Used 2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 61 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

MORE COMPLEXITY
By DL

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Looks great, AWD with winter tires makes it unstoppable in snow. Standard seats not good for long trips. Recent 1200 mile trip in 09 accord=much more comfortable in a car costing 1/2 of my 3 series. This is my third BMW, all electronics get more complex and inscrutable with each new model: bluetooth phone not well thought out, and my ipod becomes more difficult to use with BMW controls. If you like making a hobby out of learning how to use a car, BMW controls may appeal to you. Minimal storage space in passenger compartment. Lots of unfixable noises in very cold weather. On the plus side, great handling, nice ride (16 inch tires). Fold down rear seats very useful, esp with small trunk.

All wheel drive. Brakes.

Fix inaccurate speedometer(3-4 % too fast) and (overly optimistic) mpg calculator. This seems to be characteristic of all BMWs. Need more comfortable seats. Make electronics 'consumer friendly', more intuitive.

Bimmer screamer
By Nathan

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Car just looks stunning. The sport package and blacked out chrome is really beautiful. Went from a Passat to the 335i and won't look back. The car handles like a go-cart and just is so smooth to operate. People looking for a soft cushy ride should avoid the 'sport' package as it is a bit more stout. A true drivers car if there ever was, pure fun! I've driven some fast cars, but this blends performance and comfort in a great package. The 4/50l maintainance plan is great as well.

Engine, paddle shifters, brakes, heated steering wheel!

No manual door lock button in the cabin; haven't looked through the 5 volume owners book yet to find out where this is...:(

Perfect Sedan
By DanD

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Still can't believe after 19,000 miles and 6 months the car still feels GREAT. Optional Xenons are are a MUST, sports package, and cold weather package. Leatherette feels great and holds up very nicely. AWD system is the best I have ever owned. Had a 2002 Audi allroad and this car gets around just as good if not better. No complaints about the run flats. Just had it in for first service at 17k, said tires had almost no wear!! Handling is BEST in class, I drove every car in segment. Brakes are the best I have ever had. HIGHLY recommended, at least test drive, blows the new A4 out of the water in handling. 30+ mpg on my long road trips! 25+ city hwy!

Butter smooth engine all the way to redline. Sports seats are very supportive and comfortable. AWD system is kicking this Minnesota winters rear! Even got out of my drive way after 12+ inches of snow and the plow mound! Sat radio is great. Xenons are amazing. Takes 15 seconds for seats to heat.

Curious about replacing RFT's. Long oil changes makes me nervous, 17k for last one. Second power jack, can't put arm rest down if I have my phone charging. Wish some options were not so $$.

Buyer's remorse
By jenn

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased BMW only 6 weeks ago and have buyers remorse. I drove a lexus GX470 for over 6 years and thought it was time for something fun. At first the car was great to drive. After a month or so, the excitement started to wear off. The seats are not comfortable on long distances. I started noticing that my lower back was sore but I didn't think much about it, until the other day when I drove an hour across town. On the way home my back was killing me. I started feeling like I was driving a go cart! The hands free blackberry does not sound good and my 2 kids hate riding in the back seat!

Handling, bodystyle.

Seats are too firm, blue tooth technology needs improvement, needs extra power supply, the one in the center console won't charge my garmin with the lid closed.

Where did the room go?
By HardDriver

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the most fun car to drive since my '73 Porsche. Whether on a freeway or (better yet) a twisting country road, this car is flat out fun to drive. No matter how hard I put it into a turn, it looks over its shoulder and asks, "is that all you got?" On a recent Los Angeles to San Francisco freeway trip, I got just over 30 mpg. Pros: Road hugging performance, good mileage, styling and finish. Cons: This car is essentially the same size as the Accord and Avalon. Where did all the interior room go ? I am 5'11" and it is hard to get in and out. Headroom is scarce and there is no legroom in the rear seat. The trunk is tiny. There is also a very annoying throttle lag off the line.

Excellent handling road car; good mileage, finish work is excellent, inside and out. I really like the styling.

More room in the cockpit, more legroom in the back seat. I honestly don't know how people who are bigger than I get in and out of the car.