Used 2009 BMW 3 Series 328i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Steering wheel vibrations
By bmax-car

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My previous car was 2008 Mercedes c- class c300, nice car and it was problems free had better sound/radio system, sunroof and rain sensing wipers feature was better vs BMW's, my 2009 BMW 328i drives better than MB c- class, but it has this annoying steering vibrations that can be felt every time while parking the car and sometimes when changing lanes, brought it a few times to different BMW service centers, and, every time they were able to duplicate this vibrations, but they said it was considered normal operation for BMW, none of my previous cars had that. So, go figure. Ultimate driving machine. With vibrating steering wheel. What a shame

Favorite Features

engine, automatic transmission, chassis

Suggested Improvements

Digital speedometer, like on other German cars such as Audi and Mercedes

Run flat tires
By Jan

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the first BMW I have owned. Love the car. Overall I am very pleased. I have kept the tires rotated every 5,000 miles. First time I had tires rotated the car was out of balance. The car now has 17,000 miles on it and there is a terrible roaring noisy coming from the tires. I already need new tires. No mountain driving just open road. Talked with service department and all they had to say was "these tires don't last as long". on the sport package. Had I known this I would not have purchased the car. I can't afford to purchase new tires every 18 months or so.

Favorite Features

Tightness and how the car handles.

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage out of the tires.

Clumpy Noises
By pcrc

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

When I test drove the car, I did not hear any noises. After owning I noticed some clumpy noises coming from the front of the car, and also rattling coming from the back doors. I took it in to get it checked out and they said bring it back when the noises get more pronounced. Not the kind of service level I was expecting from BMW. I should have leased. I like driving the car, but the noises are very annoying.

Favorite Features

I like the exterior styling and the handling is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the clumpy noises. Am not sure if it has anything to do with the suspension, but the Quality Assurance checks on noises should be incorporated or improved. These cars are expensive.

Where did the room go?
By HardDriver

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the most fun car to drive since my '73 Porsche. Whether on a freeway or (better yet) a twisting country road, this car is flat out fun to drive. No matter how hard I put it into a turn, it looks over its shoulder and asks, "is that all you got?" On a recent Los Angeles to San Francisco freeway trip, I got just over 30 mpg. Pros: Road hugging performance, good mileage, styling and finish. Cons: This car is essentially the same size as the Accord and Avalon. Where did all the interior room go ? I am 5'11" and it is hard to get in and out. Headroom is scarce and there is no legroom in the rear seat. The trunk is tiny. There is also a very annoying throttle lag off the line.

Favorite Features

Excellent handling road car; good mileage, finish work is excellent, inside and out. I really like the styling.

Suggested Improvements

More room in the cockpit, more legroom in the back seat. I honestly don't know how people who are bigger than I get in and out of the car.

Very Pleased Thus Far
By T Money

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I will say I am very pleased with my experience thus far. I considered the C Class Mercedes and the Lexus IS 250 but the 328i was the winner by far in every area. I have had my beautiful Jet Black work of art for a week and a half and I have not stopped smiling. I have been very surprised by the gas mileage so far after 450 miles mostly city I am averaging 24.2 very strong. I also am in love with the styling from every area of the car, it is truly exquisite. I am impressed with the interior layout. I went with the nav system and the i drive is very user friendly and fit is top notch. I cannot wait to spend the next several years enjoying every aspect of my 328i.

Favorite Features

I will say again the exterior styling is gorgeous from every angle very artful, gas mileage is exceeding my expectations thus far, the interior layout is very precise and user friendly and if you are directionally challenged as I am the nav system is well worth the investment.

Suggested Improvements

I only have a few: the first is the interior should be of more softer touch materials, the knob on the c/d audio system needs to be larger more rounded and the standard audio system should be premium rather than standard in this class.