Used 2011 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

2011 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Why wouldn't everyone love exactly this kind of car!
By gazol

2011 BMW 3 Series 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

First diesel, 2nd Euro delivery 26MAY2010, 3rd Beemer. Break on price from BMW and dealer reduced price by $9K to $37K. Mine has luxury package, fold down rear seat, standard wheels. Exhilarating propulsion, fabulous handling, 30mpg city & highway @ 80 mph on trips (but pricey fuel), comfortable, no gremlins, & no complaints. I think that folks who won't consider buying a diesel powered car have never driven one! The 335d, to me, is an uptown diesel well-worth the $42K (including taxes, registration, delivery) to put it on the roads in Europe and California. Try it! You'll love it.

Favorite Features

Torque (lots of it!), superb handling, no I-system, quiet ride, fuel efficiency, superb fit and finish, easy to keep clean, smaller diameter wheels (to improve ride), adjustable front seats, and the cup holders. European delivery alone is worth getting one of BMW's contributions to engineering excellence and joyful driving!

Suggested Improvements

Pockets for stuff on back of front seats would be nice. I wish that owner's manual package fit in glove compartment (it doesn't!). I wish that BMW gave info on the use of biodiesel fuels for this engine.

Perfection.
By skiddnate

2011 BMW 3 Series 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I've owned my M Sport package equipped 335d since November, 2010, and have found it to be nothing short of automotive excellence. From the fit and finish to the ample power and stellar handling, to its robust infotainment system and numerous amenities, the 335d does it all. While it was at the upper end of my price range, over 9000 miles later, it's been worth every cent. No other car provides the combination of power, fuel economy, and luxury of the 335d. Many manufacturers have fielded numerous examples boasting two of the three, but only BMW achieves the perfect balance of all three.

Favorite Features

The 335d's best feature is actually a combination of two things: chest-flattening torque and incredible fuel economy. I've seen this translate into 28mpg when engaging in spirited back-road driving or 37+mpg when cruising on the interstate. The solid feel of every component of the car, from the sturdy, satisfying door closure to the precise feel of the volume or iDrive adjustment knobs, everything in the car confidently conveys excellent quality and craftsmanship. Another favorite feature is the look of disbelief on peoples' faces as I ease up to the diesel pump and politely explain that I do realize I'm about to put diesel in my BMW.

Suggested Improvements

With such an excellent automobile, it took some time to find anything that that could be improved upon. One minor issue I discovered was that the 6-speed automatic tends to hold 2nd and 3rd gear too long when the car is cold. This is easily compensated for by manually shifting until the car has warmed up. Second, the paddle shifters have a little too much play in them, particularly up and down -- they're the only component that doesn't match the solid nature of the rest of the car. ... and finally, maybe... someday, BMW will make a 335d x-Drive wagon with a 6-speed manual.... or, at least an X3 x-Drive 35d.

Impressions of a 1st Time Owner
By cdofil

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

As most consumer reviews are from a BMW fan, often the focus are more of the "Driving Experience" and "the engines". I will try to fill-in a little more details of my first impressions from the perspective of a first time owner. But due to the 700 character limitation of the review form, just follow through my comments for my detailed experiences. Please note that my rating does not include safety features that the car offers which I believe Edmunds.com should have placed such category.

Addition to my diesel stable
By trdsc2

2011 BMW 3 Series 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I purchased this car at the end of March and so far have not passed the break in period. I am sold on diesels, already owning a 2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI. The combination of power and super fuel economy is an unbeatable combination. I love every thing about the vehicle except the lack of interior storage (the owners manual case just barely fits in the glove compartment) and the quality of the leather could be a lot better for a car of this price. I find the low end torque truly intoxicating and much prefer it to having to wind the engine up to high RPM's just to get a power launch.

Favorite Features

Torque, exterior styling, I-drive and the Nav system, paddle shifters, sport suspension, smooth, and quiet highway cruising until you floor the gas. Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Satellite radio, lumbar support, comfort access and universal remote control should be standard features as they are on much less expensive vehicles. More interior storage space. More power outlets in car. Quality of the leather could be better.

The most fun you can have with four wheels
By gruderian

2011 BMW 3 Series 335i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is almost the perfect driving machine. It is the first car since my new 1970 modified Corvette I actually take out for a drive just for the fun of it. This car is engineering perfection. Easy to drive under any conditions and easy to live with on a day by day basis. Gets unbelievable gas mileage for what it is: 19.2, all city, break-in, stop and go dirving; 24, combined, varying rpm 2000 to 4000 for break-in. Seats are more comfortable by a long shot than those in my 2008 550i. Heater/ air conditioner works much better that 550i. No I-drive, a vast improvement. The drive by wire is a vast improvement over the 550i which always reminded me control was a request, not an order.

Favorite Features

The precise way the engine responds. The "you are part of the car" cornering and stopping. Seat comfort and stability. A heater that actually puts heat on my feet. Air conditioning that seems to put cold air where I really want it. Gas mileage for this type of high performance car. A ride far exceeding the one I lived with for three years in the 550i. How it looks from any angle. The precise and tight assembly. Trouble free from the day I drove it off the lot ( 1,340 miles to date ). Living without the I-drive. Common sense interior. Thank you BMW for making the 2011 550i such a drivers performance nightmare. But for that, I would never even thought about this car.

Suggested Improvements

Put back the noise device that alerts me when I lock and unlock the car. Put the cigarette lighter back up front so I do not have to put an extension cord across the seats to run equipment. Make the seat belt holder extend farther forward. A larger trunk would be nice but I do not see how you can do it. Get rid of those Bridgestone run flats and replace them with the Michlens. Make the trunk open all the way when unlocked and put something on the back to make it close easier. More glove compartment storage space would be nice. Install a CD player that will hold more than one disc. Find a better looking wheel (M sport package). I bought new ones to keep up with how good the car looks