2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Glad to be rid of it
By carbug5 on 02/20/12 16:55 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Got rid of my 09 BMW 3 series with X drive. I wont miss the run flat tires, or nightmare suspension. The suspension bottoms out on bumpy New England roads and is not worthy of such a high price tag. The adaptive transmission lacks the response you would expect from a sports car. The radio is dissapointing. Filling the car with gas would cause a vacume and not allow me to fill up all the way. The dealer's response to the above was oh well that's just the way it is. Got a G37x and love it so far. Much more car for the money. Now that's a driving machione

Delightful
By SD on 03/14/10 23:44 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The car is simply a delight for me to drive - every time I get back in it, I remember how much fun it is. Couldn't ask for better steering, acceleration, visibility, or interior appointment. The iDrive is well-integrated into the vehicle and the controls are easy to learn.

Great Car
By JThomas on 03/05/10 09:50 AM (PST)

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Got a nearly loaded sports premium 328xi without nav, fun to drive, excellent in snow. Be very careful with the potholes, sport tires are very low profile. it's great for the front two passengers, back seat passenger are cramped in. never had any issues with the car though. very reliable. build quality is great. Test drove the Diesel. Definitely worth getting the diesel for the torque and very impressive mileage. Will buy the 335 Diesel when the lease expires.

MORE COMPLEXITY
By DL on 02/27/10 12:28 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Looks great, AWD with winter tires makes it unstoppable in snow. Standard seats not good for long trips. Recent 1200 mile trip in 09 accord=much more comfortable in a car costing 1/2 of my 3 series. This is my third BMW, all electronics get more complex and inscrutable with each new model: bluetooth phone not well thought out, and my ipod becomes more difficult to use with BMW controls. If you like making a hobby out of learning how to use a car, BMW controls may appeal to you. Minimal storage space in passenger compartment. Lots of unfixable noises in very cold weather. On the plus side, great handling, nice ride (16 inch tires). Fold down rear seats very useful, esp with small trunk.

Perfect Sedan
By DanD on 12/28/09 10:12 AM (PST)

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Still can't believe after 19,000 miles and 6 months the car still feels GREAT. Optional Xenons are are a MUST, sports package, and cold weather package. Leatherette feels great and holds up very nicely. AWD system is the best I have ever owned. Had a 2002 Audi allroad and this car gets around just as good if not better. No complaints about the run flats. Just had it in for first service at 17k, said tires had almost no wear!! Handling is BEST in class, I drove every car in segment. Brakes are the best I have ever had. HIGHLY recommended, at least test drive, blows the new A4 out of the water in handling. 30+ mpg on my long road trips! 25+ city hwy!

Buyer's remorse
By jenn on 12/09/09 16:49 PM (PST)

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased BMW only 6 weeks ago and have buyers remorse. I drove a lexus GX470 for over 6 years and thought it was time for something fun. At first the car was great to drive. After a month or so, the excitement started to wear off. The seats are not comfortable on long distances. I started noticing that my lower back was sore but I didn't think much about it, until the other day when I drove an hour across town. On the way home my back was killing me. I started feeling like I was driving a go cart! The hands free blackberry does not sound good and my 2 kids hate riding in the back seat!

First BMW & I love it
By John on 10/06/09 12:34 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I never pictured myself as a BMW type person. Had mostly driven domestics and "base model" imports (Honda, Toyota). I absolutely love this car. Fit and finish is great. Engine is smooth and fast with great mid-range torque. A little lag at initial acceleration (x Drive related) but it was an easy thing to adjust to. Nav works great; i Drive system took a little getting used to but is user friendly once you master it. Haven't driven through a winter yet so can't comment on the AWD. Far and away the best car I've ever owned.

Very expeneisve RFT
By kazakci on 07/25/09 10:48 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is so much fun to drive and so expensive to maintain. It has been 8 months. Finally I hit a pot hole in New York City and had a bubble on the side. Our dealer changed the tire and charged $488 for one single tire!!! I had insurance and expected to be reimbursed. However, this is another sign that this is a premium car and it is expensive to drive.

Rattling Noise, high pitch noise and etc.
By westwind on 07/09/09 22:30 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 328 i AWD sedan in May 2009. It has 1500 miles. I am extremely dissatisfied with it with the following reasons - Under the hood BMW uses many plastic protection covers that cause rattling noise on rough roads - Rattling noise inside both rear doors - Rattling noise coming from cheaply designed cup holders in the front and rear. - Rattling noise inside the armrest between two rear seats. - Major rattling noise coming from inside the dashboard. - Poor engine noise insulation. The hood surface facing the engine does not have any foaming, unlike many other cars. - Flat drive tires cause stiff road experience. - Poor speech detection. This is my second 3 series, but it will be the last.

AWD Fun
By Bimmer man on 07/06/09 12:52 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Traded a 2003 325I for the 328 X Drive to help w/ the midwestern winter. Love the car, more refined than the 2003. A tad quicker, a tad bigger. Little concerned about a front end noise when entering parking lots or the driveway. We also have a 2004 G35X, stronger engine, more interior space but not nearly as refined as the BMW overall.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan in NJ is:

$259 per month*