Used 2013 BMW 3 Series 328i xDrive Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

2013 BMW 328i xdrive
By andy6027

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I've had this car for 1 1/2 years now, have about 22,000 miles on it. Bought it because I have to commute about 50 miles to work each day, highway driving, and I wanted something that would feel safe (especially for winter driving), comfortable and enjoyable to drive. Very happy with this car. Favourite feature is the engine -- accelerates so nicely, for passing trucks and making lane changes. Built in bolts attachments for a roof rack were a nice surprise, makes it easy to transport my bikes. Bluetooth works really nicely for talking on phone hands-free. No real negatives. Engine seemed loud at first, but I don't notice it anymore. Get the heated steering wheel for cold winters!

I like my older 3 more now
By dubbu2

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I first fell for BMW in 2008. I purchased a 328xi. I was impressed with the sporty and solid road feel, refined-smooth-sounding power, and overall impressive build quality and materials throughout the cabin. I acquired another one in 2011, but noticed a very slight decline in materials...sun visor were plastic-like instead of cloth, and the nifty, cost-saving "Rest" feature was removed. After driving a 2014 for one month, I'm so glad I didn't trade my 2011. Car sounds loud and odd, feels cheap, and the size of the vanity mirror is smaller. Stereo system quality has declined (lack of depth), and steering feel reminiscent of my grandfather's Buick. BMW has skimped on quality with this one.

Favorite Features

-Heads-up display -Improved I-drive display and controls -Smoother over rough pavement, but may compromise sport feel -Improved exterior appearance

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the drive of the 2011 model...it is sadly lost in this new makeup. Bring back the V6, fewer gears, and tighter steering. The new setup has me looking at other brands unfortunately. If I wanted fuel-economy...I'd buy a Prius. If I'm buying a premium vehicle, I'm not too concerned about fuel-economy. In the meantime, I am riding out my 2011 until BMW or some other automaker makes a car I can love again.

Great in Minnesota Winters
By j_walz1

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I am really enjoying the car. I only have 7,000 miles on it so far of mostly extreme cold weather driving and it has been great. Not one single issue or visit to the dealer so far. The AWD system is better in snowy conditions than any vehicle I have owned, and that includes a modern Subaru system, a Grand Cherokee, and two Toyotas, (one AWD the other 4WD). It is very confidence inspiring in snow and ice, the electronic nannies do a great job. Gas mileage has been surprising for how well the car performs. In winter at temps of 10 below, still managed 24mpg in an AWD car. When the temps get about 40 mileage hits low thirties for me but I drive like a sane person. Excellent car.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, heads up display, decent performance, wonderful AWD, and very good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Allow Sport mode to access gears 7&8 when cruising.

Great Car
By doc1975

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I was a previous 3 series owner, 2009 328xi. The straight 6 cylinder does sound different, the 2.0 liter turbo does fine. The 2009 felt more solid to me and I actually liked the hydraulic steering. My wife tells me she hated my old car and loves my new car. Go figure. If you are a new BMW owner I think you will like the car, the power and technology. The car has an auto start/stop feature which I had the dealer remove, I wasn't a fan. There are three driving modes, Eco, Normal and Sport. You will take off like a rocket ship in Sport Mode, I think it might be too much throttle for the weight of the car. Eco is actually not too bad and you save some milage which is always good.

Favorite Features

I really like the BMW idrive, I think the Nav works really well. I like the BMW assist and the ability to send addresses to the car from google maps is amazing. Heated seats and steeering wheel are some of the best in the business. The drive and engine sound are pretty good. The car overall just looks really good, the exterior of the car is great and I love looking at it. Rear view camera and monitor are great also. I think having service and maintenance for 4 years is amazing also. That's one of the reasons I went back to the brand.

Suggested Improvements

The one thing I have to say is that my 2013 doesn't feel as solid as my 2009 car. Maybe it's lighter, maybe its' the electric steering. It's hard to describe. Overall you will be happy with the purchase. I'm not a fan of the Navigation location, I think it was better when it was covered. I hate how they changed the volume button to the right of the steering wheel from the left. The electric steering does eat up battery life, so be careful about plugging phone chargers, running heated seats and running too much stuff in general. I got a low voltage warning in my car that corrected when you just drove the car, hopefully this will corrected in 2014.

Do not fear the 4 Cylinder!
By michaelfb68

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I had a 2003 325i for 9 years before the repairs became too costly. I loved the drive, but jumped to an Infiniti G37x seeking more room, interior refinement, and reliability. The G just didn't do it for me from a performance perspective though, so back I came. I surprised to see BMW went to a 4T, but once you drive it you won't know it. Quiet, smooth, and fast, plus it gave me a 9 MPG bump over my G and old 325. You get to 70 mph and think you're doing 45. The cabin is quiet, the engine is quiet, and its all BMW. The steering is softer (not soft, though), but gets tighter with speed. Even at lower speeds though, it is responsive.

Favorite Features

The iDrive is great overall and very easy to use. I was turned off by it for years, but now its a must-have. The multi-view navigation is awesome and convenient, but there is no Home button. Voice recognition rarely misses, even though you can't do everything with it, like search POI's. I like the auto stop-start so far, but the jury is still out. I starts again with just a little bump and I find it unobtrusive. The gas mileage is also excellent. Auto headlights remain the best in the business, as you never have to worry about them. Ditto the rain sensing wipers. Bluetooth is ultra reliable and crystal clear on my S3.

Suggested Improvements

HUGE MISS - the cruise and volume controls were flipped on the wheel, with volume being on the right. That is silly, considering your left hand is always on the wheel and you should be able to control volume instantly, as the right hand often does something else. Why would they do this? If you disagree, get coffee just one time and get back to me! The climate controls are illogical, as there is no way to control both sides together. I continue to hate having no control over my headlamp washers, as a lot of spray is wasted and it is more sloppy than clean. The car stickered for $49k and the stereo is flat awful and there are no xenon headlights. $400 for a rear camera is weak.