Used 2012 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Mixed feelings
By fancycars

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Have had my 328i (automatic w Premium package) for one month now. It is a mixed bag of pros and cons. For a $40K car, I expected better and well thought out amenities to come standard. Not sure how long I may keep it.

Favorite Features

Handling. Acceleration. Suspension. Road sense. Having owned Audi, Acura, Infinity, among other premium cars before, my 2012 328i (automatic) stands out. Nothing comes close to the pure driving aspects. If this was all I was looking for, it would be great. Fuel Economy is good. In mixed city and some hwy averaging about 22-23mpg. It is not giving the claimed 23 in city only. In mixed driving I expected about 27-28 but it is about 4-5mpg less.

Suggested Improvements

Several disappointments: 1. Weak ac. Live in US Southeast. In September w temps in mid-80s, ac unit is struggling. Interior is hot. I fear next summer. 2. Seats. For $40K car, the seats are no match for my Acura and Infinity. 3. Headrest. Strange angle/fit. Does not go down all the way. Unless your head/neck is a bit strange, don't know why this configuration makes sense. 4. Windows and front and back glass. For a $40K car, no meaningful built in UV protection. I was getting cooked and had to spend $600 installing high-quality UV and heat control film. 5. Start-stop technology a pain. Dump it. Saves only 1mpg. 6. idrive messy. Was expecting better. I many ways I miss my Infinity.

So far so good
By kyrider

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first BMW and I was reluctant to buy a German car due to maintenance/reliability issues that I've heard before. But after 1500 miles the car is still silky smooth and no issues, knock on wood. The new 2.0L Turbo engine is amazing, acceleration is very good and there is no lug between pedal action and engine response. This car is fun to drive! The leather seats are much better than anything I had before, very comfy and the quality is very good. All features expected in a luxury car are there and they are worth every penny. The only thing that I miss are 1) a storage compartment for sunglasses and bigger storage for phone/wallet somewhere near the driver.

Favorite Features

Engine, exterior, leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Sunglasses storage in the ceiling lights control area. A decent phone/wallet storage, as in deeper. The one place I keep my phone is on the shallow tray above the beverage holders but almost on every fast bends the phone slides out of the storage and falls in between seats. Door handle is way too forward and when closing the door from just few inches (tight parking spaces) you need to pull really hard to close it otherwise it will take 2-3 tries to do it. I guess if the handle would be 1-2 inches back it would create enough leverage to do the job in any situation.

first German luxury and satisfied
By kyrider

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first German luxury car and I'm amazed at the quality and performance of the engine. The 2.0L turbo engine is amazing better than my previous V6 Japanese. I traded space by moving to 3 series but I don't regret it, the drive is amazing and the faster you go the better the car gets. This is my first German car so I can't speak of reliability yet but I hope for many years of engine free issues. The one

Favorite Features

The new 2.0L Engine is amazing, Interior design is very nice and leather is high quality.

Suggested Improvements

Sync A/C Temp on both Left and Right sides would be nice. Everything else seems very well thought out.

A great balance of sportiness, luxury and value
By karlnmichelle

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Just traded in my CTS Cad, which I really liked and found comfortable, but just wasn't up to par with German craftsmanship. The new 3 is my second BMW. It is actually quicker, more agile, and sure footed than our 2006 Z-4, even though we have just the base 4 cyl. This car is literally a solute to engineering and craftsmanship...and we love the nose. Killer sound system and nice rims too. An all around improvement on what was already a fine car.

Favorite Features

Heated back seats, stereo, improved I-drive, and super zippy for a car that can almost clip 40 mpg on the highway. The 8 speed auto trans is always in the perfect gear and shifts seemlessly. I love the low end torque pulling away from stop lights. It is an all around versatile car, fun to drive, and capable in every situation. Well built and quality materials too. Oh yes, and my first German car with acceptable cup holders!

Suggested Improvements

I like a little hotter seat heat, just shy of frying pan for me. Eco dive takes little to get used to when it shuts off at lights but I really like it now.

Love the performance, hate the operating system
By grlinatl

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The title says it all. This is my third BMW, and I'm consistently impressed by the performance, handling and ride. The cockpits have always been a little unique, but my last two BMWs felt like a comfortable place to settle in for a long ride. On this model, however, I find that navigating even the radio stations to figure out what's playing, requires too much handling and eyes away from the road. It's a bit of gilding the lily that's just not working for me.