2009 BMW 3 Series 328i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Ultimate Driving Machine
By faljrgray

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned BMW since 1991, a 318is with a m42 motor that got me 355,000 miles (Still Running Strong). I now have a 2009 328i that is a perfect driving machine. Yes there will be some repairs but BMW is an icon not an interloper like Acura and Infinity that is still trying to copy the BMW, yes copy the BMW. The Germans conceive and build the automobile as the Japanese attempt to perfect the automobile for a cheaper price. I also own a Harley Davidson that is the real deal not like the interloper of all the metric bikes. The Japanese Motorcycle industry make motorcycles that look like a Harley but Harley copies no one nor does BMW. Do you want a interloper or the real deal for less...?

Favorite Features

Handling, sport ride, performance and knowing I'm driving the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Suggested Improvements

The cost of maintenance and parts that arise from time to time.

Wants to get out of town, and run on the open road!
By laselva

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is great to drive! Loves to get out of traffic and run on the open road...just let it go! Run flats are fine (standard tires, not low profile) and I'm getting over 31 mpg on the highway (@75 mph). Quiet interior. Great road feel. Just point and go.

Favorite Features

Responsive handeling, quick shifting and comfortable ride. Looks great, nice fit and finish. 5 years old and no rattles or squeaks.

Suggested Improvements

Seating surface, and knee bolster. Drink holders.

Slight improvement over the 2006 325i - Excellent Car
By dic_camarillo

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

A slight improvement over our 2006 325i. Slightly better looking, a little more power, good navigation system, nice stereo controls - though a bit confusing and I love the speed warning feature (makes a noise and light comes on when set speed is hit or passed). The Bluetooth works well. The Navigation is much better than the Toyota version. Great visibility, great balance, superb handling, comfortable, spacious front seats, great looking, smooth, the right balance of power and fuel economy, comfortable seats, nice quality materials, doesn't feel cheap anywhere in or out of the car, back seats are tight, trip computer is nice feature. This car is the perfect entry level sports sedan!

Favorite Features

Precise steering, great suspension, perfect amount of power, good gas mileage, reliable, quality materials, nice choice of features, great visibility, smooth at highway speed, good looking body, comfortable supportive seats, 4 years free maintenance, not too big, not too small, window/sunroof operated by key fob, push button start, quiet inside, luxury feel. No Japanese cars can match the comfort and performance. On the European side, VW is cheap feeling and underpowered, Audi cars are expensive to keep running, the C Class is nice, but not as sporty, Volvo isn't as engaging and Jaguar is on another planet. For the niche market they are in, BMW 3 series is the benchmark.

Suggested Improvements

The back seat needs a little more leg room. Truly a 4 passenger car - the back seat drive shaft hump is tall - nobody can sit in the middle seat.

Not worth the money!
By bconne66

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased the vehicle about 18 months ago and sadly it has been disappointing for the most part. First, the ride was rough and the run flats tires were terrible. I just traded them in for regular Michelin tires and what a difference though still not a great ride as I expected. Yes, there is no spare in the vehicle so RFT's or not the peace of mind of taking a long road trip is out of the question. The radio and other systems are difficult to understand and not user easy. Just today the the low oil light came on.System never gave a signal that the oil was getting low prior until this dangerous point. I had to buy the oil and sit by the roadside to put it in just not luxury at all. Audi!!!!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

None

Truly a driver's car
By adityab

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After much deliberation, I took delivery of a gently used 2009 BMW 328i a couple of days ago. Like many BMW owners, I bought it for its driving dynamics. The reviews from every publication are glowing, and there's good reason. You get the feeling that every single tactile element in the car has been calibrated for your enjoyment. The driving position, the seats, the contours of the steering wheel, the linear and predictable responses, the hefty brakes, and the buttery smooth engine all make for an inimitable driving experience. If you're in the market for a visceral ride but need to be practical, look no further. I've driven an S2000 and an Aston Martin and the 328 still feels magical.

Favorite Features

The chassis is unflappable (the car makes you feel like a much better driver than you are), the interior is built beautifully, the base stereo is excellent, the bi-xenons can burn trees to the ground, and the sport package's seats/steering wheel/suspension are well designed.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the run-flats with conventional tires and a spare - they're too expensive to replace, and the road hazard program is pricey. Also, you need a proprietary BMW cable to run your IPod. Please design this system to work with the standard cable supplied with the mp3 player.

Steering wheel vibrations
By bmax-car

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My previous car was 2008 Mercedes c- class c300, nice car and it was problems free had better sound/radio system, sunroof and rain sensing wipers feature was better vs BMW's, my 2009 BMW 328i drives better than MB c- class, but it has this annoying steering vibrations that can be felt every time while parking the car and sometimes when changing lanes, brought it a few times to different BMW service centers, and, every time they were able to duplicate this vibrations, but they said it was considered normal operation for BMW, none of my previous cars had that. So, go figure. Ultimate driving machine. With vibrating steering wheel. What a shame

Favorite Features

engine, automatic transmission, chassis

Suggested Improvements

Digital speedometer, like on other German cars such as Audi and Mercedes

Run flat tires
By Jan

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the first BMW I have owned. Love the car. Overall I am very pleased. I have kept the tires rotated every 5,000 miles. First time I had tires rotated the car was out of balance. The car now has 17,000 miles on it and there is a terrible roaring noisy coming from the tires. I already need new tires. No mountain driving just open road. Talked with service department and all they had to say was "these tires don't last as long". on the sport package. Had I known this I would not have purchased the car. I can't afford to purchase new tires every 18 months or so.

Favorite Features

Tightness and how the car handles.

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage out of the tires.

Clumpy Noises
By pcrc

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

When I test drove the car, I did not hear any noises. After owning I noticed some clumpy noises coming from the front of the car, and also rattling coming from the back doors. I took it in to get it checked out and they said bring it back when the noises get more pronounced. Not the kind of service level I was expecting from BMW. I should have leased. I like driving the car, but the noises are very annoying.

Favorite Features

I like the exterior styling and the handling is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the clumpy noises. Am not sure if it has anything to do with the suspension, but the Quality Assurance checks on noises should be incorporated or improved. These cars are expensive.

Where did the room go?
By HardDriver

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the most fun car to drive since my '73 Porsche. Whether on a freeway or (better yet) a twisting country road, this car is flat out fun to drive. No matter how hard I put it into a turn, it looks over its shoulder and asks, "is that all you got?" On a recent Los Angeles to San Francisco freeway trip, I got just over 30 mpg. Pros: Road hugging performance, good mileage, styling and finish. Cons: This car is essentially the same size as the Accord and Avalon. Where did all the interior room go ? I am 5'11" and it is hard to get in and out. Headroom is scarce and there is no legroom in the rear seat. The trunk is tiny. There is also a very annoying throttle lag off the line.

Favorite Features

Excellent handling road car; good mileage, finish work is excellent, inside and out. I really like the styling.

Suggested Improvements

More room in the cockpit, more legroom in the back seat. I honestly don't know how people who are bigger than I get in and out of the car.

Very Pleased Thus Far
By T Money

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I will say I am very pleased with my experience thus far. I considered the C Class Mercedes and the Lexus IS 250 but the 328i was the winner by far in every area. I have had my beautiful Jet Black work of art for a week and a half and I have not stopped smiling. I have been very surprised by the gas mileage so far after 450 miles mostly city I am averaging 24.2 very strong. I also am in love with the styling from every area of the car, it is truly exquisite. I am impressed with the interior layout. I went with the nav system and the i drive is very user friendly and fit is top notch. I cannot wait to spend the next several years enjoying every aspect of my 328i.

Favorite Features

I will say again the exterior styling is gorgeous from every angle very artful, gas mileage is exceeding my expectations thus far, the interior layout is very precise and user friendly and if you are directionally challenged as I am the nav system is well worth the investment.

Suggested Improvements

I only have a few: the first is the interior should be of more softer touch materials, the knob on the c/d audio system needs to be larger more rounded and the standard audio system should be premium rather than standard in this class.