Used 2012 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Customer service
By kevcola11

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The best thing about my wife's new 3series is that she owns one now instead of her old Audi. The customer service at Russell BMW was the best, thanks to Ben Edwards & Larry cash my wife's car is very nice & new, she looks good in it, she's very happy.

The 2012 model looks great, handles like a champ, has heated rear seats.

Make the the rear seats more comfortable.

Good thing she's pretty, 'cause she sure is stupid
By klhunter

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My third, and last BMW, until the i-drive is obsoleted. I've had this car a little over a year, and lots of issues. Tire pressure light keeps coming on with no pressure issues, the trunk required me to slam it to shut, the audio system is incredibly poorly designed, and the air and heat work intermittently. Using the idrive forces the driver to take their eyes off the road for quite a while, a dangerous way to drive. Fun to drive, as long as you don't want to use the audio system while you're driving, and are okay with the sound of a rush of wind coming through the car.

Handling.

Eliminate the idrive Better body construction Better audio system Easier navigation of vehicle information Steering wheel navigation of the radio and phone system

Love my 320
By hajam

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Yes it is a 320 and not 328. Here in the Middle East we have an entry model 320. The engine is exactly the same 2.0 however it has a different turbo and tuned down to 184HP....
Well I have the car for only 10 days so I cannot say much other than I am loving it day after day. Initially I was skeptical a bit as my last car was 2007 BMW 550. I do miss it a lot but I am enjoying the my new car. I guess I will give it few months and write another review.

Great looks, inside and out. Acceptable performance but I cannot complain, I know what I was getting and I am not supposed to compare it to the 550.

2 things: Early morning start the engine a bit noisy. Diesel like noisy. After few minutes it slowly goes away. When I checked with dealer, they said it is normal. I am not too convinced and I feel a recall might happen soon. The other thing, The dealership here in Saudi. Lousy, they simply don't know what they are doing. I cannot say much

Mixed feelings
By fancycars

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Have had my 328i (automatic w Premium package) for one month now. It is a mixed bag of pros and cons. For a $40K car, I expected better and well thought out amenities to come standard. Not sure how long I may keep it.

Handling. Acceleration. Suspension. Road sense. Having owned Audi, Acura, Infinity, among other premium cars before, my 2012 328i (automatic) stands out. Nothing comes close to the pure driving aspects. If this was all I was looking for, it would be great. Fuel Economy is good. In mixed city and some hwy averaging about 22-23mpg. It is not giving the claimed 23 in city only. In mixed driving I expected about 27-28 but it is about 4-5mpg less.

Several disappointments: 1. Weak ac. Live in US Southeast. In September w temps in mid-80s, ac unit is struggling. Interior is hot. I fear next summer. 2. Seats. For $40K car, the seats are no match for my Acura and Infinity. 3. Headrest. Strange angle/fit. Does not go down all the way. Unless your head/neck is a bit strange, don't know why this configuration makes sense. 4. Windows and front and back glass. For a $40K car, no meaningful built in UV protection. I was getting cooked and had to spend $600 installing high-quality UV and heat control film. 5. Start-stop technology a pain. Dump it. Saves only 1mpg. 6. idrive messy. Was expecting better. I many ways I miss my Infinity.

So far so good
By kyrider

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first BMW and I was reluctant to buy a German car due to maintenance/reliability issues that I've heard before. But after 1500 miles the car is still silky smooth and no issues, knock on wood. The new 2.0L Turbo engine is amazing, acceleration is very good and there is no lug between pedal action and engine response. This car is fun to drive! The leather seats are much better than anything I had before, very comfy and the quality is very good. All features expected in a luxury car are there and they are worth every penny. The only thing that I miss are 1) a storage compartment for sunglasses and bigger storage for phone/wallet somewhere near the driver.

Engine, exterior, leather seats.

Sunglasses storage in the ceiling lights control area. A decent phone/wallet storage, as in deeper. The one place I keep my phone is on the shallow tray above the beverage holders but almost on every fast bends the phone slides out of the storage and falls in between seats. Door handle is way too forward and when closing the door from just few inches (tight parking spaces) you need to pull really hard to close it otherwise it will take 2-3 tries to do it. I guess if the handle would be 1-2 inches back it would create enough leverage to do the job in any situation.