1990 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
First car!
By bdelaney on 06/03/09 13:13 PM (PDT)

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Well I bought my 525i about 3 month ago it is my first car. The car broke down on me about 2 weeks ago and I just barely got another job so I can fix it. I love this car, greatest car I've ever drove. The crank position sensor went but she's got a lot of miles. I put some upgrades into her (Aftermarket clutch, Cold air intake and straight pipes). This car is so fast with the upgrades, but the engine does need to be rebuilt.

Sum greater than its parts
By James on 08/02/08 05:59 AM (PDT)

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for nearly a year now and I'm very pleased with it. Overall it's a solid automobile. A car this old does have its kinks and quirks but it has always, always been reliable. The feeling I get when I get behind the wheel and fire it up is irreplaceable. This is my second Bimmer and I don't think I could own anything else at this point. Buyer beware!

Timeless Beauty
By adrafts on 07/30/08 22:05 PM (PDT)

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

As the years go on, it is amazing how great this car still looks and feels. The feel of the drive is incredible, you really feel like you are one with the car. For a now 18 year old car, it really stands out. I have it in the blue-silver as pictured above--- gorgeous color. All the electronics are easy to use and very innovative, especially for its time. The dash is very well laid out and easy to read also. An overall excellent car! Sure to be a classic.

Bimmerlover
By Bobby on 04/14/08 16:44 PM (PDT)

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

This is the second 5-series I have owneD. My E28 was great and fun to drive but it was automatic, this E34 is my new baby and I just love this car so so much, I cannot let her get dirty. It is a pleasure to drive and sit in, shifting through the gears and getting up to the top speed is my plan every day I get in. It still turns a lot of heads. I love everything about this car, and can't wait till I get another one, I was hooked since the last BMW my friend whom is a bimmer lover warned me about not being able to drive another tybe of car after getting into a BMW.

Nice 5 series
By 1990bmw on 07/15/07 15:22 PM (PDT)

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I have had this car little over 2 years and have put over 60K on it. The thing is a rock solid tank, 17 years old with 217,000 miles and counting, no problems outside of brakes and tires. Air is air cold and the heated seats are great in the winter.

1989 BMW e34 525ia
By Adam Holland on 09/26/05 21:14 PM (PDT)

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I purchased the vehicle with over 230k and I personally have put about 90k mostly highway miles. The vehicle is in remarkable condition for its age (nicer than most 2 to 3 year old cars) and is very easy to work on. The automatic went out at 250k but I was able to purchase a rebuilt one for 1200 and installed it myself. Considering I purchased the car for 1300 this was not a bad deal. I perform all maintenance myself (including tires) and I have multiple connections across the country for parts. After installing a performance chip and tweaking the air intake system I am averaging 29 mpg highway and 25 in the city. Excellent car for the money for either the do it yourselfer or the avg driver.

love car, hate all its problems
By alliehhhh on 05/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

love car, hate all its problems. Many electricl problems. Battery always stalling. BMW dealership outragous!!!!!!!!

It Sucks
By Mike76 on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I thought i bought a real dream but it was all a nightmare. i bought this 90 525I with 120k on it in 98. it ran great for couple of miles then fell apart. the drive shaft fell off $600, crank shaft $1000, electrical problems. i can go on and on.

Great 525i
By Jonathan W on 03/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Purchased with 71,000 miles now have 141,000. Car has been very reliable and fun to drive. handles great and only the lack of real power is a downside. Despite lower hp, this car cruises at 85 and handles great. Been an excellent ownership experience.

Best 5-series = 1989-1995!
By TDI_BUFF on 12/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 2000 with 129k miles. It had obviously been well cared for by previous owners. I have had the car for 3 years and it now has 174k miles. I have NEVER been disappointed by this reliability. I have replaced some normal wear items (clutch, shocks, timing belt, etc.) and I have repaired a few unexpected things (instrument lights, air conditioning, oil pan gasket). Overall, I have been pleased with the superb engineering of this BMW.