Used 2009 BMW 3 Series 328i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

No Car Is Perfect
By theomdude

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I traded a 330Ci with SMG for a leased 2009 328i Coupe with paddle shifted Steptronic. I loved my 330, and this car is close, but not quite there. The luxury details on my Premium/Sport Pkg. example, like the ambient lighting, is cool and material quality seems top notch. But the car seems "fatter" and the specs say it is, by 66 lbs. That doesn't account for the extra weight of the SMG in the 330, so it's probably close to a wash. The hp is up by 5 & torque is down 15 but the sense of slight softness in acceleration is probably the difference between a clutch and a torque converter. I've seen 130 on a short straight so I'm not complaining. At my modest skill level the turbo would be wasted.

Favorite Features

The balance of the overall package remains difficult to beat. I like that they gave up the pretense of a five -seater, and gave the interior a GT look with the console extended into the rear compartment. While it's grown to match wheelbase with the old E-34 5-series, it's still compact enough to execute a U-turn on our residential street. Styling proportions are still spot-on, the handling and braking are better than my driving can exploit, while protecting me when my limitations become apparent. There are faster cars, cheaper cars, and more luxurious cars, but aside from a Mini or a Lotus, none that are more fun to drive. The articulated seats in the Sport Package are still among the best.

Suggested Improvements

The same level of luxury in the old E-46 dimensions would have been nice, but that's a pipe dream. Ditto the return of a real dipstick. Giving the buyer the option of a real spare and non-run-flat tires would be useful. The 2006 330i had 255 hp and 220 lb-ft of torque, and that would have been nice to have. I know Germans abhor the idea of doing anything but driving when you're behind the wheel, but a cup holder that will keep a Vente Latte from scalding the passenger's lap at the first swerve would be a huge improvement for many Americans.

My 5th BMW in 4 years 09 BMW 328i coupe
By My fifth BMW

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am a disappointed buyer of beautifully sculpted 3 series coupe. I have test driven everything that BMW made the last 4 years and I do own four BMWs currently all bought new. So, here are the probs I had so far with current mileage of 12,500: 1. before 2000 miles, my car needed alignment. 2. Averaging once every two weeks, my BMW constantly requires air on two rear tires. 3. 8,700miles - replaced my left rear tire. 4. 9,800 miles - engine light came on and had to take it in. 5. 10,900 - my engine light came on again after it was fixed. 6. 10,000 miles- called BMW corp and made complaint. 7. 11,500 - they told me they will call me back & it's been two weeks with no return call. Shame on them.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

1. Transmission - not smooth although quicker, it shifts untimely. 2. Power - car does not apply pwr like a BMW. 3. Needs better quality speakers. 4. Seats - comes with sport package and it hurts your back. I recommend the seats that are used in 3 series sedan.

Good - Not Perfect
By Ernie

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

If you're a 'driver' you'll love the steering, suspension and handling. Plus, the car is tight, engine is smooth and interior is perfect. But... HD radio is terrible. Constantly flips in & out of HD, save your money. BMW won't fix it. Auto trans is also sketchy. In sport mode it won't ever go to 6th gear and regular mode just doesn't downshift readily. If you're doing 40 MPH and step on it, it bogs down unless you press deep on the pedal. It makes the car feel underpowered. But you can punch it down a gear (or 2) with paddle shifters (I have sport pkg). Had a 330i with 5-spd prior to this and power wise, this is a little disappointing. If you're on the fence... get the Turbo! Wish I did.

Favorite Features

Sport package seats and heaters (they're fast). Chunky steering wheel. Exterior style. Back seat is most usable in this class.

Suggested Improvements

BMW engineers should drive an Acura to see how an auto should work. I'm not crazy about turbos (which is why I didn't buy one) so I'd like to see a stronger non-turbo (AKA the old 330 motor). BMW should make it possible to buy car without run-flats - they're really stupid about this.

RFT's ruin this car
By JRMACH1

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Recently bought '09 328I coupe with Premium and Sporkts pkg. The car is outstanding in every aspect except for the Run Flat Tires (RFT) which come on the car. The tires produce so much road noise that they totally ruin the BMW experience. If you don't mind a sports/luxury car that has the road noise of a 4 wheel drive truck/suv then you will love this car. Wish I could get my '02 325CIc back.

Favorite Features

Handling and speed.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of RFT tires or make them optional for buyers.

The Ultimate driving machine
By jbmw3

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 4th 3-series, and I should have done more research. When AC is on, the engine does not feel as smooth as it should when stopped at a red light. Driving at speeds of 40 miles per hour, you can hear high pitch sound. The run flat tires are a good idea, but makes the ride feel more stiff, tires wear out quicker than regular tires, and the tires cost about 150 dollars more per tire. Gasoline requirement is recommended 93 top tier gasoline. One interesting thing I noticed is that if their are no error codes during the diagnostic testing, you can forget about BMW looking into it. The part has to break down.

Favorite Features

NAV, play DVD movies while in park, HD AM/FM radio.

Suggested Improvements

A car at this price should be more refined.