Mixed feelings
By fancycars on
2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
Have had my 328i (automatic w Premium package) for one month now. It is a mixed bag of pros and cons. For a $40K car, I expected better and well thought out amenities to come standard. Not sure how long I may keep it.
Favorite Features
Handling. Acceleration. Suspension. Road sense. Having owned Audi, Acura, Infinity, among other premium cars before, my 2012 328i (automatic) stands out. Nothing comes close to the pure driving aspects. If this was all I was looking for, it would be great. Fuel Economy is good. In mixed city and some hwy averaging about 22-23mpg. It is not giving the claimed 23 in city only. In mixed driving I expected about 27-28 but it is about 4-5mpg less.
Suggested Improvements
Several disappointments: 1. Weak ac. Live in US Southeast. In September w temps in mid-80s, ac unit is struggling. Interior is hot. I fear next summer. 2. Seats. For $40K car, the seats are no match for my Acura and Infinity. 3. Headrest. Strange angle/fit. Does not go down all the way. Unless your head/neck is a bit strange, don't know why this configuration makes sense. 4. Windows and front and back glass. For a $40K car, no meaningful built in UV protection. I was getting cooked and had to spend $600 installing high-quality UV and heat control film. 5. Start-stop technology a pain. Dump it. Saves only 1mpg. 6. idrive messy. Was expecting better. I many ways I miss my Infinity.
By dvanos
on 03/19/13 17:51 PM (PDT)

Should of gotten the sport package those come with the best seats.

By kyrider
on 10/10/12 19:27 PM (PDT)

Well, you should have read the specs before purchasing this car. There is no mention of UV protection as standard option. Also a test drive would have revealed the headrest issue. I took a 30 min rest drive @ my local dealer and the seller insisted I go longer but I was sold already. I agree start-stop should be a software enable/disable feature and my seller confirmed ALL buyers requested the same so BMW are you listening? Seats comfort are a personal preference. I love them but may not be for everyone. Other that that I love my BMW 328i so far. The engine is amazing and no issues yet. Home that lasts.