Used 2014 BMW 4 Series Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 BMW 4 Series - Consumer Reviews

2014 BMW 4 Series

View reviews for a specific 4 Series model:

I haven't had it too long, but no complaints!
By gcionek@mohawklandings.com

2014 BMW 4 Series 435i xDrive 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned several BMW's in the past and the 4-series first attracted me due to its aesthetics. I figured that it wouldn't perform to my ultimate expectations, however ended up giving it a test drive, the AWD X-Drive handles GREAT. The interior is beautiful, fully loaded and has all the cool things (GPS, Bluetooth, Premium Leather, ETC) that would would expect in a BMW.

Great car - but I dislike "I-Drive" electronics
By Phil B.

2014 BMW 4 Series 435i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is my 2nd BMW coupe. I had a fabulous 328i which I drove for 16 years with almost no failures/repairs.

My 2-year old 435i with 2WD and 6-speed manual is fun to drive, comfortable, great looking and overall a pretty good car. After 2 years and 11000 miles my car has been back to the dealer zero times for repairs. And despite being advertised as getting just 25-28 mpg, I am finding that I get about 28 mpg in the city, and 32 mpg on the highway (driving at a steady 79 mph). The manual transmission clearly helps me on gas mileage

However: the BMW I-drive controls for the audio system are pretty sad. When getting back into the car, the display screen will never be the same as previous. This means you will always have to press buttons to return to the display you want see. (I wonder how long before those buttons wear out...... Probably just after warranty expires!) And every time you use the car you will need to turn up the audio volume again. Stupid.stupid.stupid. But worst of all is that the logic behind the operation of the audio..... Well, it just defies all intuitive logic!

As much as I love manual transmissions, I doubt That I will buy another BMW with this crummy electronic control system.

Try the 428i
By professorx

2014 BMW 4 Series 428i SULEV 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Picked up my 428i yesterday. Was worried that the 4 cyl wouldn't be enough, and that I would not be getting the BMW "experience" if i didn't get the i6. None of these fools must have driven the 428i, because they could not have been more wrong. I started driving my car around and seeing what it can do and WOW... I couldn't possibly want more. This car is fast, and I mean FAST. This car is superb, and does not need the i6. In all fairness I am sure that the i6 is fantastic but make no mistake ladies and gents, the BMW 428i will knock your socks off and gives very, very little reason to upgrade to the 435i. I am aware that the M4 may be another story,but that will be reserved for big spenders

POWER! SLICK! Simply great car with lots of GREAT features.

Excellent car for demanding drivers
By nt123

2014 BMW 4 Series 428i xDrive 2dr Coupe AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Got mine a month ago with the sport package.
Drives really well especially in sport and sport+ modes.
Cornering is excellent as is acceleration and braking.
Road noise is higher that I was expecting and there is a little bit of vibration in sport model at slower speeds especially with the sunroof open.
Asbsolute fun to drive for demanding driver..

Sport and Sport+ modes and handling. Rear-view camera.

Touch screen navi. Front parking/proximity sensors to go with the rear-view camera and sensors.

I (almost) love everything about it.
By jrbskissummit

2014 BMW 4 Series 435i xDrive 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

As far as I could tell there were only two cars that met my desires for a coupe with AWD, Manual transmission and forced induction for Colorado altitudes. The BMW 435 ended up being my choice. The other choice was the A5/S5.
The 428 would have been a competitor for the A5 if it was available with manual. Anyway I drove a S5 and compared it with the 435.
I preferred the S5 looks but engine dynamics are noticeably better in the 435 (if the sport mode is active). My car has a manual, so sport mode doesn't fool with the transmission shift points as it does in the Automatic cars. As expensive as it is the 435 seems a better value than the S5. I wish it was all wonderful but it could be better.

I love that I was able to get a car with a manual transmission. I am really annoyed that so few cars are being offered with a manual. Sport mode makes the car lots more fun, too bad the car won't recall the state it was in when I last drove it. The black interior with red stitching and coral accents on my "sport line" car are very sharp looking and get positive comments all the time. The back up camera and park distance control is nice and very useful since you have a harder time judging where the ends of this car are compared to many others that I have owned. Also it makes use of the dash screen that I would otherwise have no use for but is always included.

The car should remember that it was last used in sport mode and stay that way when I start it. The information display should revert to the same display as it was when the car was shut down. The screen will show a warning about using it while driving and eventually times out and goes to something randomly different from the last time I drove the car. BMW should offer a sport suspension for the AWD cars and/or not charge just as much for the M-sport package when it doesn't include a sport suspension on an AWD car. Audi offers a sport suspension on their quattro cars, BMW makes their AWD cars ridiculously tall and doesn't offer sport tuned suspension.