2013 BMW 3 Series Consumer Review: Do not fear the 4 Cylinder!

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Review

Do not fear the 4 Cylinder!
By michaelfb68 on

2013 BMW 3 Series 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I had a 2003 325i for 9 years before the repairs became too costly. I loved the drive, but jumped to an Infiniti G37x seeking more room, interior refinement, and reliability. The G just didn't do it for me from a performance perspective though, so back I came. I surprised to see BMW went to a 4T, but once you drive it you won't know it. Quiet, smooth, and fast, plus it gave me a 9 MPG bump over my G and old 325. You get to 70 mph and think you're doing 45. The cabin is quiet, the engine is quiet, and its all BMW. The steering is softer (not soft, though), but gets tighter with speed. Even at lower speeds though, it is responsive.

The iDrive is great overall and very easy to use. I was turned off by it for years, but now its a must-have. The multi-view navigation is awesome and convenient, but there is no Home button. Voice recognition rarely misses, even though you can't do everything with it, like search POI's. I like the auto stop-start so far, but the jury is still out. I starts again with just a little bump and I find it unobtrusive. The gas mileage is also excellent. Auto headlights remain the best in the business, as you never have to worry about them. Ditto the rain sensing wipers. Bluetooth is ultra reliable and crystal clear on my S3.

HUGE MISS - the cruise and volume controls were flipped on the wheel, with volume being on the right. That is silly, considering your left hand is always on the wheel and you should be able to control volume instantly, as the right hand often does something else. Why would they do this? If you disagree, get coffee just one time and get back to me! The climate controls are illogical, as there is no way to control both sides together. I continue to hate having no control over my headlamp washers, as a lot of spray is wasted and it is more sloppy than clean. The car stickered for $49k and the stereo is flat awful and there are no xenon headlights. $400 for a rear camera is weak.