Used 2011 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Nice car ruined by severe engine breaking - this is for sedan with auto transmission Edmunds does not have a selection for auto transmission
By jeffzx

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Problem with the 328i Steptronic Auto Transmission is the harsh engine breaking when you let up on the gas. At slow speeds, and especially in stop- and-go traffic, the heavy engine braking is enough to get many nauseous as the car does not easily coast to a stop.
I have never gotten car sick while driving, but with this car if I drive it in heavy traffic for 30 minutes or so I will get car sick. A BMW Expert told me "I have had a few customers tell me the same thing so I am not surprised of noticing the engine braking."

Further, the car emits a very high-pitch sound for about 45 seconds every time you open or close any door or the trunk.

Finally, the run flat tires give a harsh ride.

I-Drive is great; infact, the whole naviation system is fine. The stereo sytem is great. The car handles well, and has nice fit and finish. Great looking car, but small if used to driving a mid-size car.

Get rid of the harsh engine breaking! Especially noticeable in heavy traffic, the car feels "tight" due to the engine breaking every time you let up on the gas. The engine breaking is more noticeable and slow speeds. Also, very noticeable when going up a parking garage. I would suggest anybody test driving this car try driving up to the top of a parking garage a few time, and in heavy traffic for at least 20-30 minutes. If you are a person who tends to get car sick as a passenger, watch out!! Option for non-run flat tires. Sidewalls so stiff that ride is harsh ride over time. Eliminate high-pitch noise! You will not notice this until you purchase the car and park it in your garage!

Great BMW car!
By billr6

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Smooth car, very fast, looks great! interior is very nice and exterior is first class!! Power is amazing, I pass other cars on the highway in 3 to 10 seconds!! When you press the gas engine growls ever so nicely!! I am very confident when passing other cars on the highway or city streets.
Steering and handling is first class!! Amazing car!!!

Speed, pick up, engine growl. Great looking car out and in.

remove run flat tires and use regular performance tires.

Another BMW 328 xdrive w/ Nav
By nick831

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 4th BMW.
Had 2,3series, one x3, and one 5series.
The 3 series is my favorite to drive.
I can't imagine driving anything else.
Once you drive one you will be hooked.
There is no car that drives like it.
I have tried them all.

The new nav system is much better an improved than the previous verison with the CD in the drive. Th whole menu with the navigation is excellent.

cup holders are annoying. But your don't need to drink and drive.

Love This Car
By luckylamour

2011 BMW 3 Series 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

After selling my 2005 M3 Convertible, I didn't think I would own another BMW that was as fun to drive, and to blow rice rockets off the line. Not to mention the fantastic sport seats, and unbeatable MPG (I average 39 on the highway).

Not to mention a wide array of great technology, MOG, Pandora, and now Yelp. its pretty damn cool.

Tasman Green, Oyster Leather....

Love it.

BMW Apps, Torque.

Traffic service through the nav is a bit weak.

My first, but definitely not last, BMW
By newbeemer

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Picked up my first BMW a week ago.
I got the 2011 328i (X-Drive, w/Nav).
Coming from an Acura TSX, I don't know how I have been driving any other car.
This car begs to be driven and it begs even more to hug corners.
After my lease is up I am definitely getting another BMW - truly the Ultimate Driving Machine.
Drive one and you'll understand why they picked that slogan.

I barely feel the car accelerate.
The interior is well organized and very well thought out.
Although, I'm not a fan of the driver's cup holder, but that's just being nit-picky.
There isn't much storage room on the front as the glove box is small and the center console is also small.
Again, these are minor to me.

I can't describe how amazing this car feels to drive. There is definitely a major difference in the feel. I test drove the Acura TL, Audi A4, Lexus IS and a few others in the class and there seriously is no comparison. The iDrive is easy to use and pretty self explanatory. BMW's leases offer coverage on everything (wipers, oil changes etc.) which is a huge factor. It covers everything except the tires. I did purchase the tire and rim protection since I live in a city and hitting a pothole could really be a possibility. Supposedly the tires/rim are very very expensive to replace.

Maybe some more storage room in the front. One thing my TSX had was the ability to unlock all the doors once I shifted the car to PARK. Not the case here. Again, very minor and that's just me trying to find something wrong with this car. It is absolutely amazing.