Used 2012 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Brilliant BMW 328i convertible
By Richard Vaughan

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Check rear shocks.

Extremely disappointed
By Gordo

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my second BMW; my first was a MY 2006 325i that I bought new. This time I decided to get a CPO 2012 328i. I have had the car for about 45 days; it has been in the shop for 15 of those days. It needed: A NEW TIMING BELT (after I was told that the blender-like noise the engine was making was "normal" until I took it back to the dealer to investigate it further), an new window regulator, a new seat belt latch, re-charged AC, and crack in the instrument panel plastic covering the instruments. A week later I had to take it BACK because the steering wheel was making a load groaning noise when turned, and the stereo intermittently recognizes that I have a CD in the player or my iPhone connected to the USB. Sometimes I have to go without music on the wonderful upgraded Harmon Kardon stereo until the system decides to reset itself. The dealership still cannot diagnose this issue.

Also, the only way to drive this car is to leave it in "Sport" mode. The default "Comfort" mode makes the car feel like a 1980's-era Cadillac-all floaty and bouncy on the highway. Steering and handling are tops in Sport mode, though.

Overall I'm disappointed in the quality. I had the 2006 325i for 5 years, and had ZERO issues other than the sunroof not wanting to close from time to time. I put 102,000 miles on it and only did basic maintenance-no unexpected warranty visits. Thank tha LAWD I got the extended warranty with this CPO (Certified Piece Of _____). I had a Mercedes C300 and Volvo S60 in the interim of the BMW's and getting this car-sad to say, I think I may go back to either one of them.

Beautiful car inside and out, though.

Base suspension is awful
By danmoch

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just returned my 2012 328i with around 30,000 miles at the end of a 3 year lease. Although the 2.0 liter twin scroll turbo engine has plenty of power and the 8 spd automatic transmission was great, the base suspension was so soft and unsettled that just driving the car made me nauseated. This was my 6th BMW and suspension wise, the worst. Early on in the lease period, I changed to sport springs which made a big improvement in handling. Near the end of the lease, I changed back to the OEM springs and couldn't wait to return the car.

Responsive engine and transmission. Great gas mileage, especially on long trips. I averaged 34 MPG between SF Bay Area and the Tahoe basin round trip, even more than the EPA estimate.

The base suspension needed improving badly. Stiffer, progressive springs and better dampers would go a long way. The adjustable sport suspension might be better. Base seats lack lumbar support, and the synthetic material feels cheaper than Mercedes' synthetic.

Turbo Out at 47K Miles
By 328iguy1

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Overall I love this car but, there have been numerous issues over the last two years; the brake warning light came on several times, even though there was nothing wrong with the brakes; I had a flat tire and drove around for about two weeks on it because the tire pressure warning light doesn't differentiate between flat and low pressure (it has run flats, and the tire pressure waring light comes on all the time, especially in cold weather so I usually ignore it); last but not least the turbo went out at 47K miles, and it took more than 30 days for the dealer to fix it because a part was on back order in Germany. So as much as I love driving this car, I think I am going to be trading it in.

The most uncomfortable car ever
By tybeegirl

2012 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I traded a 1999 3 series on this car and I wish I would have kept it.
The seats are hard and the headrests are extremely uncomfortable.
I have to use a seat cushion so that my head will reach the headrest because it won't go all the way down.
The air conditioning is noisy and has intermittent issues.
The Bluetooth phone interface is terrible.
I have an iphone and a blackberry and everyone says I come across garbled.
I took it to the dealership and they said there wasn't an issue, but I still can't use it.
I can't wait to turn in this leased car.
Just 5 more months.