The Ultimate Whining Machine
By hiredgun on
2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
My 328 developed a gear whine at 1000 miles that is still there today at 12000 miles. BMW replaced the differential at 1500 miles, but the whine returned 500 miles later. They refused to fix the problem, so I filed a lemon law claim against BMW. I lost the case, even though the arbitration panel members all heard the noise. The panel stated that it would annoy car owners, but they claimed it did not substantially impact the use, value or safety of the car. BMW researched me on the internet before the case and their attorney was very rude. Now the speedometer is 5mph too fast, and I have to calculate my speed when driving. Can't wait to see what they say about this problem.
Favorite Features
Looks nice when clean, even though this $43 sounds like an 80's Hyundai when driving.
Suggested Improvements
Correct the differential whine. My car has a serious whine and several of the loaner 328s have driven also have problem. This is uncharacteristic of the ultimate driving machine and of a 43k vehicle. Put a speedometer in the car that is accurate. Stand behind your product better.
By dozhdbog
on 08/10/11 14:12 PM (PDT)

The speedometers on most cars, tend to be somewhat inaccurate, usually reading in ratio slightly slower than the car's actual speed. I have a top-end Garmin Navigation System, which reads out highly accurate speeds, and my 2011 335i's speedometer reads at 61mph when I am going 65. Sorry to hear about the gear whine. So far, every 328 I've driven in hasn't had that problem.

By jeffzx
on 01/19/12 17:23 PM (PST)

The car also emits a very high-pitch whine every time you open or close any door including the trunk, even if the ignition is off. You will most likely not notice unless the car is parked in your garage. This is present on every 2011 BMW 328i.

By dice6
on 03/04/13 09:26 AM (PST)

that whine is NOT present on every 2011 BMW 328i. I own one and dont have that issue.