Used 1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

First car!
By bdelaney

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

Well I bought my 525i about 3 month ago it is my first car. The car broke down on me about 2 weeks ago and I just barely got another job so I can fix it. I love this car, greatest car I've ever drove. The crank position sensor went but she's got a lot of miles. I put some upgrades into her (Aftermarket clutch, Cold air intake and straight pipes). This car is so fast with the upgrades, but the engine does need to be rebuilt.

Favorite Features

Speed, Handling, Comfort and the girls dig it.

Suggested Improvements

Tad bit more horsepower. A power chip works great though.

I love My 535
By Mike

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car three years ago with 143K miles and I have 205K on it now. I have replaced the driveshaft twice and the heater core. I recently did the exhaust, which was expensive - $1300 for the cat back. I am handy with cars and do most of my own work. This car has not one rattle and very minor rust after 19 years! What a fantastic car!

Sum greater than its parts
By James

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for nearly a year now and I'm very pleased with it. Overall it's a solid automobile. A car this old does have its kinks and quirks but it has always, always been reliable. The feeling I get when I get behind the wheel and fire it up is irreplaceable. This is my second Bimmer and I don't think I could own anything else at this point. Buyer beware!

Favorite Features

In its day it was nearly at the top of luxury sedans. The interior and exterior reflect that. The dash makes sense. The seats are firm yet comfortable. This car is deceptively fast. No, not blinding speed. The kind that creeps up on you. Look at the speedo and you're going faster than you think.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger wheels and tires will help the grip (not that there's any lack of it). A performance chip and some mild upgrades the intake and exhaust will help performance and MPG. These are easily acquired aftermarket upgrades.

Timeless Beauty
By adrafts

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

As the years go on, it is amazing how great this car still looks and feels. The feel of the drive is incredible, you really feel like you are one with the car. For a now 18 year old car, it really stands out. I have it in the blue-silver as pictured above--- gorgeous color. All the electronics are easy to use and very innovative, especially for its time. The dash is very well laid out and easy to read also. An overall excellent car! Sure to be a classic.

Favorite Features

All the amazing standard features: dual power leather seats, power windows/locks/sunroof. The drive itself!

Suggested Improvements

Repair costs are fairly expensive and the fuel economy could be a little better.

Bimmerlover
By Bobby

1990 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

This is the second 5-series I have owneD. My E28 was great and fun to drive but it was automatic, this E34 is my new baby and I just love this car so so much, I cannot let her get dirty. It is a pleasure to drive and sit in, shifting through the gears and getting up to the top speed is my plan every day I get in. It still turns a lot of heads. I love everything about this car, and can't wait till I get another one, I was hooked since the last BMW my friend whom is a bimmer lover warned me about not being able to drive another tybe of car after getting into a BMW.

Favorite Features

5 speed, hand rest, door locks.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a little more power.