Used 2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

service really isn't free
By car876

2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

i have owned multiple bmw's , and we currently own 3.
they handle great .
there are 4 things i think bmw should address : 1.
they advertise free service, but that is a joke/scam.
they really don't do much, because they say the car doesn't need any service.
they used to change oil at 15,000 miles.
now they say the car can go 25,000 miles and for low mileage cars they used to change oil once a year.
now they won't .
the oil hasn't changed, just their policy.
2. options cost a lot, and should be included, such as the swing down side mirror when in reverse. 3. repairs cost a lot, like battery at $500.
4. run-flats are fine, but there should be a spare also, and there isn't

handling and comfort.

options add 7 to 10,000 to the car. bmw should lower cost and include more standard items, such as fold down rear seat (to extend trunk). Run flat tires are a nice idea but the car should have a spare tire. to get a new battery, you HAVE to go to dealer, and it costs $500. very high cost for parts and labor should be addressed, such as a wheel bearing at $500. this is much more than other car companies. service should be "free" it that is what they advertise. i have had to pay for oil changes, because they won't do it once a year on low mileage car. also, they say coolant is lifetime. nobody else has lifetime coolant. they used to change it every 3 years or so.

2011 BMW 335i 6-speed Steptronic Sedan
By dozhdbog

2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a fantastic car, well-priced, with amazing handling and performance as well as creature comforts and a smooth ride -the best of all worlds without sacrificing anything.

The adaptive xenon headlights with coronas are second only to the new Audi headlamp arrays in beauty and first in performance.
Premium package added some bells and whistles that I maybe didn't need, but are nice to have, like car theft recovery, sos button, and dakota leather seating.
I do wish I had gotten the sports package as now that I have a performance car, I am tempted to bring it to the track.
Warranty matching aftermarket modifications through Dinan may be the route I take.

-High Performance engine with wide power band -Smooth and quick transmission -Excellent safety features -Great stock sound system -Fantastic styling and scrupulously constructed -Amazing handling and braking.

-I opted for no idrive, and the sound system's screen is too tiny and low down -iphone contact list will not integrate via bluetooth, I must dial by number. Like to see that fixed on non-idrive cars -fold-down rear seat should be standard in a car of this class, not an option -Blinker signal stalk takes a bit of oomph to move, which sometimes results in a mis-move that pops on the highbeams.

The Ultimate Whining Machine
By hiredgun

2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 328 developed a gear whine at 1000 miles that is still there today at 12000 miles.
BMW replaced the differential at 1500 miles, but the whine returned 500 miles later.
They refused to fix the problem, so I filed a lemon law claim against BMW.
I lost the case, even though the arbitration panel members all heard the noise.
The panel stated that it would annoy car owners, but they claimed it did not substantially impact the use, value or safety of the car.
BMW researched me on the internet before the case and their attorney was very rude.

Now the speedometer is 5mph too fast, and I have to calculate my speed when driving.
Can't wait to see what they say about this problem.

Looks nice when clean, even though this $43 sounds like an 80's Hyundai when driving.

Correct the differential whine. My car has a serious whine and several of the loaner 328s have driven also have problem. This is uncharacteristic of the ultimate driving machine and of a 43k vehicle. Put a speedometer in the car that is accurate. Stand behind your product better.

Impressions of a 1st Time Owner
By cdofil

2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

As most consumer reviews are from a BMW fan, often the focus are more of the "Driving Experience" and "the engines". I will try to fill-in a little more details of my first impressions from the perspective of a first time owner. But due to the 700 character limitation of the review form, just follow through my comments for my detailed experiences. Please note that my rating does not include safety features that the car offers which I believe Edmunds.com should have placed such category.

powerful in any gear
By i_heart_bmw

2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 48 hr review of the car.
I have only had it 2 days I can only rate it based on my current experience.
I have owned a '98 328i and a '05 330ix, both I have loved.
Both manual trans and were extremely reliable.

I would highly suggest getting a manual to take advantage of the torque curve.
The automatic, though fine, lags a little bit in my opinion because it wants to downshift if you stomp on the accelerator.
In a manual, with the 300 fps starting at 1200 rpms, you have the power to climb a hill in any gear so you don't necessarily have to down shift.

I bought this with nearly every package and option available.
Definitely buy this with the M sports package.

The I drive system is very intricate. It greatly improves a drivers experience and you can fine tune how the car operates down to the chirp with the door unlocks. But there is a learning curve to it, take your time to get to know it. The blue tooth is very nice. I use a Droid 2 and I just have to enter the car with my phone and it automatically pairs up. The M sports package with the improved steering wheel makes for a very comfortable and confident steering feel. The bucket seats hug me perfectly and I don't slide around in a tight turn. The short shift kit it comes with is wonderful Comfort access, I just have to touch the door handle to enter or lock the door. Power and handling.

The I drive is very intricate. I have not compared it to another vehicle by personal use, but observationally it seems they could improves this via a touch screen display. Other than that as I have only been using it for 2 days, I am just getting used to how it operates and I am sure I will be just as happy with the way the UI stands as it is. After TTL I paid 66k for this car. Mind you I added pretty much every option, including a mechanical rear sun shade. You can find this for a lot less and if you do not need to finely tune an experience, drop the I drive, the convenience packages. I did add the extended mechanical warranty as well. Without the warranty and tax it listed out at 57k