Used 2009 BMW 3 Series 328i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Great car
By blue-bull

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Just one awesome car to drive. My wife is begging me to drive it, but I refuse for I am having way too much fun. Well balanced performance, driving experience and comfort this is build for the drive car.

More power please!!!

The "low tire" light comes on every day... what a pain!!!! I never know if it is because of the cold or a real flat tire!!!

1st Time New Bimmer Owner
By Erik G.

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

In US Army, and drove an 18 year old Bimmer for 2 yrs in Germany. Loved it so much and impressed I bought a new one. My first sports car! Got the jet black stock color. It hugs the road like nothing I've ever driven. Goes effortlessly to 110mph, and it's great to be able to do this on the autobahn and still be legal! Fits my 3 kids, 11, 9, and 6 in the back seat, though it's tight. Trunk bigger than expected. I too have had trouble shifting smoothly with the "drive by wire" clutch it has. At first I thought it was me, but looking at other reviews I guess it's just the technology. Too bad it can't keep you from stalling it too. Overall we love our Bimmer!

Jet black color is awesome clean and shined! WOW! Love the body contouring, it just looks lean and mean. Love the cruise controls, easy to use. Auto wipers rock, even shut off in the down position if car is turned off early. Very SOLID built interior. It is built to last, like my 18 yr old BMW.

Poor lighter jack placement, need one in the dash again. Cup holders could be deeper. Improve Drive by Wire so shifting would be smoother. Add auto shutoff when in stop/go traffic like European models. Wheels get dirty so quick, must be the brake pads they use.

Still the Best
By Wil

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Needed a simple not too flashy business/ personal car and drove everything in this class. G8 was fun but future is bad. Jetta was okay but not as refined. Audi too slow. Owned a 99 328i so I decided to try 328i and not 330i as this is business car. Wow, this is a performance car with luxury and brings smiles every time I drive. Hard to do when you are replacing a Vette. Driving dynamics are still the best after all these years. BMW Straight 6 is still the best engine made on the planet. I was surprised the buying experience, price and attitude of BMW has changed. Got best deal from them which was a total surprise.

Engine, comfort of driving position, and the way it handles all type of roads and driving situations. New wet braking is great here in Florida. Auto is very responsive in manual mode when you want to race.

Worst design of power outlets ever. BMW has moved outlet from ashtray area to passenger dash area and outlet in console will not accommodate regular power cords. Cannot close while in use.

New Car Impressions
By Joshua7

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW. Thought I wanted to own one to see how I liked being a Bimmer owner. It's a nice ride but is TOO expensive for what you get. Not much value for the money. I also hear the whining noise coming from the engine or transmission. Sounds like the whining sound from a turbine, but the car does not have a turbocharger. The sound varies at different speeds and engine torque. Sometimes not very noticeable at all. The seats are also hard comparable to competition. Nice build quality though. Not much luxury options for the buck though.

Exterior design. Bluetooth and premium package.

Work on making the seats more comfortable and get rid of the whining sound.

Better than expected
By Navig8

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Not a BMW fan in general, but bought this after a test drive. It's no sports car, but is fun to drive. Much more importantly the refinement is peerless. Interior reviews for this car are so-so, but I personally love the mixture of simplicity and great build quality - it fits my definition of 'luxury' more than lots of buttons or extra decoration. For me, it was the refinement and composure that won me over, but the gas mileage (25mpg so far) is a bonus. Worst aspect is the attention. People think buying a BMW says something about you (either good or bad) - and either way it's totally out of proportion with reality... It's just a sedan for crying out loud!! My $40K Nissan got no attention.

-Amazing dual purpose character - total refinement at moderate throttle turns to pleasant snarl at high RPM; -Semi-auto is push-forward for downshifts - perfect! -DSC allows a little tail action, even fully engaged; -lights on exterior door handles are one of those great touches -Bluetooth

-Car drinks gas in slow moving traffic or at idle at an alarming rate. Why not bring the Euro-model's auto shut- off? -Steering wheel has hard leather and rim is too thin. New TSX has it beet in both thickness and leather quality -Too much throttle travel in regular auto mode before car moves off