2014 BMW 3 Series 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 8-speed Automatic Consumer Review - So far, so very, very

2014 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Review

328d Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 8-speed Automatic)

So far, so very, very good
By e_d_munds on

2014 BMW 3 Series 328d 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I shopped for 3 years and test drove several cars before deciding on the BMW 328d. I've had the car for a month and I am so impressed with every aspect of it. I have a typical long commute in San Diego - early morning to beat the rush, and a slog in the afternoon. So far close to 39 mpg and >500 miles/tank. Highway mileage is well above the 45 estimated. Car is so sweet and fun to drive. Got the Nav, which comes with a host of other stuff and I say worth the extra $$. For me, this was a momentous upgrade from a reliable 2003 Accord V6 with 145K miles. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in a high mpg, mid-level luxury car. In addition, BMW of Escondido treated me very, very well!

Favorite Features

Navigation, 3-driving modes (Sport, Comfort, Eco), mpg, quiet cabin, ConnectedDrive, back up camera, curb monitoring mirrors, Xenon headlamps, front seat comfort, handling, light sensing rear and side mirrors

Suggested Improvements

larger glove box, additional storage space in front, holder for water bottle in front/rear doors, leather/leatherette instead of webbed pouch behind driver/front passenger, more seamless connectivity to Smartphone for ConnectedDrive Apps
By solarwinds
on 04/06/14 11:32 AM (PDT)

Up date comment... the 328d is probably safer then the Jetta but a Civic and Impreza are the safest and least amount to run... 25.00 oil change vs. 100+ for the Germans... DEP is trying its hardest to rid the USA of diesel cars imposing these emission laws on Diesel engines... it is a shame Volvo has a 100 mpg Hybrid Diesel SUV AWD in Europe... Why not the USA?

By karhill1
on 04/08/14 09:39 AM (PDT)

Of course, some of us recognize life is short and we prefer a badge to a mass market vehicle, even if the cost is more. The little things a BMW has over a VW do conspire for a much more enjoyable drive through life. To some the extra cost for this is a good investment. I do agree any German vehicle is better leased.

By solarwinds
on 04/06/14 11:26 AM (PDT)

When you factor in after the 50K mile warranty. Adblue will be needed to run the car. Price per gallon will go up and the cost of RFT's. If you wanted a Fuel Efficient Diesel... Your best choice would have been a VW, TDI in the Jetta, Gulf, Bug class Or Jetta wagon... No AWD here but no UREA or Adblue, DEF, or the extra cost of RFT... The VW will return 50 mpg in the right hands... Or you could have got the Civic gas engine and got 30+ mpg... BMW's are in these days just a badge and the safety, mpg and overall expense to drive make them not worth it unless you lease and are under full maintenance warranty excluding tires...