Used 2009 BMW 3 Series 328i xDrive Sedan Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Ignore the Bad Bimmer Reviews - A Lot To Enjoy
By D Needles

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

By the way, if you are going to buy the car, it's Bimmer. The other spelling is for motorcycles.

I've read the negative reviews. High maintenance costs, rock hard RFTs, suspension issues, blah, blah.....Here's my story.

Bought my 328xi black beauty with 34K for about half of the original cost. Have now owned it for 2 yrs. No major repair issues. I have a local BMW (not dealership) do most of my maintenance well below the dealer prices. I do the oil changes and plan to replace the front brakes next month. Most of what I learned about how to work on my Bimmer I got off YouTube. Trust me, you can do some of the basics or more if you care to.

RFTs? I want them. Won't see me changing a tire on the Interstate one late night. And I had a flat with one, drove it 50 miles going 50 MPH to a Costco, no damage to the rim. I replaced the OEMs with Bridgestone DriveGuard RFTs and they have been great. Much better than the OEMs. Got 25K miles on them and plenty of tread left.

Suspension issues? Yeah, it does on occasion "boom" when I hit a med sized pothole, but no damage to the car. I figure you given up something for the superior handling and overall driving experience. I see one coming, I go around it. No problem.

There is nothing like driving a well-cared for BMW, black-on-black, on a bright summer day. It's artwork in motion.

Major Issues
By Disappointed

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought a 2009 328xi with certified warranty. Under warranty the engine fan needing replacement, the rear light assembly and the air conditioning unit. My warranty expired in March 2015. It is now September 2015 and I took my car in for an oil change and front brakes and they are now telling me my front differential needs repaired and I have a cracked valve cover. Mind you my car just turned 60k.
These are all major repairs for a car that is basically 5 years old and very low miles. I am so beside myself that 6 mos after the warranty I have more large ticket items at the tune of $3k. to repair?
I will probably never buy another BMW as I have vehicles over 15 years old at home that have never had to have major work or major repair bills. I took the car down to see what the trade in value is and its only $12k after paying $32k for it 5 years ago. Wow!

48,000 miles on 2009 328i xDrive
By sduconn

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Car has been reliable, has just needed regular maintenance. Run-flat tires are awful - have replaced several and now have Continentals. No space for spare tire, but have taken long road trips over 800 miles. Performance and dynamics are excellent - brake feel, steering, acceleration are all top notch. Interior - though good for this class. Excellent ergonomics and materials. Maintenance and repair are expensive out of warranty but that's ok for this level of luxury and performance (it is a BMW). No rattles or shakes and road noise is minimal, though it is a sports sedan - ride is stiff and choppy with larger wheel size. Overall top notch sedan, few compromises.

- It's all about the performance - Easy to comprehend interior - simple dash design - Comfortable for 1-4 average sized people - Excellent in bad weather

- No more run-flat tires BMW - put a spare in somewhere - Wheels get dirty easy due to caliber placement - Not as eager as a 335i

Glad to be rid of it
By carbug5

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Got rid of my 09 BMW 3 series with X drive. I wont miss the run flat tires, or nightmare suspension. The suspension bottoms out on bumpy New England roads and is not worthy of such a high price tag. The adaptive transmission lacks the response you would expect from a sports car. The radio is dissapointing. Filling the car with gas would cause a vacume and not allow me to fill up all the way. The dealer's response to the above was oh well that's just the way it is. Got a G37x and love it so far. Much more car for the money. Now that's a driving machione

Exterior paint Interior and exterior materials

Run flat tires X drive suspension bottoms out on bumpy roads, too hard Radio poor reception and sound quality poor Gas tank vacume Interior getting dated look Too much money for what you get, just not a good value anymore

Delightful
By SD

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The car is simply a delight for me to drive - every time I get back in it, I remember how much fun it is. Couldn't ask for better steering, acceleration, visibility, or interior appointment. The iDrive is well-integrated into the vehicle and the controls are easy to learn.

Putting it in sport mode and knowing I can pass ANYONE on the highway. Also, those super fast seat- warmers are a joy in the winter.

There needs to be more storage space in the front of the vehicle. I would love somewhere to put coins, and a deeper glove box. Nav system is good but very stubborn. City/suburban gas mileage is abysmal.