2015 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Disappointed with Comfort
By Nan W.

2015 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I will start by saying I own a 2014 328xi. I love the acceleration and the way the car handles. The gas mileage is phenomenal! My problem is comfort. I have taken this car on 2 long trips and both times came home with a herniated disc.....L4,L5. I was not doing any heavy lifting so I know that was not the cause. My chiropractor said that he has many patients who own BMWs in all models and herniated discs are a problem. He has even written BMW about this. If BMW can make such a wonderful car mechanically, why can't they make a comfortable one??

Too bad
By R. Naz

2015 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I'm sure it's been written many times before and I'm going to sound like an old fart, but it's sad what has become of this car. I owned a 2001 330 Xi for 14 years and it was the most fun car to drive. The minute you got in it and started to drive, it made you smile. Good in city and on snow, and punch it into a turn or a corner and the back end sits down and keeps the whole thing under control. I'm not a sports car aficionado, but that is how I imaging a sports car should be (and actually how my BMW motorcycle is). IMO, the "old 3" really was an ultimate driving machine. The newer versions have lost this, and yes I've driven a bunch of different models (328, X, 335, etc.). It's a real shame. I now drive an Audi A4, which I felt was better but still doesn't approach my old 3, and is about 2x the price. It's sad and somewhat hard to understand.

Sometimes new isn't better
By Jeff Carlson

2015 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I am on my 21st BMW. Having lived in Germany for a decade, all I did was fix up and drive BMWs, Mercedes, and Porsches. My current BMW is an 06 330i for which I was seeking a newer replacement. Since 2012, the 3 series has went to electronic steering. The car no longer transmits "road feel". If you push it in a corner, it no longer feeds the driver input that makes a sports car a sports car--it doesn't matter what mode (sports, comfort, etc it is set in) The brakes have a regeneratative feature that makes them clunky--they have lost their ability for the driver to modulate them--just like the steering. The engine exhaust note is lacking, especially when the biturbo is kicked in. It kind of sounds like a metal trash can with some marbles rolling around in it--when you get deep into the throttle, the 300hp being unleashed should have a growl and not sound like a muffled trash can with marbles.

The rest of the car is classic BMW, the ergonomics are what has made the 3 series a Road and Track and Motor Trend car of the year winner in its class since its production--that has not changed. It has beautiful lines, beautiful interior appointments, and another 80 more horsepower than my current 06. One of the new technology enhancement I like is the heads up display--it also has simplified GPS info--only the turn in so many miles/ft--just what is needed on the windshield--the rest is still on the main display.

Overall, I won't be buying. I could change the exhaust--but I can't change the brakes or steering which are so important to a sports car feel. BMW has tried to have an appeal to a broader audience and has left its enthusiast drivers sort of wanting more. This Ultimate Driving Machine has now been tamed and is now just a normal driving machine with sleek body lines and a little more hp under the hood.

Probably the best car i've owned!
By Jonas Bickford

2015 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Ok, i'll start off first with the pros. The car is F.A.S.T! If I need to get around someone on the freeway, I barely even touch the gas pedal, and i'm in front of them. The gas mileage is great, considering I have a lead foot (average freeway speed is 80 mph). Also, the seats are the most comfortable seats I have a had in a luxury car. And trust me, all my life I have owned luxury vehicles (Range Rovers, other BMWs, Mercedes, and even Audis). The iDrive is AMAZING! I owned the 2007 BMW 750Li when it came out, and holy crap did the iDrive suck! It great now! Now the cons. Resale value is horrible! My Range Rover was a 2009 HSE Sport and I sold it in 2011 and got 35k for it! I already checked the BlueBook value for my 335Xi and its already down to 40k! Ughh! When you start the car, it sounds like a crazy diesel motor for a second! Coming back to a pro though, the drive is so smooth compared to my old 2010 Mercedes 350 Sport! The car has the smoothest suspension I have ever dealt with! And heading back to cons, the rear seats aren't that comfortable if you don't have the heated rear seats option (I do but my friend has a 2014 328Xi with no heated rear seats). And my god, the navigation has sent me to more dead ends then I care to recall. Thats about all my issues I have with it for now. I recommend buying one for sure! Good luck!

BMW has officially gone "mainstream" and lost it
By BergenCountyJ

2015 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I am the owner of the previous model of the 3 series, and had this car as a loaner for a month and over 2k miles in driving. It fixes everything that was "annoying" with the old model; a nice smooth 8 speed automatic transmission, really strong acceleration, no more bone-jarring over NY/NJ potholes, and a functional navigation that actually has useful up-to-date traffic information.

City MPG is not much better, but highway is where it shines (~30% better MPG).

Unfortunately, the negatives outweigh the positive. Starting the car, you hear this annoying diesel like clatter. The power steering is one of the best I've ever driven, but still lackluster in feedback. Brake pedal is nice and firm like the BMW norm, but it takes forever to stop and also lurches when used in force. Interior plastics have gone down to Honda/Toyota levels - tap the console under the CD changer and you will hear lots of clack. Overall, much more plastic and less wood.

If you are a typical Mercedes/Audi driver, this 3 series generation will appeal - all the "complaints" from previous generations such as stiff steering, firm ride, etc. are gone with this car. If you're a BMW purist, you will hate this car as much as I did. I have never been happier to turn in my loaner car, to get my real car back!