Bearing Noise
By jim_l on
2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
Overall, I the 328i Coupe with the M Sports package is a great car. It handles great and the design/look of the car, I feel is awesome. The only complaint I have is a fairly loud bearing noise (sounds like power steering). I brought this back to the dealer and was advised it is normal, but I find it a very annoying. I tend to focus on the noise every time I start the car. Other than that, it is a great car.
By semperfi68
on 02/16/11 16:37 PM (PST)

Jim, Same thing with my new 2011 328i sedan. At just over 5000 miles, it's had 4 rear diff's and a rear diff oil change to no help. My last chat with the Sacramento bmw dearship 2 days ago went unanswered to date. Very UNSAT customer service. Think bmw will ever fix the problem or are these cars lemons? Should have stuck with Honda I think.

By jim_l
on 04/04/11 11:17 AM (PDT)

To date, the dealership knows how unhappy I am with this bearing noise, which is just getting worse. I now have 7500 mi. on this car. However, the dealership in Decatur, GA, asked me to leave my car there for a few days, to contact the Area Manager and have him/her review the noise in the car. At least I am making progres......

By na_hosoi
on 05/05/11 09:01 AM (PDT)

How could you grant a new $40k car a 5 star rating when you've been experiencing a nagging mechanical issue since you bought it? This is your rating. Rate on the basis of your experience so others can pull together a decent picture of the car's value averaging many users' experiences. With everyone inflating their ratings it's hard to get a sense of whether or not to spend the money.

By i_heart_bmw
on 04/04/11 21:08 PM (PDT)

I don't want to shed doubt on your expertise but are you sure this isn't just road noise? Off my 335i xdrive I get a lot of road noise throughout the car. I chock this up to the sports exhaust, run flat tires and over all sportiness. I find no noise emanating from one particular part of the car and it does not seem to increase or decrease as I would imagine a bearing would in noise levels at different speeds or when turning. In 2011 they have made some upgrades to the drive train I believe so if this issue you are talking about is true, hopefully they will warranty it or recall the part(s)