1990 BMW 5 Series 525i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

First car!
By bdelaney

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Well I bought my 525i about 3 month ago it is my first car. The car broke down on me about 2 weeks ago and I just barely got another job so I can fix it. I love this car, greatest car I've ever drove. The crank position sensor went but she's got a lot of miles. I put some upgrades into her (Aftermarket clutch, Cold air intake and straight pipes). This car is so fast with the upgrades, but the engine does need to be rebuilt.

Favorite Features

Speed, Handling, Comfort and the girls dig it.

Suggested Improvements

Tad bit more horsepower. A power chip works great though.

Sum greater than its parts
By James

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for nearly a year now and I'm very pleased with it. Overall it's a solid automobile. A car this old does have its kinks and quirks but it has always, always been reliable. The feeling I get when I get behind the wheel and fire it up is irreplaceable. This is my second Bimmer and I don't think I could own anything else at this point. Buyer beware!

Favorite Features

In its day it was nearly at the top of luxury sedans. The interior and exterior reflect that. The dash makes sense. The seats are firm yet comfortable. This car is deceptively fast. No, not blinding speed. The kind that creeps up on you. Look at the speedo and you're going faster than you think.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger wheels and tires will help the grip (not that there's any lack of it). A performance chip and some mild upgrades the intake and exhaust will help performance and MPG. These are easily acquired aftermarket upgrades.

Timeless Beauty
By adrafts

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

As the years go on, it is amazing how great this car still looks and feels. The feel of the drive is incredible, you really feel like you are one with the car. For a now 18 year old car, it really stands out. I have it in the blue-silver as pictured above--- gorgeous color. All the electronics are easy to use and very innovative, especially for its time. The dash is very well laid out and easy to read also. An overall excellent car! Sure to be a classic.

Favorite Features

All the amazing standard features: dual power leather seats, power windows/locks/sunroof. The drive itself!

Suggested Improvements

Repair costs are fairly expensive and the fuel economy could be a little better.

Bimmerlover
By Bobby

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

This is the second 5-series I have owneD. My E28 was great and fun to drive but it was automatic, this E34 is my new baby and I just love this car so so much, I cannot let her get dirty. It is a pleasure to drive and sit in, shifting through the gears and getting up to the top speed is my plan every day I get in. It still turns a lot of heads. I love everything about this car, and can't wait till I get another one, I was hooked since the last BMW my friend whom is a bimmer lover warned me about not being able to drive another tybe of car after getting into a BMW.

Favorite Features

5 speed, hand rest, door locks.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a little more power.

Nice 5 series
By 1990bmw

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I have had this car little over 2 years and have put over 60K on it. The thing is a rock solid tank, 17 years old with 217,000 miles and counting, no problems outside of brakes and tires. Air is air cold and the heated seats are great in the winter.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders would come in handy at times???

1989 BMW e34 525ia
By Adam Holland

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I purchased the vehicle with over 230k and I personally have put about 90k mostly highway miles. The vehicle is in remarkable condition for its age (nicer than most 2 to 3 year old cars) and is very easy to work on. The automatic went out at 250k but I was able to purchase a rebuilt one for 1200 and installed it myself. Considering I purchased the car for 1300 this was not a bad deal. I perform all maintenance myself (including tires) and I have multiple connections across the country for parts. After installing a performance chip and tweaking the air intake system I am averaging 29 mpg highway and 25 in the city. Excellent car for the money for either the do it yourselfer or the avg driver.

Favorite Features

Design style,reliability, and comfort. The 525i makes for an excellent communter car especially when you look at the cost. While I could afford a new BMW, why bother? When I can own 4 vinatge models that look as if they rolled of the showroom floor and not have to sale my kids.

Suggested Improvements

Not a big fan of timing belts on the M20 engine. This has been the death of many an e34 due to owner neglect. (they must be changed every 60k miles) For the avg driver I reccomend either a 535i which comes with a timing chain, or a 91 and up 525i. electrical system pain to troubleshoot.

love car, hate all its problems
By alliehhhh

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

love car, hate all its problems. Many electricl problems. Battery always stalling. BMW dealership outragous!!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

seat

Suggested Improvements

more acceleration

It Sucks
By Mike76

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I thought i bought a real dream but it was all a nightmare. i bought this 90 525I with 120k on it in 98. it ran great for couple of miles then fell apart. the drive shaft fell off $600, crank shaft $1000, electrical problems. i can go on and on.

Favorite Features

the barking and handling, rides smooth. great heat and a/c.

Suggested Improvements

build quality and manicaly

Great 525i
By Jonathan W

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Purchased with 71,000 miles now have 141,000. Car has been very reliable and fun to drive. handles great and only the lack of real power is a downside. Despite lower hp, this car cruises at 85 and handles great. Been an excellent ownership experience.

Favorite Features

Handling, brakes, build quality, style with sport wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Add 16 sport wheels and tires and it looks and handles better.

Best 5-series = 1989-1995!
By TDI_BUFF

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 2000 with 129k miles. It had obviously been well cared for by previous owners. I have had the car for 3 years and it now has 174k miles. I have NEVER been disappointed by this reliability. I have replaced some normal wear items (clutch, shocks, timing belt, etc.) and I have repaired a few unexpected things (instrument lights, air conditioning, oil pan gasket). Overall, I have been pleased with the superb engineering of this BMW.

Favorite Features

The car handles beautifully in corners as well as on the freeway, even at speeds over 100mph. The brakes are amazing! And, my wife and I love the dual climate controls.

Suggested Improvements

None.