Used 2011 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Fun car, fear costly maintenance down the road
By spenceratx

2011 BMW 3 Series 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The 335i was a super fun car to drive. Although the 2011 got the slightly less tunable/powerful N55, it still had lots of grunt, even before mods. I loved the power, sound, and capability of the car. The 6MT was superb, and track time was great. Interior and exterior were well appointed. Having previously owned a G35S and thinking that the German cars were just too costly, I was very pleased to learn that the driving experience was much much better in the Bimmer. I was concerned with the cost of maintenance after warranty so I sold it to get a larger car for kids. I will own another 3 series (sedan) at some point. Costly. Took a bath on the sale price. ugh.

6MT, performance, styling

each feature is so costly, and usually not worth the money.

After a 3year lease happy to turn it in
By phillydad

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is about it's looks and the young feel, when you drive it. Beyond this I am NOT happy at all and will not buy this or any other BMW. Within only 34 month I had to replace 6 tires and repair the wheels twice. The run flat tires are a disaster, unrepairable and they destroy the wheels. Maybe good for the German Autobahn but not for everyday American streets. The navigation and entertainment system is very cumbersome an even after 3 years many functions a mystery to me. The electric works at it's own will like windows rolling up and down without your command. At lease end they will nickel an dime you to make another buck. I have decided to turn to Mercedes Benz....

The looks are good. Topless drive feeling is great.

BMW needs to get rid of the run flat tires, have their software reprogrammed and revisit their electric layout and reliability.

Amazing Drive..Erognomically just ok
By khiladi

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

see below

The speed pick-up, the handling/suspension and that the hard top comes down with remote. Handling is far better than other luxury cars. Meaning I can never make the turns at the speed I do with this BMW in another car like Infiniiti (only other luxury car I have experirence with).

The seat is way too short on the legs. I am close to 6 ft tall and my legs get tired. Had i known this, I would have paid extra for the longer seat - besides its ridiculous you have to pay an extra thousand dollars for a more comfortable seat. The sound system is poor - I have had a Honda and Infiniti before and the standard sound system they provide are much much better quality than BMW's, courtesy Altec and Bose, respectively. I really wish BMW invested a bit more in the sound quality because that is very important to me. They do have a premium sound package which the dealer never told me about. Navigation is simply pathetic , unintuitive, not user friendly.

Nice car ruined by severe engine breaking - this is for sedan with auto transmission Edmunds does not have a selection for auto transmission
By jeffzx

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Problem with the 328i Steptronic Auto Transmission is the harsh engine breaking when you let up on the gas. At slow speeds, and especially in stop- and-go traffic, the heavy engine braking is enough to get many nauseous as the car does not easily coast to a stop. I have never gotten car sick while driving, but with this car if I drive it in heavy traffic for 30 minutes or so I will get car sick. A BMW Expert told me "I have had a few customers tell me the same thing so I am not surprised of noticing the engine braking." Further, the car emits a very high-pitch sound for about 45 seconds every time you open or close any door or the trunk. Finally, the run flat tires give a harsh ride.

I-Drive is great; infact, the whole naviation system is fine. The stereo sytem is great. The car handles well, and has nice fit and finish. Great looking car, but small if used to driving a mid-size car.

Get rid of the harsh engine breaking! Especially noticeable in heavy traffic, the car feels "tight" due to the engine breaking every time you let up on the gas. The engine breaking is more noticeable and slow speeds. Also, very noticeable when going up a parking garage. I would suggest anybody test driving this car try driving up to the top of a parking garage a few time, and in heavy traffic for at least 20-30 minutes. If you are a person who tends to get car sick as a passenger, watch out!! Option for non-run flat tires. Sidewalls so stiff that ride is harsh ride over time. Eliminate high-pitch noise! You will not notice this until you purchase the car and park it in your garage!

Great BMW car!
By billr6

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Smooth car, very fast, looks great! interior is very nice and exterior is first class!! Power is amazing, I pass other cars on the highway in 3 to 10 seconds!! When you press the gas engine growls ever so nicely!! I am very confident when passing other cars on the highway or city streets. Steering and handling is first class!! Amazing car!!!

Speed, pick up, engine growl. Great looking car out and in.

remove run flat tires and use regular performance tires.