Used 2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Extremely costly once your warranty expires!!!
By Danny Carrillo

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

First, please know this is not a gripe review. This is just factual. I absolutely love everything about this car except its reliability. These are the problems I've had with it: * 23,000 miles: Steering column rubbing/squeaking noise. This occurred during the warranty period and was taking care of. * 51,700 miles: Turbo actuator fails. Costs me $750 at the dealer since I was out of warranty. I called corporate seeking assistance. They declined to cover even though it was just out of warranty, they have a hard line, so they declined to help. * 52, 900 miles: The steering noise is back - dealer will not cover it. This is just a nuisance, so I declined repair. * 54,300 miles: Engine begins smoking during routine city driving. Valve cover gasket $902.79 + Oil filter housing gasket $656.99 for a total of $1,576.40 with tax. This is a very fun car while it's new, but just know that the glamour dies out quickly. Honestly, I regret not buying another reliable Honda/Acura. I still own my 2001 TL which now has over 417,000 miles on it!

Great Car for the "Mature" Hot Rodder!
By Left Coast Ken

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Personal Background: Former USMC pilot who's always been a "motor head" at heart. Previously owned numerous motorcycles (including 6-cylinder KZ1300) and performance cars (including Porsche 914/6 - a near perfect car for its day). Now older & am supposed to act more mature & with in my current "station" in life (but don't want to) as a stalwart, conservative, church-going member of my community. This car is a perfect fit for that scenario - looks appropriate for someone in a suit & tie, but can still tear it up when you want! Positives: My car was an early production model for 2013, having been built in South African & bought by me in April. It has the seven speed automatic transmission - not the manual. I refer to my 335i as a "stealth" street racer (with a luxury interior). With the lower curb weight and same turbo 3.0 liter six-cylinder engine, it out-performs the larger 535i and a few others of the 6- & 7- series cars. Considering that 95% of my driving is done with myself, or self & wife (5'4", 105 lbs), the car is plenty roomy. I've even had four full-sized adults in it for a 200 mile (3 hour) trip and no one made comments about lack of space. Actually gets better mileage when on the Interstate running at about 80 MPH (West Texas & Utah), than down in the lower speed limits (65-70 MPH). Goes where you point it & stays there! The three different driving modes (Sport/Comfort/Economy) are great. Most driving in Comfort range, but when I want some fun I put it in Sport mode - where it is a real terror (but fun to drive)! Do not "stomp" on the accelerator (in either Comfort or Sport) unless you have both hands on the steering, wheel! It will literally throw you back into your seat when you do (first time I did it I wasn't paying attention, had only one had on the wheel & was entering a transition curve from one freeway to another - I almost lost it). It really is "The Ultimate Driving" machine in that I've taken it round trip from San Diego to the East Coast three times (average of 6000 miles in three weeks, or less) in the almost three years I've had it. That doesn't even begin to count the number of times I've taken it from San Diego up to San Francisco (550 miles one-way) & back on weekends. In each case I was able to make the drive with very little fatigue at the end of each day's driving. The most distance I've covered in a single day in the 335i has been 1100 miles. Negatives: My dealership has yet to be able to get my alignment correct in that I'm always wearing the front tires on the outside edges (Yes, I keep all tire pressures per manufacturer's specs) and on the inside edge of the rear tires. I have to work to get 40K miles on a set of tires (not cheap at about $1200 every time a new set goes on). My headlights always look like their aimed too low, unless on high beam, but I've been told they're set correctly. I'm still not excited about the automatic shift lever where you have to pull it back toward you when you want to go "forward" (out of park/neutral) and push it forward when you want to go into "reverse," but am getting used to that (in fact I know that is the historical European throttle setup in aircraft, so guess it makes sense to the Germans). Other than tires, I've only had to replace a faulty brake sensor switch (after over 2 years & about 75,000 miles). Still plenty of pads left on all brakes after 90K miles. Right rear tail light lens had to be adjusted within about 18 months (kept coming loose), but easy fix on that. Overall: Car has been rock solid and one heck of a bunch of fun to drive! Get one if you get the chance (a bunch should be coming up for sale after finishing their 3-year lease with original drivers). When I purchased my 335i my expectation is that it would last for at least 8 years and go for 250,000 miles and it looks like it will easily make that (I also have a 2003 Ford F-150 that is now 13 years old & has over 376,000 miles on it).

2013 BMW 328i xdrive
By andy6027

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I've had this car for 1 1/2 years now, have about 22,000 miles on it. Bought it because I have to commute about 50 miles to work each day, highway driving, and I wanted something that would feel safe (especially for winter driving), comfortable and enjoyable to drive. Very happy with this car. Favourite feature is the engine -- accelerates so nicely, for passing trucks and making lane changes. Built in bolts attachments for a roof rack were a nice surprise, makes it easy to transport my bikes. Bluetooth works really nicely for talking on phone hands-free. No real negatives. Engine seemed loud at first, but I don't notice it anymore. Get the heated steering wheel for cold winters!

2013 328i
By fido4

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 3rd 3 series. As a few have commented, the interior of this car seems to be a step backward from prior models. Other than that...it is a delight to drive. I have 39,000 miles on my 2013. It is a thrill to drive...although different from my 2001 and 2007. Gas mileage is very good....27 in town....36 on highway...with plenty of power. Bottom line....I'm very pleased with this car. Someone earlier compared it to a Corolla. Pure Hyperbole!!

Better materials in the interior.

Jack of all trades- master of none!
By r_s3

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This car requires a lot of optional extras to be worthy of a BMW badge. I have the 335i with msport package, adaptive m suspension, and the variable sports steering as well as most of the tech options. If you're a driving enthusiast, PLEASE make sure your car has these options or you will be disappointed and feel ripped off. If you're just a law-abiding, eco pro using commuter, then by all means get a base 3 series with the tech package and you'll be content. I feel like this car can handle DECENTLY, provide DECENT comfort, and has DECENT build quality. It's not a master of anything; I see it as a "jack of all trades". Good daily driver though.

The 360 degree surround view system makes me look like a parallel parking boss. I also love BMW's triple-signal mode for lane changing. Really convenient! The "Estoril Blue" paint is also a really "look at me" sort of color. If you want to be a little unique and stand out from the sea of silver, black, and white BMWs, then go for it. I have that color and I love it.

Build quality is quite an issue. The center gauges (speedo, tach, gas meter) occasionally gets an annoying rattle over bumps. The interior feels as if it's loose in some spots. There's an excessive use of plastic, but then again, this isn't an S-class Mercedes. The run-flat tires are also a no-no. They wear out in 20,000 miles. I'm not joking. They also apparently give the car a harsh ride, but to be honest, I didn't notice it because run-flats are all I'm used to. I've hit "limp mode" too. Look it up. It's pretty annoying. If you get this in the base model, it looks like crap and that's being polite about it. You really need to put money in this car to make it look good in my opinion

• SUV