and on.

the barking and handling, rides smooth. great heat and a/c.

build quality and manicaly

Great 525i
By Jonathan W

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Purchased with 71,000 miles now have 141,000. Car has been very reliable and fun to drive. handles great and only the lack of real power is a downside. Despite lower hp, this car cruises at 85 and handles great. Been an excellent ownership experience.

Handling, brakes, build quality, style with sport wheels.

Add 16 sport wheels and tires and it looks and handles better.

Best 5-series = 1989-1995!
By TDI_BUFF

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 2000 with 129k miles. It had obviously been well cared for by previous owners. I have had the car for 3 years and it now has 174k miles. I have NEVER been disappointed by this reliability. I have replaced some normal wear items (clutch, shocks, timing belt, etc.) and I have repaired a few unexpected things (instrument lights, air conditioning, oil pan gasket). Overall, I have been pleased with the superb engineering of this BMW.

The car handles beautifully in corners as well as on the freeway, even at speeds over 100mph. The brakes are amazing! And, my wife and I love the dual climate controls.

None.