2009 BMW 3 Series 335i xDrive Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Poor fuel injectors malfunction at 1800
By ANIBAL RIBEIRO MD

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Very poor comfort on flat run tires poor navigation on board system unpredictable fuel injectors is an ominous feature regret purchase vehicle replaced under New Jersey lemon law is good for the public to be aware.

Suggested Improvements

Buy different make car in price range of $51,000 with tax

335i AWD
By dsheff

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Traded in an M3 and a 330xi for a new 335i AWD. Sales guy said that the 335i would out-perform my M3 - I doubted him, of course. Drove my new car home in a bad snow storm and was worried about making it home safely. This car performed beautifully in the snow! Now that the roads are dry I love the performance of the turbo engine.

Favorite Features

Performance, AWD, heated seats and steering wheel!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are useless.

Drive one, you'll believe!
By Steve loves BMW

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Got this 335i Xdrive December 5, 2008 and 23000 miles later I still love it. This is work car so few options, but that doesn't diminish that it is a kick to drive. The six speed manual is great. Outstanding acceleration and handling and NO TURBO LAG! I now drive it almost all the time. Madera red and beige leatherette looks great. I loved my 2001 330i 5-speed, liked my 2004 A4, like my wife's 2005 330xi, but they all fade in comparison to this. One quibble: ordered light burlwood trim, got dark non-burl wood. Dealer said it is light and dark is darker but that's like Monty Python's dead parrot skit...."it's supposed to be that way."

Favorite Features

Six-speed stick, awesome power, max torque from 1400 RPMs up, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

I don't care for the run flats. Cup holder seem flimsy. Wish they would either make the owners manual smaller or the glove box bigger so I could put the former in the latter.

No regrets
By Steve C

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

After years of driving VW's, I walked into a BMW dealer after being treated like a second class citizen when I went to Audi to inquire on an S4. Their loss, my gain. The 335i xDrive with 6 speed manual is an amazing car... Fast, silky smooth drive, exceptional handling. iDrive is great, better than the last version I hear. Fuel consumption is average, but for a 300 hp twin turbo that oozes muscle and pure pleasure, I can't complain. 5 star driving experience all the way!

Favorite Features

Looks of the 335i's rear end, interior layout. Prefer the 2008 wheels you get with the sports package versus the ones I got on the 2009... but that's a small detail.

Suggested Improvements

No more run flat tires... give me a spare or at least the option to choose.

Why did I wait so long to buy it
By Naui

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I can't stop driving it. I want to drive cross country with it. There is nothing I can complain about the vehicle, and trust me if it even had the smallest rattle it would drive me crazy. Nothing but outstanding German build quality. Considering I am comparing it to the Honda/Acura I owned before.

Favorite Features

Engine, Steering, Handling, Radio

Suggested Improvements

None

Lemon?
By Richie1020

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Two problems have detracted from my enjoyment of the 2099 BMW 335xi. Car is back at the dealer for the third time for replacement of fuel injector jets. Four this time. I get up to speed on the highway, but do not have a heavy foot and haven't had the car on a race track. What's the story? Getting close to Lemon Law time! The run-flat, low-profile tires are just awful on New England roads. Never, never again. Hit anything a half-inch high or low and it sounds like the car is bottoming out. Extremely rough ride at even 40 mph.

Favorite Features

The new iDrive is fine. Like having the hard drive for my music. Handles beautifully except for the run-flat tires.

Suggested Improvements

Hate the lock/unlock non-options. Need to make run-flat an option.

A big step up!
By Matt

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car! Looks great. Drives great and is scary fast. Very smooth so you have to keep an eye on speed. Mileage is about as expected (21 mpg overall so far). Compared to Caddy CTS, Infiniti G37, Audi A4, Acura TL. For driving feel and fun, BMW wins easily (G37 is closest). Had trouble with sun visor pulling out of headliner, which is now fixed. Also got a flat tire on way home from the dealership - run flats came in handy! The AWD seems to work well, but the tire grip in snow/slush/ice is not great. Overall, and expensive purchase, but I have absolutely no regrets.

Favorite Features

Engine, drive feel and performance are awesome! Heated seats and steering wheel (heat up VERY fast); folding side mirrors (nice in tight garage); overall, a great ride.

Suggested Improvements

I haven't hooked up Bluetooth yet, but have been told to be careful to use approved phones only - however, the list of phones is short and outdated. Broken sun visor was frustrating.

Good performer, questionable reliability
By Jason

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

After test driving several makes and models, I bought the 335i xDrive with the sports package and nav. The car has been in the shop for approximately 2 of the 6 weeks that I have owned the car... so far (issues with a coolant pump). Car drives well on dry road but during our recent snow storm, the car had poor traction despite xDrive and the car slips and slides with the slightest braking. Most likely due to the tires that come with the Sports package. When I drove the 328xi loaner car, while my car was in the shop, it drove well in the snow. Overall, a good looking sleek car with good performance and features.

Favorite Features

Naturally, the most favorite feature is the performance. Nav works great. I read reviews about how horrible iDrive is but, I thought it is overall very user friendly. Easy blue tooth hook up to the phone.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the auto dimming feature for the rear and side view mirrors. Improve climate control. Cup holders are the worst I've seen (location and quality).