Used 2011 BMW 3 Series 328i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Cool 328i M Sport package Automatic
By zoolander1

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The 3 series is a "buyers car". BMW sells so many of them that they flood the used car market at a fraction of their original MSRP. I found an excellent conditioned M Sport package still under CPO warranty for 2 more years and/or 40k miles for less than half of it's original MSRP, had 59k miles on the odometer but otherwise a near perfect car. In addition to the M Sport package, it also has the convenience and premium packages, so it is almost top of the line.

Favorite Features

Interior design and materials, driving dynamics, sound system, wheel package and aggressive body kit and 18" staggered wheels, MPG! Normally aspired engine, which I prefer over the 335i turbo for reliability reasons.

Suggested Improvements

I never liked run flats so I replaced them with conventional ones for a much smoother ride. Hallogen lights are so primitive.

Nice car ruined by severe engine breaking - this is for sedan with auto transmission Edmunds does not have a selection for auto transmission
By jeffzx

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Problem with the 328i Steptronic Auto Transmission is the harsh engine breaking when you let up on the gas. At slow speeds, and especially in stop- and-go traffic, the heavy engine braking is enough to get many nauseous as the car does not easily coast to a stop. I have never gotten car sick while driving, but with this car if I drive it in heavy traffic for 30 minutes or so I will get car sick. A BMW Expert told me "I have had a few customers tell me the same thing so I am not surprised of noticing the engine braking." Further, the car emits a very high-pitch sound for about 45 seconds every time you open or close any door or the trunk. Finally, the run flat tires give a harsh ride.

Favorite Features

I-Drive is great; infact, the whole naviation system is fine. The stereo sytem is great. The car handles well, and has nice fit and finish. Great looking car, but small if used to driving a mid-size car.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the harsh engine breaking! Especially noticeable in heavy traffic, the car feels "tight" due to the engine breaking every time you let up on the gas. The engine breaking is more noticeable and slow speeds. Also, very noticeable when going up a parking garage. I would suggest anybody test driving this car try driving up to the top of a parking garage a few time, and in heavy traffic for at least 20-30 minutes. If you are a person who tends to get car sick as a passenger, watch out!! Option for non-run flat tires. Sidewalls so stiff that ride is harsh ride over time. Eliminate high-pitch noise! You will not notice this until you purchase the car and park it in your garage!

Great BMW car!
By billr6

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Smooth car, very fast, looks great! interior is very nice and exterior is first class!! Power is amazing, I pass other cars on the highway in 3 to 10 seconds!! When you press the gas engine growls ever so nicely!! I am very confident when passing other cars on the highway or city streets. Steering and handling is first class!! Amazing car!!!

Favorite Features

Speed, pick up, engine growl. Great looking car out and in.

Suggested Improvements

remove run flat tires and use regular performance tires.

The Ultimate Whining Machine
By hiredgun

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 328 developed a gear whine at 1000 miles that is still there today at 12000 miles. BMW replaced the differential at 1500 miles, but the whine returned 500 miles later. They refused to fix the problem, so I filed a lemon law claim against BMW. I lost the case, even though the arbitration panel members all heard the noise. The panel stated that it would annoy car owners, but they claimed it did not substantially impact the use, value or safety of the car. BMW researched me on the internet before the case and their attorney was very rude. Now the speedometer is 5mph too fast, and I have to calculate my speed when driving. Can't wait to see what they say about this problem.

Favorite Features

Looks nice when clean, even though this $43 sounds like an 80's Hyundai when driving.

Suggested Improvements

Correct the differential whine. My car has a serious whine and several of the loaner 328s have driven also have problem. This is uncharacteristic of the ultimate driving machine and of a 43k vehicle. Put a speedometer in the car that is accurate. Stand behind your product better.

Great fun to drive
By johnlutt

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I really love this car. It handles is like a groove in the road. I do have a few complaints. First, the throttle response sucks (at least when new). Auto trans starts in 2nd and there seems to be a lag getting up to speed when driving normally. Punching it will start in 1st, but there is still a slight delay then up to speed quickly. Dealer said the trans will "learn" based on driving habits. Surprisingly, he seems to be right and it has gotten better or I have gotten used to it. The aux connection is in the center console but no place for the cord to exit. Stock stereo on my 1998 Maxima probably sounds better. Can't read stereo with polarized sun glasses.

Favorite Features

Handling