2011 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Nice car ruined by severe engine breaking - this is for sedan with auto transmission Edmunds does not have a selection for auto transmission
By jeffzx on 01/19/12 17:16 PM (PST)

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Problem with the 328i Steptronic Auto Transmission is the harsh engine breaking when you let up on the gas. At slow speeds, and especially in stop- and-go traffic, the heavy engine braking is enough to get many nauseous as the car does not easily coast to a stop. I have never gotten car sick while driving, but with this car if I drive it in heavy traffic for 30 minutes or so I will get car sick. A BMW Expert told me "I have had a few customers tell me the same thing so I am not surprised of noticing the engine braking." Further, the car emits a very high-pitch sound for about 45 seconds every time you open or close any door or the trunk. Finally, the run flat tires give a harsh ride.

Great BMW car!
By billr6 on 01/18/12 11:14 AM (PST)

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Smooth car, very fast, looks great! interior is very nice and exterior is first class!! Power is amazing, I pass other cars on the highway in 3 to 10 seconds!! When you press the gas engine growls ever so nicely!! I am very confident when passing other cars on the highway or city streets. Steering and handling is first class!! Amazing car!!!

The Ultimate Whining Machine
By hiredgun on 07/27/11 11:46 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 328 developed a gear whine at 1000 miles that is still there today at 12000 miles. BMW replaced the differential at 1500 miles, but the whine returned 500 miles later. They refused to fix the problem, so I filed a lemon law claim against BMW. I lost the case, even though the arbitration panel members all heard the noise. The panel stated that it would annoy car owners, but they claimed it did not substantially impact the use, value or safety of the car. BMW researched me on the internet before the case and their attorney was very rude. Now the speedometer is 5mph too fast, and I have to calculate my speed when driving. Can't wait to see what they say about this problem.

Great fun to drive
By johnlutt on 02/04/11 12:34 PM (PST)

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I really love this car. It handles is like a groove in the road. I do have a few complaints. First, the throttle response sucks (at least when new). Auto trans starts in 2nd and there seems to be a lag getting up to speed when driving normally. Punching it will start in 1st, but there is still a slight delay then up to speed quickly. Dealer said the trans will "learn" based on driving habits. Surprisingly, he seems to be right and it has gotten better or I have gotten used to it. The aux connection is in the center console but no place for the cord to exit. Stock stereo on my 1998 Maxima probably sounds better. Can't read stereo with polarized sun glasses.

2011 328i 3.0 AUTO
By semperfi68 on 01/01/11 11:52 AM (PST)

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Our first BMW. Picked up this car new and like the way it handles and drives. The cup holders are fine with me. I like how they are out of sight when not in use. The radio is good. One must be near deaf to need or want a lounder one. The car is not made for people with big feet. Wife is small and has small feet, and she drives the most, where I'm tall and me feet hit the brakes or gas ped by accident often. Still, it's ok. However, since buying this car, it's been in the shop 3 times for a diff. problem. (my luck). First time, they replaced said diff., next, replaced oil and added some, wanted us to drive it aound a few weeks, next, they ordered another diff.. Still waiting

Unexpected disappointment
By Dirttrack on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Before you purchase a 328i please check the equipment list. Base car has no tinted windshield, no alarm, not even a beep when you lock the car. Perhaps a $550.00 special paint job, no seatback storage and perhaps other items I missed. Billed out at $39,000 and not even XM radio. First oil change is 12,000 mi. But, it is a tremendous driving machine. The advertising is correct. Almost only want to drive on two lane roads. Great grip, great brakes only the low beams are a little to low. Fun to drive but check your extras. My responsibility to check equipment. If you want a real car to drive, get a 328i, nothing like it.

Technology Updates
By Texan on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Really like driving the car on the highway. No problem using the IDrive - just need to spend some time getting familiar with it.

First BMW
By Charley Thomas on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Fantastic driving machine. But, there are some issues that trouble me. Check out all the standard features prior to purchase. Many items standard on a much less expensive car are not there. No security system, not even a beep from the horn when locking vehicle. One outlet for GPS, lighter, or any other electronic stuff you might have. No pocket on back seats. Cup holders flimsy. Run flat tires. Picked up a screw. Had to patch inside of tire. No tire warranty, . And some other items I feel should be standard. My fault, was so excited after test drive did not think of small things that should be there. For forty grand one EXPECTS them. However, the car is one helluva driving machine.

The best for the money!
By Mike Hatoum on 10/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

When every Auto maker aims at the BMW 3S when build or redesign it tells is all it is the BM for all luxury and sport in this sigma. Every auto maker that i can think of has to mention the BMW 3S in one way or another, matter of fact several of them believe that it is the ultimate goal to match the 3S as passing it is almost impossible unless it is another beamer.

Second 3-Series and Still Impressed
By dmaccioc on 08/13/10 16:07 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had a 2007 328i with minimal equipment and can say after just a week of owning the 2011, make sure you get the Premium Package and Nav. Completely different car and though more expensive, a better value with proper equipment. iDrive is easy to use and traffic sensing comes in handy in the NY metro area! This car looks much better with the now standard 17" wheels and it still rides well. The 3 series is perfect in every way - only things I don't like about it are: cup holders, somewhat lacking storage, small back seat, and lack of flip-down rear seats without CW package. The steering feel, engine sound, taut ride, and amazing craftsmanship are what brought me back. Couldn't be happier.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 BMW 3 Series in VA is:

$139 per month*