Sold me on BMW
By ae4ax on
2013 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
I once thought that BMWs were the ugliest cars on the road. Then, their recent styling and interior updates, in addition to actually test driving one, got me hooked. Coming from a Taurus I wasn't sure what to expect; but the feeling I get in one word is "solid". Solid power, handling, materials, tech, comfort: much more of a driver's car than any I have driven. I drove 100 miles today through snaking rural roads in N. Alabama and S. Tennessee, and I was convinced I made the right choice. The Taurus was cavernous without a center console, and the 328i not so much with the driveshaft in the way, but plenty of room for a 6'2" 300 lb guy who likes space. I can't wait to go to Greenville...
Favorite Features
4cyl turbo has gobs of torque for a 2.0. Sport and Eco Pro means you have three cars in one. Handling at 100 mph with heavy crosswind is rock solid, even for this noob. Cockpit is enveloping and shifter sits just right. iDrive takes some getting used to, but as good or better than any system. Seat and wheel easy to get right; felt comfortable with minimal adjustment. Climate controls are separate and easy to use. Sight lines are great. Trunk space is plentiful, with hidden storage under the mat. Wind noise at high speed is quiet. Bluetooth is a cinch, with driver's mic in the headliner. Power outlet in the trunk (hooked to ham radio.) Auto-lowering side mirror in reverse.
Suggested Improvements
Some audio controls difficult to see or get to, along with the auto start/stop disable switch. Auto start/stop is reasonably intelligent, but can switch off engine just as you are about to pull out into traffic, for example. The switch could also be raised a bit so I can hit it by touch. iDrive could use some extra shortcuts. Slight spring creak getting in and out, maybe just new suspension. Awkward USB/Aux connector placement in the armrest. Garage door opener should be configurable from iDrive. Rear space is good, but not for men over 6'.
By mrc10
on 07/20/14 07:10 AM (PDT)

Really anything compared to a ford is superior.