Used 2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 61 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Ignore the Bad Bimmer Reviews - A Lot To Enjoy
By D Needles

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

By the way, if you are going to buy the car, it's Bimmer. The other spelling is for motorcycles.

I've read the negative reviews. High maintenance costs, rock hard RFTs, suspension issues, blah, blah.....Here's my story.

Bought my 328xi black beauty with 34K for about half of the original cost. Have now owned it for 2 yrs. No major repair issues. I have a local BMW (not dealership) do most of my maintenance well below the dealer prices. I do the oil changes and plan to replace the front brakes next month. Most of what I learned about how to work on my Bimmer I got off YouTube. Trust me, you can do some of the basics or more if you care to.

RFTs? I want them. Won't see me changing a tire on the Interstate one late night. And I had a flat with one, drove it 50 miles going 50 MPH to a Costco, no damage to the rim. I replaced the OEMs with Bridgestone DriveGuard RFTs and they have been great. Much better than the OEMs. Got 25K miles on them and plenty of tread left.

Suspension issues? Yeah, it does on occasion "boom" when I hit a med sized pothole, but no damage to the car. I figure you given up something for the superior handling and overall driving experience. I see one coming, I go around it. No problem.

There is nothing like driving a well-cared for BMW, black-on-black, on a bright summer day. It's artwork in motion.

Major Issues
By Disappointed

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought a 2009 328xi with certified warranty. Under warranty the engine fan needing replacement, the rear light assembly and the air conditioning unit. My warranty expired in March 2015. It is now September 2015 and I took my car in for an oil change and front brakes and they are now telling me my front differential needs repaired and I have a cracked valve cover. Mind you my car just turned 60k.
These are all major repairs for a car that is basically 5 years old and very low miles. I am so beside myself that 6 mos after the warranty I have more large ticket items at the tune of $3k. to repair?
I will probably never buy another BMW as I have vehicles over 15 years old at home that have never had to have major work or major repair bills. I took the car down to see what the trade in value is and its only $12k after paying $32k for it 5 years ago. Wow!

48,000 miles on 2009 328i xDrive
By sduconn

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Car has been reliable, has just needed regular maintenance. Run-flat tires are awful - have replaced several and now have Continentals. No space for spare tire, but have taken long road trips over 800 miles. Performance and dynamics are excellent - brake feel, steering, acceleration are all top notch. Interior - though good for this class. Excellent ergonomics and materials. Maintenance and repair are expensive out of warranty but that's ok for this level of luxury and performance (it is a BMW). No rattles or shakes and road noise is minimal, though it is a sports sedan - ride is stiff and choppy with larger wheel size. Overall top notch sedan, few compromises.

- It's all about the performance - Easy to comprehend interior - simple dash design - Comfortable for 1-4 average sized people - Excellent in bad weather

- No more run-flat tires BMW - put a spare in somewhere - Wheels get dirty easy due to caliber placement - Not as eager as a 335i

Ultimate Driving Machine - two years later
By faljrgray

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned BMW since 1991, a 318is with a m42 motor that got me 355,000 miles (Still Running Strong). I now have a 2009 328i that is a perfect driving machine. Yes there will be some repairs but BMW is an icon not an interloper like Acura and Infinity that is still trying to copy the BMW, yes copy the BMW. The Germans conceive and build the automobile as the Japanese attempt to perfect the automobile for a cheaper price. I also own a Harley Davidson that is the real deal not like the interloper of all the metric bikes.
The Japanese Motorcycle industry make motorcycles that look like a Harley but Harley copies no one nor does BMW. Do you want a interloper or the real deal for less...?

Update...6/03/2016

Two years later I'm totally satisfied with my 328i. I just replaced my set of Pirelli tires with a new set (90V). So basically 45 to 50 thousand miles of fantastic handling. If you want to just get to point B there are many cars to choose from but if you want get there with an Ultimate Driving Experience the BMW does that for you.

Wants to get out of town, and run on the open road!
By laselva

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is great to drive! Loves to get out of traffic and run on the open road...just let it go! Run flats are fine (standard tires, not low profile) and I'm getting over 31 mpg on the highway (@75 mph). Quiet interior. Great road feel. Just point and go.

Responsive handeling, quick shifting and comfortable ride. Looks great, nice fit and finish. 5 years old and no rattles or squeaks.

Seating surface, and knee bolster. Drink holders.