Used 2011 BMW 3 Series 335i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Bent rod, needs a new engine
By Dominic Moruzzi

2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've been a member of the BMWCCA for more than ten years now. This is my 7th three series. M package, rear wheel drive manual 6speed, Power Kit so 320 HP. Noticed and felt engine noise since 68k miles. thought it might be the flywheel and clutch. Replaced at $3,000. Not the issue Dealership did a compression test, said it needs a new engine. $18,000! BMW will cover 50% because it's out of warranty. I provided all oil change docs. BMW wanted to see oil changes at least every 15k. I averaged every 7,500 miles. Never auto crossed or tracked. Commuter car, 42 year old father of four. Not laying down patches or beating on the car. My take, don't buy a turbo model. Too much stress on the engine components. Never own one of these out of warranty, you're asking for trouble. Fuel pump was replaced under warranty (common issue), water pump was on my dime. Hardly reliable, worst car I've ever owned. Beast on the highway? at 4.3 0-60 yes. Sad to say it, I'm a Bimmer guy through and through but that's it for me. BMW corporate said they wouldn't make a repair coverage decision until they knew for sure what the problem was. I wanted the dealership to drop the oil pan to definitively diagnose the issue so I could tell BMW NA what was wrong. After the compression test all of a sudden the dealership clammed up like it was a cover up? The dealership would not go any further. They told the manufacturer that it needed a new engine without ever dropping the oil pan and taking a peek. Didn't make sense. I still want to have an independent garage take a look so maybe I can get some video or pics and post them. Forget about BMW customer service. I got someone on the line outsourced from India. If you must buy a BMW again never own one out of warranty! Unless your buying a fixer upper for a couple of grand. Good luck!

love it!!
By bmw1988

2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I like this body styke, handling, and fit and finish even over the new 2012+ generation.

Navigation, Xenons,

Fun car, fear costly maintenance down the road
By spenceratx

2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The 335i was a super fun car to drive. Although the 2011 got the slightly less tunable/powerful N55, it still had lots of grunt, even before mods. I loved the power, sound, and capability of the car. The 6MT was superb, and track time was great. Interior and exterior were well appointed. Having previously owned a G35S and thinking that the German cars were just too costly, I was very pleased to learn that the driving experience was much much better in the Bimmer. I was concerned with the cost of maintenance after warranty so I sold it to get a larger car for kids. I will own another 3 series (sedan) at some point. Costly. Took a bath on the sale price. ugh.

6MT, performance, styling

each feature is so costly, and usually not worth the money.

Great car.
By chan88

2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 2nd BMW since I briefly owned a 325i in 1994. I had a Infiniti EX before I got this 335i (with sport pkg). This car runs great, but not a great value compared to others. It lacks a lot of standard features that others (acura or infiniti) have. Standard stereo is a joke at $50K price. My EX Bose system was much better. Fit and finish are great. No problem at 800 miles now. Ride quality on RFT is acceptable. I like the car's steering feel, suspension, engine, transmission, and solid chasis. These are the reasons I bought BMW. The driving dynamics is class leading.

Power and driving dynamics

Cup holder, low beam headlight, standard stereo system, location of central door lock. Need better intuitive control on navigation menu. Overhead light fixtures are of cheap material. Doesn't match a $50k car.

2011 BMW 335i 6-speed Steptronic Sedan
By dozhdbog

2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a fantastic car, well-priced, with amazing handling and performance as well as creature comforts and a smooth ride -the best of all worlds without sacrificing anything. The adaptive xenon headlights with coronas are second only to the new Audi headlamp arrays in beauty and first in performance. Premium package added some bells and whistles that I maybe didn't need, but are nice to have, like car theft recovery, sos button, and dakota leather seating. I do wish I had gotten the sports package as now that I have a performance car, I am tempted to bring it to the track. Warranty matching aftermarket modifications through Dinan may be the route I take.

-High Performance engine with wide power band -Smooth and quick transmission -Excellent safety features -Great stock sound system -Fantastic styling and scrupulously constructed -Amazing handling and braking.

-I opted for no idrive, and the sound system's screen is too tiny and low down -iphone contact list will not integrate via bluetooth, I must dial by number. Like to see that fixed on non-idrive cars -fold-down rear seat should be standard in a car of this class, not an option -Blinker signal stalk takes a bit of oomph to move, which sometimes results in a mis-move that pops on the highbeams.

• SUV