Used 2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

The car they warned you about. They were WRONG!
By Allen Mayberry

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Well, first things first, I pretty much had a good idea what I was getting involved in when I decided on a BMW. I've worked on a few different models in the past, including an engine rebuild and cooling system replacement. I've heard all the horror stories, and read most of these very reviews on Edmunds. There were some doubts placed in my mind for certain! But I ultimately decided to take a small leap.

I managed to find a gently used metallic bronze CPO '13 328i XDrive in immaculate shape from a dealer that gave me more for my Crosstrek than anyone else in the area. So far, the car has been perfect; not one single issue. Except for one small scuff on the soft leather seat...my fault but covered under warranty. Runs great, great mileage, unbelievable handling, fast enough, attention getter...to me it just seems like a good daily driver. Though it is under warranty and I went ahead and purchased the extended warranty, I've already acquired all the tools and knowledge I need to repair nearly everything. I only wish it had a manual transmission. Not a deal breaker, though.

The insurance cost surprisingly is what drove me to this car (pun intended). 2016 Mustang 5.0? 600 bucks more a year. 2016 Subaru WRX? 615 bucks more a year. 2013 328i? 12 bucks more a month than my friggin Crosstrek! I'm only angry I didn't buy a BMW sooner.

Fuel mileage has been stellar. I had to drive from Virginia to New Jersey, about 300 miles or so, for work. Averaged 35mpg's and over 75mph.

In my opinion, if you are the kind of person who can work on their own vehicles, the maintenance costs aren't much more than a Subaru or Toyota. If you're the kind of person that expects a car to go 100k miles with nothing but oil changes...better stick with Toyota.

Performance? Coming from a Crosstrek, it feels like a rocket. Feels just a bit slower than my old Mustang, but MUCH more composed and smooth in the corners. Need more speed? 335i or M.

Comfort? The seats are fantastic! I drove the Crosstrek to Miami from Virginia...once. I was in a lot of pain. Driving the BMW? I was ready to party in South Beach when I arrived.

I will say I personally don't trust a 10k mike interval between services, so I change my oil in between. They're not hard to work on yourself...unlike Audi's.

love it
By Shana Andries

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Extremely costly once your warranty expires!!!
By Danny Carrillo

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

First, please know this is not a gripe review. This is just factual. I absolutely love everything about this car except its reliability. These are the problems I've had with it:
* 23,000 miles: Steering column rubbing/squeaking noise. This occurred during the warranty period and was taking care of.
* 51,700 miles: Turbo actuator fails. Costs me $750 at the dealer since I was out of warranty. I called corporate seeking assistance. They declined to cover even though it was just out of warranty, they have a hard line, so they declined to help.
* 52, 900 miles: The steering noise is back - dealer will not cover it. This is just a nuisance, so I declined repair.
* 54,300 miles: Engine begins smoking during routine city driving. Valve cover gasket $902.79 + Oil filter housing gasket $656.99 for a total of $1,576.40 with tax.

This is a very fun car while it's new, but just know that the glamour dies out quickly. Honestly, I regret not buying another reliable Honda/Acura. I still own my 2001 TL which now has over 417,000 miles on it!

Great Car for the "Mature" Hot Rodder!
By Left Coast Ken

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Personal Background: Former USMC pilot who's always been a "motor head" at heart. Previously owned numerous motorcycles (including 6-cylinder KZ1300) and performance cars (including Porsche 914/6 - a near perfect car for its day). Now older & am supposed to act more mature & with in my current "station" in life (but don't want to) as a stalwart, conservative, church-going member of my community. This car is a perfect fit for that scenario - looks appropriate for someone in a suit & tie, but can still tear it up when you want!
Positives:
My car was an early production model for 2013, having been built in South African & bought by me in April. It has the seven speed automatic transmission - not the manual. I refer to my 335i as a "stealth" street racer (with a luxury interior). With the lower curb weight and same turbo 3.0 liter six-cylinder engine, it out-performs the larger 535i and a few others of the 6- & 7- series cars. Considering that 95% of my driving is done with myself, or self & wife (5'4", 105 lbs), the car is plenty roomy. I've even had four full-sized adults in it for a 200 mile (3 hour) trip and no one made comments about lack of space. Actually gets better mileage when on the Interstate running at about 80 MPH (West Texas & Utah), than down in the lower speed limits (65-70 MPH). Goes where you point it & stays there! The three different driving modes (Sport/Comfort/Economy) are great. Most driving in Comfort range, but when I want some fun I put it in Sport mode - where it is a real terror (but fun to drive)! Do not "stomp" on the accelerator (in either Comfort or Sport) unless you have both hands on the steering, wheel! It will literally throw you back into your seat when you do (first time I did it I wasn't paying attention, had only one had on the wheel & was entering a transition curve from one freeway to another - I almost lost it). It really is "The Ultimate Driving" machine in that I've taken it round trip from San Diego to the East Coast three times (average of 6000 miles in three weeks, or less) in the almost three years I've had it. That doesn't even begin to count the number of times I've taken it from San Diego up to San Francisco (550 miles one-way) & back on weekends. In each case I was able to make the drive with very little fatigue at the end of each day's driving. The most distance I've covered in a single day in the 335i has been 1100 miles.
Negatives:
My dealership has yet to be able to get my alignment correct in that I'm always wearing the front tires on the outside edges (Yes, I keep all tire pressures per manufacturer's specs) and on the inside edge of the rear tires. I have to work to get 40K miles on a set of tires (not cheap at about $1200 every time a new set goes on). My headlights always look like their aimed too low, unless on high beam, but I've been told they're set correctly. I'm still not excited about the automatic shift lever where you have to pull it back toward you when you want to go "forward" (out of park/neutral) and push it forward when you want to go into "reverse," but am getting used to that (in fact I know that is the historical European throttle setup in aircraft, so guess it makes sense to the Germans). Other than tires, I've only had to replace a faulty brake sensor switch (after over 2 years & about 75,000 miles). Still plenty of pads left on all brakes after 90K miles. Right rear tail light lens had to be adjusted within about 18 months (kept coming loose), but easy fix on that.
Overall:
Car has been rock solid and one heck of a bunch of fun to drive! Get one if you get the chance (a bunch should be coming up for sale after finishing their 3-year lease with original drivers). When I purchased my 335i my expectation is that it would last for at least 8 years and go for 250,000 miles and it looks like it will easily make that (I also have a 2003 Ford F-150 that is now 13 years old & has over 376,000 miles on it).

2013 BMW 328i xdrive
By andy6027

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I've had this car for 1 1/2 years now, have about 22,000 miles on it. Bought it because I have to commute about 50 miles to work each day, highway driving, and I wanted something that would feel safe (especially for winter driving), comfortable and enjoyable to drive. Very happy with this car. Favourite feature is the engine -- accelerates so nicely, for passing trucks and making lane changes. Built in bolts attachments for a roof rack were a nice surprise, makes it easy to transport my bikes. Bluetooth works really nicely for talking on phone hands-free. No real negatives. Engine seemed loud at first, but I don't notice it anymore. Get the heated steering wheel for cold winters!