2009 BMW 3 Series 328i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Sort Reviews by

Second time lucky
By big kev

2009 BMW 3 Series 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This is my second 3 series - the first was 2007 335i and for some reason this 'update' is a much better car. I have 16" wheels with 205/50 tires deliberately avoiding low profiles and the ride is very comfortable, and handling is fine (runflat smash and crash is gone!) I find The car more comfortable than the 5 series and traded my 2008 Audi A4, which I liked a lot but the Beema is much smoother and more 'refined' - especially the diesel engine. Hated the old 3 series mainly because of the high fuel bills and the horrible ride - love this one; mainly because of the improved ride due to non low profile runflats and Continental tires rather than Bridgestone which were awful.

Favorite Features

Mileage, torque, comfortable seats (I'm 6'2") handling and the way it looks.

Suggested Improvements

Instruments are a bit small, and it makes a high pitched 'whining' noise through the gears. Not loud but annoying and noticeable. Told the dealer and they said 'they just do that'. Nothing wrong.

Surpassed expectations by, oh...
By Chester

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i xDrive 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

...7 light years. I have owned 7 Subarus, two Audi Quattros, and thought they could not be beaten. I was wrong. The handling, overall performance, and especially the sport seats (comfort level) exceeds all the aforementioned autos. I did option for the automatic with sport pkg. and the letdown on acel. is barely noticeable. Due in part to the reworked tranny, excellent response and shiftability...No need to tell you how much fun it is to drive, handles like a dream, the rap on runflats have not been a factor yet, suspension takes care of that...Oh what a feeling, and it is not, a toyota...Fit, finish,and interior are exceptional...I love my xDrive Coupe.

Favorite Features

The Coupe just sitting there looks awesome with the 18" wheels. The sport seats: lumbar support, lateral adjustable bolsters, and thigh extension are the greatest thing going...

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of anything at the moment. Although some complain it is a little "pricey", I say what do you expect for the best entry level sport sedan/coupe?

Buyer's remorse
By jenn

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased BMW only 6 weeks ago and have buyers remorse. I drove a lexus GX470 for over 6 years and thought it was time for something fun. At first the car was great to drive. After a month or so, the excitement started to wear off. The seats are not comfortable on long distances. I started noticing that my lower back was sore but I didn't think much about it, until the other day when I drove an hour across town. On the way home my back was killing me. I started feeling like I was driving a go cart! The hands free blackberry does not sound good and my 2 kids hate riding in the back seat!

Favorite Features

Handling, bodystyle.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are too firm, blue tooth technology needs improvement, needs extra power supply, the one in the center console won't charge my garmin with the lid closed.

Where did the room go?
By HardDriver

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the most fun car to drive since my '73 Porsche. Whether on a freeway or (better yet) a twisting country road, this car is flat out fun to drive. No matter how hard I put it into a turn, it looks over its shoulder and asks, "is that all you got?" On a recent Los Angeles to San Francisco freeway trip, I got just over 30 mpg. Pros: Road hugging performance, good mileage, styling and finish. Cons: This car is essentially the same size as the Accord and Avalon. Where did all the interior room go ? I am 5'11" and it is hard to get in and out. Headroom is scarce and there is no legroom in the rear seat. The trunk is tiny. There is also a very annoying throttle lag off the line.

Favorite Features

Excellent handling road car; good mileage, finish work is excellent, inside and out. I really like the styling.

Suggested Improvements

More room in the cockpit, more legroom in the back seat. I honestly don't know how people who are bigger than I get in and out of the car.

3 Strikes you're out!!
By click click click

2009 BMW 3 Series 335i xDrive 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2009 335xi in August after driving my C70 Volvo into the ground with 173k on it. The volvo was a sled compared to this beauty. This car is not problem free! I have had the car in four times for warranty and I'm still not happy. First check engine light " miss fire " second time bad high pressure fuel pump, third time, mechanical fuel pump. Turn on the intermittent wiper and listen to the relay click under the dash. Dealer says that's normal. Then the seat belt arm shorted out. So they replaced that. I just bought 4 Toyota Yaris for my delivery fleet and they are quieter than this BMW. Dealer said get use to the noises I said are you kidding me !!

Favorite Features

performance

Suggested Improvements

raise the seat belt buckle up higher, work on all the noises in the car, install dust free brake pads, install better quality parts

Power performance & mileage in a Bimmer
By Nyurkt

2009 BMW 3 Series 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

We Absolutely LOVE this vehicle awesome power, mileage & fuel economy even if driven hard love the exhaust note drives handles feels and sounds great. This is a true drivers car second Bimmer for the family and I'm sure many more to come. Traded in our Accord Ex-V6 great car but the mileage was not up to par for HONDA, now we get awesome performance & braking as well as excellent fuel economy.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy Performance-Torque Stability-handling Braking Oh did I say Fuel Economy (smile)

Suggested Improvements

Storage, cup holders make folding rear seatbacks standard also radio display can't be seen with our sunglasses on (these are the minor Bummers for our Bimmer).

335i AWD
By dsheff

2009 BMW 3 Series 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Traded in an M3 and a 330xi for a new 335i AWD. Sales guy said that the 335i would out-perform my M3 - I doubted him, of course. Drove my new car home in a bad snow storm and was worried about making it home safely. This car performed beautifully in the snow! Now that the roads are dry I love the performance of the turbo engine.

Favorite Features

Performance, AWD, heated seats and steering wheel!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are useless.

Drive one, you'll believe!
By Steve loves BMW

2009 BMW 3 Series 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Got this 335i Xdrive December 5, 2008 and 23000 miles later I still love it. This is work car so few options, but that doesn't diminish that it is a kick to drive. The six speed manual is great. Outstanding acceleration and handling and NO TURBO LAG! I now drive it almost all the time. Madera red and beige leatherette looks great. I loved my 2001 330i 5-speed, liked my 2004 A4, like my wife's 2005 330xi, but they all fade in comparison to this. One quibble: ordered light burlwood trim, got dark non-burl wood. Dealer said it is light and dark is darker but that's like Monty Python's dead parrot skit...."it's supposed to be that way."

Favorite Features

Six-speed stick, awesome power, max torque from 1400 RPMs up, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

I don't care for the run flats. Cup holder seem flimsy. Wish they would either make the owners manual smaller or the glove box bigger so I could put the former in the latter.

My 5th BMW in 4 years 09 BMW 328i coupe
By My fifth BMW

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am a disappointed buyer of beautifully sculpted 3 series coupe. I have test driven everything that BMW made the last 4 years and I do own four BMWs currently all bought new. So, here are the probs I had so far with current mileage of 12,500: 1. before 2000 miles, my car needed alignment. 2. Averaging once every two weeks, my BMW constantly requires air on two rear tires. 3. 8,700miles - replaced my left rear tire. 4. 9,800 miles - engine light came on and had to take it in. 5. 10,900 - my engine light came on again after it was fixed. 6. 10,000 miles- called BMW corp and made complaint. 7. 11,500 - they told me they will call me back & it's been two weeks with no return call. Shame on them.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

1. Transmission - not smooth although quicker, it shifts untimely. 2. Power - car does not apply pwr like a BMW. 3. Needs better quality speakers. 4. Seats - comes with sport package and it hurts your back. I recommend the seats that are used in 3 series sedan.

Practical Fun
By Albnyc

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i xDrive 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

A well-balanced, practical and fun car. Adequate but not generous space, but no significant difference from competitors. Even 5 series wagon has little additional room. The technology is amazing. iDrive much improved.

Favorite Features

Handling

Suggested Improvements

Run flat tires need axing...