Used 2009 BMW 3 Series Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW 3 Series Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Almost Perfect...
By cheapdeep

2009 BMW 3 Series Convertible 335i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Third BMW I've owned. BMW got a lot right but they also got a lot wrong. The engine, transmission, styling and handling are all incredible. But everybody knows that. The ergonomics and interior leave a lot to be desired. BMW really lost the form follows function on this one. The cup holders are obvious but where do I put my sunglasses? I don't have keyless start so what's the point of the start button? Instead of putting in a key and turning, I now have and extra unneeded step to start the car. And iDrive? Everything on there could be replaced by a $40 burner phone from Walmart. It's pretty useless although it does look pretty.

Engine, transmission, power, drive, handling and styling are all spectacular! I can't overstate this, the car is amazing to drive. They got all the hard stuff perfect. It's frustrating since the mistakes are all the easy things they should have down by now.

Ergonomics stink, interior design needs a lot of work. Constant warning lights for everything. Run flats are horrible! Seriously, what was BMW thinking? We are going to take a perfect suspension and add the worst possible tires to it. Bouncy, rough, loud. The BMW dealer where I am isn't very good which is unfortunate since I'm at the dealer for something or another every few months like... the top hasn't stopped rattling since I bought it.

Great Convertible
By Tony

2009 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW and my first convertible and I'm duly impressed with both. The car looks and rides great and can be a lot of fun to drive. It's great for long trips as long as your are in the front two seats. Some quirky things like the drive side cup holder is basically on the passenger side and the "wood" interior that's tough to keep clean and spots off of keep the interior from being perfect. The break dust is the absolute worse, especially on the stock 328i wheels. After a year I'm looking to get new wheels because of it. Overall a great car but after getting a 335i as a loaner during maintenance, if I had to do it again it's go for the bigger engine.

Quick folding hard top roof is fantastic. Great styling, front two seats are very comfortable, great highway ride

Get rid of the standard 328i wheels, they are break dust magnates and ruin the look of the car. The rear seat leg room is way too small, even for a small teenager on anything other than 30 minute or less trip. Need a better driver side cup holder.

Functional and Fun
By LeCanard

2009 BMW 3 Series Convertible 335i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I don't regret buying this car for one second! It is incredibly fun to drive, looks great, and performs like a BMW should. It sticks to the road like glue and makes even the most boring commute bearable with it's performance and style. I have had no problems with this car so far and it has not required any return trips to the dealer. I was going to get the 328 initially, but after driving the 335 I knew I wouldn't be as happy as I am now with the extra HP afforded by the 335.

Automatic transmission with DS mode. DS mode makes an automatic great... went in wanted a manual transmission but after driving the automatic I was converted. Comfort Access - worth it. Push button start - love it. Seats and all the adjustments are great! Interior styling is perfect.

Small cupholders in dash can be awkward. Would like to not have to be perfectly stationary to put top down or up (at least you don't have to be in park). Would like option to not have run flats.

Ultimate Convertible Great FUN to RIDE
By Danny

2009 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW convertible and it is a blast. The German engineering is without question. The folding convertible top is an engineering marvel. Takes 23 seconds to fold into the trunk. I was happy to see that I still had room in the trunk to store some small things after the top had been stored in this area. Excellent pick up and the interior workmanship is top notch. This is quite the head turner and when you put the top down, you will draw an audience. Fantastic car and fun to drive.

Convertible top, interior styling and outside finish. Drives great and is quite the head turner. Bluetooth and XM radio are the bomb. Sport package and premium package finish it out nicely.

Quite frankly, I really can't think of any but if I had one it would be a bit more storage, otherwise this is a 10.

Perfect Fit, Finish, and Design
By klutch1

2009 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

By far, one of the greatest BMWs I have ever owned. Make that one of the best built, highly refined autos I have ever driven. Excellent power, great fit and finish, and just the ultimate driving experience. Bar-none, the best 2 door convertible available on the market today. And BMW makes it so easy to own with low financing and very easy credit. A+++