Used 2013 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Extremely costly once your warranty expires!!!
By Danny Carrillo

2013 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

First, please know this is not a gripe review. This is just factual. I absolutely love everything about this car except its reliability. These are the problems I've had with it: * 23,000 miles: Steering column rubbing/squeaking noise. This occurred during the warranty period and was taking care of. * 51,700 miles: Turbo actuator fails. Costs me $750 at the dealer since I was out of warranty. I called corporate seeking assistance. They declined to cover even though it was just out of warranty, they have a hard line, so they declined to help. * 52, 900 miles: The steering noise is back - dealer will not cover it. This is just a nuisance, so I declined repair. * 54,300 miles: Engine begins smoking during routine city driving. Valve cover gasket $902.79 + Oil filter housing gasket $656.99 for a total of $1,576.40 with tax. This is a very fun car while it's new, but just know that the glamour dies out quickly. Honestly, I regret not buying another reliable Honda/Acura. I still own my 2001 TL which now has over 417,000 miles on it!

Great Car for the "Mature" Hot Rodder!
By Left Coast Ken

2013 BMW 3 Series 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Personal Background: Former USMC pilot who's always been a "motor head" at heart. Previously owned numerous motorcycles (including 6-cylinder KZ1300) and performance cars (including Porsche 914/6 - a near perfect car for its day). Now older & am supposed to act more mature & with in my current "station" in life (but don't want to) as a stalwart, conservative, church-going member of my community. This car is a perfect fit for that scenario - looks appropriate for someone in a suit & tie, but can still tear it up when you want! Positives: My car was an early production model for 2013, having been built in South African & bought by me in April. It has the seven speed automatic transmission - not the manual. I refer to my 335i as a "stealth" street racer (with a luxury interior). With the lower curb weight and same turbo 3.0 liter six-cylinder engine, it out-performs the larger 535i and a few others of the 6- & 7- series cars. Considering that 95% of my driving is done with myself, or self & wife (5'4", 105 lbs), the car is plenty roomy. I've even had four full-sized adults in it for a 200 mile (3 hour) trip and no one made comments about lack of space. Actually gets better mileage when on the Interstate running at about 80 MPH (West Texas & Utah), than down in the lower speed limits (65-70 MPH). Goes where you point it & stays there! The three different driving modes (Sport/Comfort/Economy) are great. Most driving in Comfort range, but when I want some fun I put it in Sport mode - where it is a real terror (but fun to drive)! Do not "stomp" on the accelerator (in either Comfort or Sport) unless you have both hands on the steering, wheel! It will literally throw you back into your seat when you do (first time I did it I wasn't paying attention, had only one had on the wheel & was entering a transition curve from one freeway to another - I almost lost it). It really is "The Ultimate Driving" machine in that I've taken it round trip from San Diego to the East Coast three times (average of 6000 miles in three weeks, or less) in the almost three years I've had it. That doesn't even begin to count the number of times I've taken it from San Diego up to San Francisco (550 miles one-way) & back on weekends. In each case I was able to make the drive with very little fatigue at the end of each day's driving. The most distance I've covered in a single day in the 335i has been 1100 miles. Negatives: My dealership has yet to be able to get my alignment correct in that I'm always wearing the front tires on the outside edges (Yes, I keep all tire pressures per manufacturer's specs) and on the inside edge of the rear tires. I have to work to get 40K miles on a set of tires (not cheap at about $1200 every time a new set goes on). My headlights always look like their aimed too low, unless on high beam, but I've been told they're set correctly. I'm still not excited about the automatic shift lever where you have to pull it back toward you when you want to go "forward" (out of park/neutral) and push it forward when you want to go into "reverse," but am getting used to that (in fact I know that is the historical European throttle setup in aircraft, so guess it makes sense to the Germans). Other than tires, I've only had to replace a faulty brake sensor switch (after over 2 years & about 75,000 miles). Still plenty of pads left on all brakes after 90K miles. Right rear tail light lens had to be adjusted within about 18 months (kept coming loose), but easy fix on that. Overall: Car has been rock solid and one heck of a bunch of fun to drive! Get one if you get the chance (a bunch should be coming up for sale after finishing their 3-year lease with original drivers). When I purchased my 335i my expectation is that it would last for at least 8 years and go for 250,000 miles and it looks like it will easily make that (I also have a 2003 Ford F-150 that is now 13 years old & has over 376,000 miles on it).

Over-Hyped, Over-Marketed average car
By mskyline98

2013 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I fell for the mass marketing and silly editor reviews on this car. You're supposed to say it's a good car because that's what BMW has been pushing so hard for a long time. The truth is, it's a very weak-engined plain & boring car. Not only does my V-6 Accord have tons more power and better MPG's, but it doesn't need premium gas. BMW feels like it's the size of a boat in the parking lot, and the ride is so firm and rattling that you should not call it a luxury car. The aged interior looks like it was never changed from the 3-series I always saw in the late 90's. I saw a review that said Hyundai's now look nicer inside than BMW's.

On this 328 coupe, I have the auto trans. The feel of the engine and trans would be ok, but the huge lack of power makes it worthless. Engine does feel very durable like it will last a long time. I like the RWD better than my Accord's FWD on big open roads. Anywhere I actually drive daily though, the car feels clumsy and awkwardly larger than it looks. Mainly when turning at speeds under 35mph. Exterior design is great on the front and back. However, the side looks like the door/body doesn't flow or fit into place well and the car has huge gaps in many of the panels similar to cars costing around $15,000. The 4-series finally fixed that problem.

Even though the solid engine feels like it will last a long time, nothing else on the car does. BMW's need a lot of repairs regularly. This seems to occur shortly after the warranty is up as my friends and I have experienced on our BMW's and tons of reviews confirm. Even though other German cars are not known for being too durable over time, BMW can at least try to reach their level. Please make the interior look like it comes from a new car.

2013 BMW 328i xdrive
By andy6027

2013 BMW 3 Series 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I've had this car for 1 1/2 years now, have about 22,000 miles on it. Bought it because I have to commute about 50 miles to work each day, highway driving, and I wanted something that would feel safe (especially for winter driving), comfortable and enjoyable to drive. Very happy with this car. Favourite feature is the engine -- accelerates so nicely, for passing trucks and making lane changes. Built in bolts attachments for a roof rack were a nice surprise, makes it easy to transport my bikes. Bluetooth works really nicely for talking on phone hands-free. No real negatives. Engine seemed loud at first, but I don't notice it anymore. Get the heated steering wheel for cold winters!

2013 328i
By fido4

2013 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 3rd 3 series. As a few have commented, the interior of this car seems to be a step backward from prior models. Other than that...it is a delight to drive. I have 39,000 miles on my 2013. It is a thrill to drive...although different from my 2001 and 2007. Gas mileage is very good....27 in town....36 on highway...with plenty of power. Bottom line....I'm very pleased with this car. Someone earlier compared it to a Corolla. Pure Hyperbole!!

Better materials in the interior.

• SUV