Great Improvement ~ Fun to drive
By raycee on
2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I just picked up my 328i Sports Line yesterday and therefore giving a review based on my initial drive and impressions since I am not yet all familar with the vehicle. I am quite impressed with the additional cabin space, particularly the rear leg room and the rear head room. I have owned a 7 series and a 5 series and I must say this new 3 series is up to par with quality and performance, moreso then I imagined. I am very impressed with its smooth driving capabillity and also its incredible responsiveness. I really do love this new car and rave about it forever!
Favorite Features
The more agressive exterior design and the interior arrangement catered toward the driver. Smooth 8 speed with amazing pick up. Love the large "I Pad " looking screen, the BMW APPS, & the LED Auto Dimming lights. Also, the Head-up Display is very helpful. And my absolute favorite feature is the way the car feels & drives.
Suggested Improvements
Packages and options can really add up. Should come equipped with Power telescopic steering wheel & power trunk self-closing like the 5 & 7 series.
By zivand
on 06/12/12 00:32 AM (PDT)

I have driven a 2001 BMW 3 series sedan since 2001, have loved every moment, thought I would never drive anything else and was really looking forward to my new 2012 which I picked up in May 2012 with the luxury line and technology package. The Edmunds comment that the 2012 3 series is "less involving to drive than carry over models" is spot on. Yes it comes with more luxury, is bigger, has more technology and is nice looking, but when push comes to shove -- and if I were confronted with a tricky driving situation -- I'd prefer hands down to be in my 3 series from two generations ago; it was more agile, responsive and connected to me as a driver. I like the look of the new 3 series but it handles like an old 5 series and is about as big. It comes with an EIGHT speed sports septronic transmission that is completely pointless to shift through, and so I don't know why BMW even kept it. I much prefer the old five speed septronic on my 2001 which allowed me to feel as if I was really shifting gears. The new 3 series seems to be designed for a much older driver who doesn't need to feel connected to the road, and thus BMW has lost touch with what a luxury sports sedan should be. Instead, the new 3 series is a "sporty" luxury sedan that's so big and advanced that it's confusing and cumbersome, and not as much fun to drive as prior versions. I'm still not sure if I'm happy that I bought this car.