Used 2011 BMW 3 Series 335i xDrive Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Not all 3-series are the same. 335i is king
By TX yup

2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The 3-series varies immensely according to which model you get and extras you purchase. I have a 335i xdrive with sports package that includes sports bucket seats, steptronic shifting paddles on the steering wheel, thicker steering wheel, tightened suspension. Other features are garage door opener, shadowline, sunroof, drop down rear seats, xenon head lights. First impressions from styling is always up to to driver but I feel the clean look has a mature look to it. It has the a classy look with a monster of an engine that you would never know by the look. Interior the car has clean lines with quality materials. The wood accent is nice. The feel of the dash is good and gives of no glare which is great for driving. The layout of the cluster does take a little to get use to. The radio is sometimes confused for the heat and Ac. The directionals get a little to get use to as well as the cruise. Radio is good quality not great but the interaction with my cell phone works well. Comfort is bar none to any other. The sports seat hug you, in turns and are very comfortable on long drives. Like every car today you get a hundred different positions you can choose. The sports steering wheel is fat and so easy to hold. When sitting in the drivers seat you feel very comfortable. Rear seats are ample for two adults, tight with three. I run with two car seats and plenty of room. The trunk is deceivingly large but I suggest the pull down rear seats for runs to the hardware store. Very happy with the space in such a tight sports sedan. Engine and handling, there's a reason they say it's the ultimate driving experience. The inline six is smooth and powerful. It's smooth with the six gear transmission when you are driving other and want to take it easy. If you want to get on it, it has enough power to scare you and break a few laws. When in sports mode the gears are held a little longer and you can control shifting with the paddle shifters. I seldomly use the shifters while in sports mode but while on the highway in regular mode I will shift down to pass or change lanes. Once you get off the gas the car automatically shifts back into a higher gear. As far as handling the car is smooth on highways a little bumpy in the city due to the tightened suspension but if you get it into the mountains it is solid at high speeds around the corners. At times you'll surprise yourself how fast you take the corners with while feeling in total control. Reliability is a crap shoot, I've heard horror stories but the service by BMW is excellent. I drive an hour to Austin just to use them because they are worth the drive. Luckily I've had nothing but a few misfires. The car is 5 years old and turns heads were ever I go. It's tight, fast and comfortable. Every time I get into my car I smile and every time I get out I smile. My past cars have been Jeep Wrangler, VW golf, Nissan 300z, Hyndai Santa Fe, Infiniti FX35, Infiniti G35, BMW 328i and Acura MDX this is by far the best car I've ever owned maybe the best I've driven next to a Porsche 911. It's also 60k less than the Porsche and can fit my girls in the back. My wife feels like the car is too powerful and she doesn't feel comfortable driving it. She prefers the 328i which is more tame and is peppy if you want it. With the 335i the power is always there so you need to be aware when driving.

Falling out of love
By Marcie

2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a 2011 335xi, I was so in love with this car when I got it but since the warranty has expired, I am falling out of love. My left headlight is drooping, my steering wheel is squeaking, and my fuel mileage is dropping-14mpg in the city! And the car is warm, I think the temp sensor or something is going bad. My car died on me in the middle of a busy road when the water pump died, then 2 months later it started to smoke-resulting from 2 engine gasket seals that needed to be replaced. I wish I had purchased an extended warranty, these repairs were over $2500 dollars.

Great but small
By dbruce1112

2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just traded in my new 2011 BMW 328xi for a TL. BMW has awesome ride, but real small. I'm 6' tall 230 lbs. Very cramped for my long commute every day. Back seat was too small for even my kids. My 4'10 8 year old even had a tough time getting comfortable in the back. Forget it when it came to work associates.....way too small for any lengthy ride. If you want the classic sports car ride....this is it. Like a zipper on the road...but you need to be smaller or sacrifice the comfort for the fun.

Ride, quietness.

Power port should be more accessible.

service really isn't free
By car876

2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

i have owned multiple bmw's , and we currently own 3. they handle great . there are 4 things i think bmw should address : 1. they advertise free service, but that is a joke/scam. they really don't do much, because they say the car doesn't need any service. they used to change oil at 15,000 miles. now they say the car can go 25,000 miles and for low mileage cars they used to change oil once a year. now they won't . the oil hasn't changed, just their policy. 2. options cost a lot, and should be included, such as the swing down side mirror when in reverse. 3. repairs cost a lot, like battery at $500. 4. run-flats are fine, but there should be a spare also, and there isn't

handling and comfort.

options add 7 to 10,000 to the car. bmw should lower cost and include more standard items, such as fold down rear seat (to extend trunk). Run flat tires are a nice idea but the car should have a spare tire. to get a new battery, you HAVE to go to dealer, and it costs $500. very high cost for parts and labor should be addressed, such as a wheel bearing at $500. this is much more than other car companies. service should be "free" it that is what they advertise. i have had to pay for oil changes, because they won't do it once a year on low mileage car. also, they say coolant is lifetime. nobody else has lifetime coolant. they used to change it every 3 years or so.

powerful in any gear
By i_heart_bmw

2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 48 hr review of the car. I have only had it 2 days I can only rate it based on my current experience. I have owned a '98 328i and a '05 330ix, both I have loved. Both manual trans and were extremely reliable. I would highly suggest getting a manual to take advantage of the torque curve. The automatic, though fine, lags a little bit in my opinion because it wants to downshift if you stomp on the accelerator. In a manual, with the 300 fps starting at 1200 rpms, you have the power to climb a hill in any gear so you don't necessarily have to down shift. I bought this with nearly every package and option available. Definitely buy this with the M sports package.

The I drive system is very intricate. It greatly improves a drivers experience and you can fine tune how the car operates down to the chirp with the door unlocks. But there is a learning curve to it, take your time to get to know it. The blue tooth is very nice. I use a Droid 2 and I just have to enter the car with my phone and it automatically pairs up. The M sports package with the improved steering wheel makes for a very comfortable and confident steering feel. The bucket seats hug me perfectly and I don't slide around in a tight turn. The short shift kit it comes with is wonderful Comfort access, I just have to touch the door handle to enter or lock the door. Power and handling.

The I drive is very intricate. I have not compared it to another vehicle by personal use, but observationally it seems they could improves this via a touch screen display. Other than that as I have only been using it for 2 days, I am just getting used to how it operates and I am sure I will be just as happy with the way the UI stands as it is. After TTL I paid 66k for this car. Mind you I added pretty much every option, including a mechanical rear sun shade. You can find this for a lot less and if you do not need to finely tune an experience, drop the I drive, the convenience packages. I did add the extended mechanical warranty as well. Without the warranty and tax it listed out at 57k