Nice car ruined by severe engine breaking - this is for sedan with auto transmission Edmunds does not have a selection for auto transmission
By jeffzx on
2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
Problem with the 328i Steptronic Auto Transmission is the harsh engine breaking when you let up on the gas. At slow speeds, and especially in stop- and-go traffic, the heavy engine braking is enough to get many nauseous as the car does not easily coast to a stop. I have never gotten car sick while driving, but with this car if I drive it in heavy traffic for 30 minutes or so I will get car sick. A BMW Expert told me "I have had a few customers tell me the same thing so I am not surprised of noticing the engine braking." Further, the car emits a very high-pitch sound for about 45 seconds every time you open or close any door or the trunk. Finally, the run flat tires give a harsh ride.
Favorite Features
I-Drive is great; infact, the whole naviation system is fine. The stereo sytem is great. The car handles well, and has nice fit and finish. Great looking car, but small if used to driving a mid-size car.
Suggested Improvements
Get rid of the harsh engine breaking! Especially noticeable in heavy traffic, the car feels "tight" due to the engine breaking every time you let up on the gas. The engine breaking is more noticeable and slow speeds. Also, very noticeable when going up a parking garage. I would suggest anybody test driving this car try driving up to the top of a parking garage a few time, and in heavy traffic for at least 20-30 minutes. If you are a person who tends to get car sick as a passenger, watch out!! Option for non-run flat tires. Sidewalls so stiff that ride is harsh ride over time. Eliminate high-pitch noise! You will not notice this until you purchase the car and park it in your garage!
By dice6
on 03/04/13 09:05 AM (PST)

your high pitched sound is a defect. Run-flat tires are harder than normal tires and if you have narrow tires, they'll run harsher over bumps no matter what size. When you need new tires, get the regular tires and your ride will improve, plus theyre cheaper. Engine braking is good for me. I appreciate the feature. Sounds like 2 of 3 of your issues could have can be resolved. Getting car sick from engine braking is unfortunate!

By szinski
on 01/23/13 13:20 PM (PST)

I've owned my new (used) 2011 BMW 328i xDrive w/Steptronic Automatic Transmission for almost two months and I must say that I've never had an issue with harsh engine braking. Nor have I experienced any high-pitched sounds. Try disabling the courtesy lights (via iDrive under the lighting menu) which activate for about 30 seconds when you unlock the car. Maybe you have a defective electrical component in the lighting circuit that is causing the sound. Or, it could be the fuel pump priming (the fuel pump runs for a few seconds when you unlock the car so the fuel rail is up to pressure). Not sure what to tell you about the transmission. You can try pushing the shift lever into N (neutral) just as you let your foot off the throttle. That way the transmission will be disengaged as you coast to a stop. I owned a 2004 BMW 325xi prior to this car and I can say that I absolutely LOVE my 328i xDrive. Love the fit and finish, love the styling, love the handling, and absolutely love driving it. I look forward to my morning/evening commute every single day!