What in the world?????
By muffins on
2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
They might as well call this the "Ultimate Lagging Machine!" Never before have I driven a car with throttle response this atrocious. I don't know what BMW did wrong here, but the 2011 328i has extremely nonlinear throttle response. You press the gas, and you have no idea what the car is going to do. UNACCEPTABLE driving dynamics for car car costing $40,000 or more, and I think it's all because it's a drive-by-wire throttle system. Drive-by-wire is a dangerous and entirely idiotic technology that needs to be abandoned before it destroys our cars for good.
Favorite Features
Otherwise it's one of the best engineered, nicest looking, sharpest handling cars on the road.
Suggested Improvements
Fix the drive-by-wire, or get rid of it altogether. Screw Obama and his EPA regulations!
By bmwthrottle
on 07/07/12 06:53 AM (PDT)

Good review. I bought my wife a 328xi just over a month ago and we absolutely hate it due to throttle response / hesitation during acceleration. The dealership claims they cannot replicate the issues.

By noirknight
on 04/21/12 21:09 PM (PDT)

I think there may be different throttle response between the automatic and manual transmissions. I own a manual and notice minimal throttle lag. One day I drove one an automatic 328i and noticed that there was significant throttle lag. My car has the "sport" package. I'm not sure if that has an effect on throttle response.

By jtrager3414
on 03/12/12 20:26 PM (PDT)

I had a 2003 Honda Accord V6 with the fly-by-wire throttle. It was great! It lets the car shift better, accelerate better, and brake better! I would never want a car without this technology. Now, my 2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T with NAV has the same technology. No complaints...