2012 BMW 3 Series Consumer Review: Not As Good As My Old 3 Series

2012 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Review

Not As Good As My Old 3 Series
By zivand on

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have driven a 2001 BMW 3 series sedan since 2001, have loved every moment, thought I would never drive anything else and was really looking forward to my new 2012 three which I picked up in May 2012 with the luxury line and technology package. The Edmunds comment that the 2012 3 series is "less involving to drive than carry over models" is spot on. Yes it more luxurious, bigger, has more technology and is very nice looking, but when push comes to shove -- and if I were confronted with a tricky driving situation -- I'd prefer hands down to be in my 2001 3 series as it was more agile, responsive and connected to me as a driver.

The exterior design is sublime and a much needed improvement over the 2006 to 2011 body style. Interior design is great too.

There's no need for an eight speed sports septronic transmission on this car. It's too big of a car, and to shift through eight gears seems silly and pointless. BMW should go back to making a real luxury sports sedan, not a sporty luxury sedan which this version is. I am still not sure if I'm happy that I bought this car. Suddenly I feel like I'm driving a car designed for a much older person. My old 3 series is much more fun to drive, I felt more connected to the road, and I'm glad I didn't get rid of it.