1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
First car!
By bdelaney

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

Well I bought my 525i about 3 month ago it is my first car. The car broke down on me about 2 weeks ago and I just barely got another job so I can fix it. I love this car, greatest car I've ever drove. The crank position sensor went but she's got a lot of miles. I put some upgrades into her (Aftermarket clutch, Cold air intake and straight pipes). This car is so fast with the upgrades, but the engine does need to be rebuilt.

Favorite Features

Speed, Handling, Comfort and the girls dig it.

Suggested Improvements

Tad bit more horsepower. A power chip works great though.

I love My 535
By Mike

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car three years ago with 143K miles and I have 205K on it now. I have replaced the driveshaft twice and the heater core. I recently did the exhaust, which was expensive - $1300 for the cat back. I am handy with cars and do most of my own work. This car has not one rattle and very minor rust after 19 years! What a fantastic car!

Sum greater than its parts
By James

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for nearly a year now and I'm very pleased with it. Overall it's a solid automobile. A car this old does have its kinks and quirks but it has always, always been reliable. The feeling I get when I get behind the wheel and fire it up is irreplaceable. This is my second Bimmer and I don't think I could own anything else at this point. Buyer beware!

Favorite Features

In its day it was nearly at the top of luxury sedans. The interior and exterior reflect that. The dash makes sense. The seats are firm yet comfortable. This car is deceptively fast. No, not blinding speed. The kind that creeps up on you. Look at the speedo and you're going faster than you think.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger wheels and tires will help the grip (not that there's any lack of it). A performance chip and some mild upgrades the intake and exhaust will help performance and MPG. These are easily acquired aftermarket upgrades.

Timeless Beauty
By adrafts

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

As the years go on, it is amazing how great this car still looks and feels. The feel of the drive is incredible, you really feel like you are one with the car. For a now 18 year old car, it really stands out. I have it in the blue-silver as pictured above--- gorgeous color. All the electronics are easy to use and very innovative, especially for its time. The dash is very well laid out and easy to read also. An overall excellent car! Sure to be a classic.

Favorite Features

All the amazing standard features: dual power leather seats, power windows/locks/sunroof. The drive itself!

Suggested Improvements

Repair costs are fairly expensive and the fuel economy could be a little better.

Bimmerlover
By Bobby

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

This is the second 5-series I have owneD. My E28 was great and fun to drive but it was automatic, this E34 is my new baby and I just love this car so so much, I cannot let her get dirty. It is a pleasure to drive and sit in, shifting through the gears and getting up to the top speed is my plan every day I get in. It still turns a lot of heads. I love everything about this car, and can't wait till I get another one, I was hooked since the last BMW my friend whom is a bimmer lover warned me about not being able to drive another tybe of car after getting into a BMW.

Favorite Features

5 speed, hand rest, door locks.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a little more power.

A fun car that never goes out of style
By seabow2

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan

Purchased my Bimmer a year ago from the 2nd owner with 130k miles on it. On a scale of 1-10 it was an 8.5 due to the previous owner not driving it very often. I mention this becuase I want to give this vehicle a fair rating. The 535i is supposed to a well built vehicle and I believe it be. I had to replace quite a few small items to make this car fully functional. Once that was completed, this 17 year old car was like new! The handling is exceptional and the responsiveness is great. It is a pleasure to drive on a daily basis. I would buy an older 535 any day of the week over a lot of newer cars. I'm glad to see BMW started making them again because they are truly wonderful.

Favorite Features

Handling, powerful engine, nice eight speaker stereo system that was ahead of its time, and the on-board computer.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe the sensors could last a little longer.

Nice 5 series
By 1990bmw

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

I have had this car little over 2 years and have put over 60K on it. The thing is a rock solid tank, 17 years old with 217,000 miles and counting, no problems outside of brakes and tires. Air is air cold and the heated seats are great in the winter.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders would come in handy at times???

One of the Best BMWs ever made
By MilosD

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan

This car has served me very well in the past 3 years. I used to commute 100 miles every day and it didn't miss a beat. I put in a rebuilt head, which it didn't really need, but other than that I have 50K on it since I bought it and it hasn't taken any money to maintain since the cylinder head rebuild which cost me 3K. Other things to go bad are the thrust arms, remedied by installing urethane busings at a cost of $200.

Favorite Features

Straight 6 engine is awesome in city driving, great handling, comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

It really needs 40 more horsepower but in that case you can get the v8 540i. Couldn't affort it and maintenence is way more expensive so I live without 250 HP.

Fast and Solid
By mike

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan

This was our first BMW and served our business well for the first 4 years with just the right mix of speed/handling/comfort for long drives along with the luxury suitable to impress when taking clients around town. Since then we have had 4 other BMWs, but this one remains my favorite - especially on road trips. Very reliable, but when something needs repair or even scheduled maintenance, the costs always seem outrageous. My problems have been electrical (CPU sword board twice, radio controls introducing static) and it's on its 3rd transmission (once at 95,000 and again at 175,000 miles). Reasonable gas mileage (18 city, 25 hiway). Interior and exterior are awesome even after 16 years.

Favorite Features

Handling and comfort at high speed on-board computer for trips, wrap-around cockpit, styling, CD changer.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders.

among the best in the world
By A

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan

Completely different car from my previous Honda Accord. It's superior to just about any car out there overall - smooth, elegant, comfortable, reliable, and the performance is amazing. Even after 16 years, if I go to a new car dealership and test drive some high-end model, I drive back home and think to myself how much better this one is. I was initially hesitant about it due to its age and mileage (and reports of subpar BMW reliability), but it's held up as well as my Honda, looks way better and is far more comfortable. What really sold me was feeling like I was driving 40-50mph, and seeing that the speedometer showed about 95. Too easy to get speeding tickets.

Favorite Features

Best is the combination of Cadillac comfort (needs good tires to do it justice, though) with Miata handling. The manual transmission (very rare on these, I hear) works wonderfully with the inline-6. It looks fantastic - black on black - and is one sexy beast with good window tint.

Suggested Improvements

Poor fuel economy (18-21), no rear headrests. Only the dealership is willing to work on it. Some squeaks and rattles, though less than many much newer cars. The 93-95 wider grille is much better. Typical 150k+ problems, mostly cosmetic. No aftermarket CD player fits it without expensive rewiring.