2014 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

BEWARE: Engine Malfunctions Rampant
By tornado542

2014 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Just purchased a 2014 328i with the 4 cyl turbo. After 5000 miles, engine malfunction comes up on the display. After some research, looks like this is a common issue with these newer f30 3series. Usually a transmission failure or VANOS failure. [HTML removed]

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, nice interior.

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability and less severe engine problems.

Very comfortable car, but not a sports sedan
By dandedor

2014 BMW 3 Series Sedan 320i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Prior to my 2014 320i xDrive, I drove a Mini Countryman, a mini cooper, and a 2011 hyundai sonata. Pros: This BMW is easily one of the best looking cars on the road. It is very quiet inside around town, with a comfortable ride. The transmission is excellent. Shifts are smooth and unintrusive. Turbo lag is absent. The controls are intuitive. Cons: Steering is more similar to the Hyundai than MINI. It is VERY numb on center, though it firms up as you turn. Brakes offer no feeling - like stepping on a cloud instead. Highway wind noise is intrusive. iDrive doesn't sync too well with my iPhone 6+ - it says "transferring data" instead of showing my contacts.

Great car (with one irritating flaw)
By bigbaddave

2014 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive SULEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have been driving this car for a month and just love it. My previous car was a Buick Enclave which although great in many ways just drank too much gas and did rather lumber around. The 328 is a much more complex vehicle and I am still discovering new features. I love the way I can put it into eco-pro mode on the freeways and notch up 35 mpg and better on long drives and then - when I want to leave other drivers well behind - I can slip it into sport mode and boom! I am gone. The one drawback is a lousily small amount of storage space for the driver. The compartment underneath the central arm rest is minute.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage in eco-pro mode is great. The ride quality is lovely and the seats are firm but supportive. I feel secure on the road in the winter thanks to the four-wheel drive and the engine has much more power than I will ever realistically need. I love how the map display automatically turns into the night mode when the outside light darkens beyond a certain point and I also like that after you fill up, the suggested maximum range is based on your most recent driving patters. I have had no problems with the I-Drive system, which is much easier to use than some reviews would have you believe.

Suggested Improvements

Increase the amount of storage space for the driver.

First BMW
By jclaeys

2014 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Had to have it! Have had 3 German built cars so far and this by far knocks it out of the park, in all areas including price...it was nearly 50K MSRP. Mine is in gorgeous Mineral White with drop dead beautiful Saddle and Black interior. This car is a rocket. Leave it to BMW to build a twin turbo 4 CYL. that can do 0-60 in 5.5 secs. Just got back from trip to Carmel (some 170 miles from here) and averaged in combined driving situations an astounding 33.6MPG! Love what BMW has accomplished. Glitz, (in the Luxury Line) with plenty of "masculinity" thrown in. I havn't had a car in years that I so look forward to driving. The new 8 SPD. transmission is phenomenol. It is butter smooth.

Favorite Features

Mineral White paint, Saddle Brown Leather interior, beautifully executed. Harmon Kardon, surround sound, New Luxury Line 18" Wheels and Pirelli tires. Xenon headlights are the bomb.

Suggested Improvements

Digital readout for speedometer

Very Happy with thhe 328iX
By le04awd

2014 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Have now owned my 2014 328iX for six months and have driven it about 5000 miles. This is my first BMW and I have to say I love this car. The car has an excellent combination of a comfortable ride and exciting handling. Put the car in Eco mode and it is a pussycat just minding its own business and getting you from point A to point B in style. Switch it to Sport mode and the car turns into a little monster pinning you back into your seat as you step on the accelerator. The electronics take a little getting used to but once you figure out all the menus it is OK. I have the premium package with Navigation and the winter package. My kids love the heated rear seats in NE winter.

Favorite Features

Handling, ride, exterior and interior design, fit and finish, rear camera, ECO/COMFORT/SPORT mode, Nav System, Seats, Comfort Access keyless entry, Winter package,

Suggested Improvements

iDrive system is unnecessarily complicated and user unfriendly at times.