The Good, The Bad, and The Unexplainable
By xdeeds on
2013 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
My last two sedans were Honda Accords (2003, 2010). At age 58, I wanted a "luxury" car while I was still young enough to enjoy it. Considered Merc C class and Audi A4 but BMW3 test drive clinched it. Felt just right. Been two months and over 3500 miles. Great fun to drive except for the auto stop feature and some very annoying "unexplainables." This is my first BMW so I probably don't have the right BMW perspective to understand them. But now, when I come across something that doesn't make sense to me, I figure a BMW engineer must have designed it. Despite great drive, not sure I'd buy one again. I hate the surprise engine shut downs when I sometimes forget to turn auto stop off.
Favorite Features
The Good (actually Great): - Acceleration, handling, and braking. Most fun I've had driving since my 1971 MG Midget (in my college days). - Gas mileage: On 2000+ mile hiway trip, averaged 32-34 mpg in Sport mode, 34-38 in Custom and 40+ in Eco. Average speed, according to trip computer, was around 70MPH but included numerous accelerations (both hard and easy) and some traffic slowdowns. Mixed driving around home is 25-28 MPG. - Extremely comfortable seats. Usually drive 2-3 hours without stopping on long trips. In Honda CRV (my other car), my wife and I are stiff and sore after driving that long. But in the BMW, when we make a pit stop, we feel much better. - Very solid feel to car.
Suggested Improvements
The Bad (Very Bad): Auto Stop. Must be turned off every time you start car. Otherwise, engine stops abrubtly when you stop (with some exceptions) and starts roughly when you go again. It is a major annoyance and was almost a purchase show-stopper for me. Potential for excessve parts wear and tear and possibility of engine start failure making left turn across traffic after stop make this feature unacceptable and unsafe. Should at least default to off. The Unexplainable: - Push engine button twice to turn everything off? - Pull door handles twice to get out of car? - Hard to find foot trunk release "sweet spot." - BMW still can't figure out cup holder and interior storage concepts.
By yos21
on 06/30/13 17:34 PM (PDT)

Great tip...I'm going to kill auto stop too. It's annoying and usually turn it off right after I start the motor....only to be reminded whenever I forget two seconds after I hit a stop light! Probably the only bad feature to speak of...cheers!

By xdeeds
on 03/08/13 05:00 AM (PST)

Andy, Sorry it's taken so long to respond but I just saw your comment today. After 6K miles, I still average around 28mpg mixed. Worst mileage I've gotten has been about 23mpg in mostly city driving. A few things to consider: I usually drive in Comfort mode with gentle accelerations and stops. I alternate between 93 and 89 octane gas (fill up at half full) to achieve a 91 octane balance (performance ratings are based on 91 octane). I buy name brand gas and notice slight mpg improvements with Shell and BP over other brands. I love driving in Sport mode but mostly use it on the highway or just when I want to have some fun. Driving hard in Sport mode will definitely reduce your mpg. Hope this helps. BTW, my service department reset the auto stop (defaults to off now). Don't know about you, but I hated auto stop. Good luck and sorry again for taking so long to get back to you.