1990 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
I love My 535
By Mike on 05/24/09 17:39 PM (PDT)

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car three years ago with 143K miles and I have 205K on it now. I have replaced the driveshaft twice and the heater core. I recently did the exhaust, which was expensive - $1300 for the cat back. I am handy with cars and do most of my own work. This car has not one rattle and very minor rust after 19 years! What a fantastic car!

A fun car that never goes out of style
By seabow2 on 12/21/07 09:53 AM (PST)

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

Purchased my Bimmer a year ago from the 2nd owner with 130k miles on it. On a scale of 1-10 it was an 8.5 due to the previous owner not driving it very often. I mention this becuase I want to give this vehicle a fair rating. The 535i is supposed to a well built vehicle and I believe it be. I had to replace quite a few small items to make this car fully functional. Once that was completed, this 17 year old car was like new! The handling is exceptional and the responsiveness is great. It is a pleasure to drive on a daily basis. I would buy an older 535 any day of the week over a lot of newer cars. I'm glad to see BMW started making them again because they are truly wonderful.

One of the Best BMWs ever made
By MilosD on 06/02/07 23:34 PM (PDT)

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

This car has served me very well in the past 3 years. I used to commute 100 miles every day and it didn't miss a beat. I put in a rebuilt head, which it didn't really need, but other than that I have 50K on it since I bought it and it hasn't taken any money to maintain since the cylinder head rebuild which cost me 3K. Other things to go bad are the thrust arms, remedied by installing urethane busings at a cost of $200.

Fast and Solid
By mike on 01/08/07 15:02 PM (PST)

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

This was our first BMW and served our business well for the first 4 years with just the right mix of speed/handling/comfort for long drives along with the luxury suitable to impress when taking clients around town. Since then we have had 4 other BMWs, but this one remains my favorite - especially on road trips. Very reliable, but when something needs repair or even scheduled maintenance, the costs always seem outrageous. My problems have been electrical (CPU sword board twice, radio controls introducing static) and it's on its 3rd transmission (once at 95,000 and again at 175,000 miles). Reasonable gas mileage (18 city, 25 hiway). Interior and exterior are awesome even after 16 years.

among the best in the world
By A on 04/12/06 15:26 PM (PDT)

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

Completely different car from my previous Honda Accord. It's superior to just about any car out there overall - smooth, elegant, comfortable, reliable, and the performance is amazing. Even after 16 years, if I go to a new car dealership and test drive some high-end model, I drive back home and think to myself how much better this one is. I was initially hesitant about it due to its age and mileage (and reports of subpar BMW reliability), but it's held up as well as my Honda, looks way better and is far more comfortable. What really sold me was feeling like I was driving 40-50mph, and seeing that the speedometer showed about 95. Too easy to get speeding tickets.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By Doug on 03/11/06 09:40 AM (PST)

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

WOW! What a pleasurable car to drive. This car makes you want to simply go out for a drive. The design of the cockpit helps the occupants feel like they are part of the car. In the sport mode this car is a fast and tight luxury sports car. It's very agile, and responsive. I was searching for one for about a month when I just got a smoking hot deal. Be patient, and you will find a very nice model, that you will not regret buying.

NATE'S Riew
By W.N.V.sr on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

tHIS IS A NICE MODEL MY SECOND 5351,PERFORMANCE IS REAL NICE SMOOTH,MPG IS NOT BAD EITHER ON LONG TRIPS I HAVE ACHEIVED UP TO 25.7 MPG CRUISING UP AROUND 75MPH,KEY IS TO OWN TOOLS AND THE BOOK THAT MAKES IT A FAR MORE ECONOMICAL OWNERSHIP. IT ALSO AFORDS YOU THE OPORTUNITY TO LEARN AND TO KNOW THE CAR.NICE INVESTMENT,PLEASURE TO DRIVE AND RELIABLE.4 MO. AGO TOOK ON A 3200 MILE TRIP. WAS SMOKING!!!!

Awesome Car for the Money!
By MCMan on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

I have had this 535 for sometime and just love it. Build like a tank! Also I enjoy the speed factor in this car when I need to go it goes!!

BMW 535i
By washburn6394 on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

We bought this car used with over 100,000 miles on it. So far, we have had to do only minor repairs (maintenance). The car is fun to drive, FAST, and still gets a lot of looks even though it is 14 years old. This is a fun, showy car that's still safe and dependable enough to drive around with my kids and not feel like an old lady!

535i sport
By 2blue on 12/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

what a great car built from granite super looking goes like your money in a bettin shop standard or with a few mods they look like there saying im here and here im going to stay if looked after will proberly out live you...