Used 2009 BMW 3 Series Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW 3 Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Potential to be a really great car.
By Joey L

2009 BMW 3 Series Coupe 335i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Make no mistake. This is one of the best cars I have ever had, out of about 10. I have a 335 with sports package, premium package and 20 inch wheels. Jet black with dealer installed blueing of the chrome, and window tinting. It is a fairly sharp looking car. On a good road, it handles and accelerates really well. It is great for a driving trip with good roads. The premium stereo is best sounding I have owned. Even after 6 years the interior still smells like a new leather wallet (analogy upcoming). Get this car on a well paved road, switch to sport mode and let it rip. It is a very happy experience. However, it is likely to cost you. After i settle down from paying the bills I can joke about it. But I think there is a computer chip somewhere inside the makes things start to fail after the service contract ends. For example, on the first service visit after the contract ended, they advised spark plugs and wheel alignment. That was $1600. (of course this includes the World-class check up). After a big rainstorm the computer thought the engine was overheating and made the car slow down on the freeway to 25 MPH. That was fun. Be prepared for unsympathetic people when you drive a BMW. After 3 service visits they figured out it was water leaking into the battery compartment and cabling conduit. That was $3400. Tires? $1700, every two years. Gotta love them run-flats. I figure the car smells like a wallet to remind you of how much money you will need to continue to put into it. Even with that, I really like this car. I sort of expected it was going to cost a lot once the warranty was up. But not quite that much. I think that If I do this again, I would lease and make sure the lease ends before the warranty does. But then it would be hard to get the extras just right. That is, the sports package really does ride better than the standard suspension (I really did try both) and the premium stereo is really good sounding (I did try both).

Wanted the Experience
By freeflowin

2009 BMW 3 Series Coupe 335i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought used with 8k miles. Looks great runs great. Fantastic to drive and handles unbelievably. The car is very tight and fast. Only complaint is I have had to have 4 recalls preformed so far, which is annoying. Three of which I figured would come and it wasn't a big deal (all relating to the fuel pump), the fourth was for a wire in the tail light....so that was annoying to have to go in for 4 hours to have looked at. I have a 09 Silverado with three times as many miles and ZERO problems.

Seats, leather/interior quality. Ipod, Bluetooth. Steptronic shifters. Montego Blue color. The keyless entry and start is flipping awesome. So just the overall technology of the car. Free maintance program for four years is awesome. No cost to me.

Run flat tires are expensive and rough riding. The computer is difficult to use without I-drive. Ipod and Sat radio menu always go back to beginning and is a pain to get the songs you want, you have to scroll too much. Lower the price of the cars a few grand.

No Car Is Perfect
By theomdude

2009 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I traded a 330Ci with SMG for a leased 2009 328i Coupe with paddle shifted Steptronic. I loved my 330, and this car is close, but not quite there. The luxury details on my Premium/Sport Pkg. example, like the ambient lighting, is cool and material quality seems top notch. But the car seems "fatter" and the specs say it is, by 66 lbs. That doesn't account for the extra weight of the SMG in the 330, so it's probably close to a wash. The hp is up by 5 & torque is down 15 but the sense of slight softness in acceleration is probably the difference between a clutch and a torque converter. I've seen 130 on a short straight so I'm not complaining. At my modest skill level the turbo would be wasted.

The balance of the overall package remains difficult to beat. I like that they gave up the pretense of a five -seater, and gave the interior a GT look with the console extended into the rear compartment. While it's grown to match wheelbase with the old E-34 5-series, it's still compact enough to execute a U-turn on our residential street. Styling proportions are still spot-on, the handling and braking are better than my driving can exploit, while protecting me when my limitations become apparent. There are faster cars, cheaper cars, and more luxurious cars, but aside from a Mini or a Lotus, none that are more fun to drive. The articulated seats in the Sport Package are still among the best.

The same level of luxury in the old E-46 dimensions would have been nice, but that's a pipe dream. Ditto the return of a real dipstick. Giving the buyer the option of a real spare and non-run-flat tires would be useful. The 2006 330i had 255 hp and 220 lb-ft of torque, and that would have been nice to have. I know Germans abhor the idea of doing anything but driving when you're behind the wheel, but a cup holder that will keep a Vente Latte from scalding the passenger's lap at the first swerve would be a huge improvement for many Americans.

Glad it's gone
By click click click

2009 BMW 3 Series Coupe 335i xDrive 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had my car in so many times I gave up on getting it fixed. No help at two different dealerships. The car was totaled in an accident, yes it may have saved my life but I'm not buying another BMW. If they can't fix them why buy one. Five years 50k means nothing if you drive 25k a year.

Follow-up review after 17K miles
By Michael

2009 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328i xDrive 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Well, it's now almost 2 full seasons of winter later, 2 oil changes - and this car is as responsive as my first drive with it.. maybe even more so as the CDV issue seems to have disappeared after the "break-in" period. Had a couple issues with the tire-pressure-monitor system going off when winter rolled through; nothing that a trip to the dealership couldn't resolve. Started noticing various things "creaking" such as the drivers seat (when applying mid/upper back pressure) and the center console elbow rest. Also, the rear-window dot matrix makes it impossible to get a nice uniform tint. If you can look past these, then IMO, this is still the absolute best luxury AWD coupe on the road.

I haven't noticed any "new" features since my initial reviews - but I did add the OEM M3 lip spoiler to my trunk lid, along with a 35/20% tint job. Now my car is very, very close to my idea of the perfect all-season daily driver.

Please do something about the dot matrix on the rear window - or simply offer an option for a factory installed rear window tint. This might be a stretch, but how about providing RFTs as part of the 4-year covered warranty? Then your customers would have ultimate peace of mind.

• SUV