2009 BMW 3 Series 3.0L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual Consumer Review - Good - Not Perfect

2009 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Review

328i Coupe (3.0L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

Good - Not Perfect
By Ernie on

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

If you're a 'driver' you'll love the steering, suspension and handling. Plus, the car is tight, engine is smooth and interior is perfect. But... HD radio is terrible. Constantly flips in & out of HD, save your money. BMW won't fix it. Auto trans is also sketchy. In sport mode it won't ever go to 6th gear and regular mode just doesn't downshift readily. If you're doing 40 MPH and step on it, it bogs down unless you press deep on the pedal. It makes the car feel underpowered. But you can punch it down a gear (or 2) with paddle shifters (I have sport pkg). Had a 330i with 5-spd prior to this and power wise, this is a little disappointing. If you're on the fence... get the Turbo! Wish I did.

Favorite Features

Sport package seats and heaters (they're fast). Chunky steering wheel. Exterior style. Back seat is most usable in this class.

Suggested Improvements

BMW engineers should drive an Acura to see how an auto should work. I'm not crazy about turbos (which is why I didn't buy one) so I'd like to see a stronger non-turbo (AKA the old 330 motor). BMW should make it possible to buy car without run-flats - they're really stupid about this.