Used 2009 BMW 3 Series Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW 3 Series Diesel - Consumer Reviews

335d 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Automatic - (14 reviews )

A True 4 door sport car!!
By rmorin1249

2009 BMW 3 Series Diesel 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have been driving BMWs for over 30 years and when the 335d was released I waited for a couple years and then pulled the trigger. I couldn't be more pleased. I use this car as a daily driver on a 60 mile round trip commute. I am averaging between 32 and 34 mpg. The acceleration is on par with my 335i convertible but the low end torque is awesome. The car handles very well and does provide comfortable seating for 4 adults. My wife cannot believe it is a diesel. There is almost no diesel noise inside the car except at idle with the radio and HVAC off. At highway speeds you would never know you are driving a diesel. There is absolutely no smoke and no smell. Awesome car!!

Acceleration Handling BMW quality

None

VROOM!
By DieselNorthernNJ

2009 BMW 3 Series Diesel 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I'm a car junkie. Been through 4 cars in the past 3 years. 07 328xi, 09 328i manual (CPO), 09 G37x (the 328i manual annoyed me - radio was whacked out without a fix supposedly, so tried Japanese) and now 09 CPO 335d. I missed the engineering of a BMW and when I saw this 335d CPO, I had to try it. The itch hit me after the test drive and I bought it. The car is incredible. Power and efficiency amazing. Low end torque so fun, but it's even better to go 60 mph and then floor it. Gets to 100 mph in a snap. Hitting the turns and winding roads feels so much better in this car than the G37X. Getting about 32 mpg in mixed driving. The engine growl - a muscle car in disguise!

Power availability, navigation, efficiency, BMW "feel" (I hope they don't ruin it with next 3 redesign like they did with the 2011 5 - steering feels terrible in the 5). 2 years left on maintenance and service plan. Standard radio's not bad actually.

My 3rd 3 series - dumb cupholders. Storage is limited somewhat, but car isn't meant to be a junk hauler. Hoping the fuel pump issues with the 335i don't come into play with the 335d. I read the 335d has a different pump and system. Small rattles once in a while, but performance reigns!

335D when can I drive it again
By erick335

2009 BMW 3 Series Diesel 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

My wife and I purchased a fully loaded used 335d. We have almost every option but most importantly we have the sport suspension. The car is amazing in every aspect. We are coming out of a 2006 Is350. The Is350 was a little faster but not nearly as fun to drive. We have gotten 38-39mpg on the hwy @75-80 mph. The car is problem free unlike the 335i. I know the 335i is faster but for $300 dollars you can chip the 335d. The best part of the experience is seeing other driver faces, as your putting diesel in the car.

The quiet torque monster under the hood. Upgraded sound system (logic 7). Sport suspension

none

Nav
By jack

2009 BMW 3 Series Diesel 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I drove from CA to OR last month. After a 4 hrs drive, I stopped and refueled. and the nav just kept restarting itself again and again, the idrive was unable to function. luckily i got some paper maps or else. Other than that, it was fun to drive..

fun to drive, exterior design and handling

noise, especially the sound system, and make sure the nav is reliable

335d 2009 Great Car
By MJ

2009 BMW 3 Series Diesel 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

If any one is looking for a 335 BMW. Take a close look at the 335d. It is very fast, 425 lbs ft. of torque and 265 hp. It to me feels much faster than the 335i in normal around town driving. I now have just about 7000 miles on it. No problems at all. I also have a lexus for my wife. The reliability is the same both, great. However the big plus is the mileage. I get 30 mpg around town and 39 on the highway . The 335i cannot do that. There is no diesel smell or smoke ever. Diesel fuel cost is at or just below high test in Northern Va.

Power , Mileage , Very supportive sport seats. Big tires . Safety. Nav is great and very easy to use. Great sound on the upgraded stereo.

My car has the sport package. BMW should allow the choice between summer tires and all-season high performance tires.